Meta-Stable States in Atoms & Lasers: Exploring Beyond Bohr & Schrodinger

Metastable_statesIn summary, The conversation is about meta stable states in atoms and their role in lasing action. The question is whether these states can be explained by Bohrs atomic model or Schrodinger's probabilistic orbits. It is mentioned that these states are prescribed by quantum mechanics.
moatasim23
Hey..!Its been a long time since I last posted..Any how I returned..
My question is about mEta stable states in atoms in Lasing Action.Wt actually these states are?And are they justifiable by Bohrs atomic model or Schrodinger Probabilistic orbits?If not then from where these additional states came?

Physics news on Phys.org
moatasim23 said:
Hey..!Its been a long time since I last posted..Any how I returned..
My question is about mEta stable states in atoms in Lasing Action.Wt actually these states are?And are they justifiable by Bohrs atomic model or Schrodinger Probabilistic orbits?If not then from where these additional states came?

They are excited states of the electrons - quantum mechanics presribes them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser

1. What are meta-stable states in atoms and lasers?

Meta-stable states in atoms and lasers refer to energy states that are long-lived, but not permanent. They are typically achieved through the use of external energy sources, such as lasers, and can be thought of as "excited" states of an atom or molecule.

2. How are meta-stable states different from stable states?

Unlike stable states, which are permanent energy states of an atom or molecule, meta-stable states are temporary and require a constant source of energy to maintain. They also have longer lifetimes compared to other excited states.

3. What is the significance of studying meta-stable states?

Studying meta-stable states allows us to better understand the behavior and properties of atoms and molecules at high energy levels. This knowledge has many practical applications, such as in laser technology and atomic clocks.

4. How do scientists explore beyond Bohr and Schrodinger's models when studying meta-stable states?

While Bohr and Schrodinger's models of the atom provide a solid foundation for understanding the behavior of electrons, they do not fully account for the behavior of atoms at higher energy levels. Scientists use advanced techniques, such as quantum mechanics and spectroscopy, to study meta-stable states and expand upon these models.

5. Can meta-stable states be observed in everyday life?

Meta-stable states are not commonly observed in everyday life, as they require specialized equipment and conditions to be achieved. However, they play a crucial role in many technological advancements, such as in lasers used for surgery or in atomic clocks used for precise timekeeping.