How related is Number Theory to Physics?

In summary, number theory has a significant role in physics, particularly in fields like quantum mechanics and cryptography. It is believed that advanced theories, such as M-Theory, may require new types of mathematics to be developed. The application of number theory in physics is not limited to just Fermat's Last Theorem, but also in areas like quantum mechanics. Its practical usefulness can be seen in cryptographic algorithms.
Calabi_Yau
As I've read and been told, you can never know too much mathematics when you study physics, and I think I read it somewhere here. I have also read that cutting-edge theories like M-Theory need most likely a new the invention of a new type of mathematics to be developed.

But my question is, how does number theory relate to physics? I would like to know its direct, or indirect applications, how did the Fermat's Last Theorem proof have possiby contributed to our understanding of the universe? I imagine there is much more to number theory than that, as my knowledge about the subject does not go much further than a bit of modular arithmetics.

This is by no means a rant against number theory, I'm only asking it because I am becoming very interested in it, and would like to know more about its pratical usefulness.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. I, personally, don't know, but I can guess that a lot of the applications of NT are to be found in quantum mechanics.

1. How is Number Theory used in Physics?

Number Theory is used in Physics to study and understand the patterns and relationships between numbers and objects in the physical world. It helps in describing and explaining the behavior of particles and systems through mathematical equations and models.

2. What are some real-world applications of Number Theory in Physics?

Some real-world applications of Number Theory in Physics include quantum mechanics, electromagnetic theory, and statistical mechanics. Number Theory is also used in fields such as cosmology, astrophysics, and fluid dynamics.

3. Can Number Theory be used to predict physical phenomena?

Yes, Number Theory can be used to predict physical phenomena by analyzing patterns and relationships between numbers. For example, the prime number distribution has been used to predict the behavior of chaotic systems in physics.

4. How does Number Theory relate to the fundamental laws of Physics?

Number Theory plays a crucial role in the development of the fundamental laws of Physics. Many physical laws and theories, such as the laws of motion and the theory of relativity, are based on mathematical concepts and principles derived from Number Theory.

5. Are there any current research areas where Number Theory and Physics intersect?

Yes, there are many current research areas where Number Theory and Physics intersect, including string theory, quantum gravity, and quantum information theory. These fields use advanced concepts and techniques from Number Theory to study and understand the fundamental laws of the universe.