Finding the Minimum of the Scalar Potential in F-Term SUSY Breaking

In summary, F term breaking potential is a concept in theoretical physics that describes the potential energy associated with the breaking of symmetry in the vacuum state of a field theory. It is crucial in the study of supersymmetry and its breaking mechanisms, as it is responsible for breaking the symmetry between bosons and fermions and determining the masses of superpartners. Its significance lies in its ability to incorporate supersymmetry into particle physics models and provide a more elegant and unified framework for understanding the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. F term breaking potential is calculated through mathematical equations and has real-world applications in various areas of physics, including particle physics, cosmology, and string theory.
pleasehelpmeno
In F term SUSY breaking, is the minimum of V just:

[itex]V=\sum^{N}_{i}|F_i|^2 [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
pleasehelpmeno said:
In F term SUSY breaking, is the minimum of V just:

[itex]V=\sum^{N}_{i}|F_i|^2 [/itex]

That is the expression for the scalar potential. Before you can find a minimum, you need to use the equation of motion for [itex]F_i[/itex], which leads to a dependence on the scalar fields, [itex]F_i = f_i(\phi_j),[/itex] so that [itex]V = V(\phi_j)[/itex]. A minimum is the solution to [itex]\partial V/\partial\phi_i=0[/itex] with the correct properties on the 2nd derivatives.

1. What is F term breaking potential?

F term breaking potential is a concept in theoretical physics that describes the potential energy associated with the breaking of symmetry in the vacuum state of a field theory. It is a key component in the study of supersymmetry and its breaking mechanisms.

2. How is F term breaking potential related to supersymmetry?

F term breaking potential is a crucial aspect of supersymmetry because it is responsible for breaking the symmetry between bosons and fermions, resulting in a more realistic model of particle physics. It plays a crucial role in determining the masses of superpartners in supersymmetric theories.

3. What is the significance of F term breaking potential?

F term breaking potential is significant because it allows for the incorporation of supersymmetry in particle physics models, which helps to solve some of the major problems in the Standard Model. It also provides a more elegant and unified framework for understanding the fundamental forces and particles in the universe.

4. How is F term breaking potential calculated?

F term breaking potential is calculated through mathematical equations that take into account the scalar fields and their interactions in a particular field theory. These equations are solved using techniques such as perturbation theory and renormalization to determine the potential energy for different configurations of the fields.

5. What are some real-world applications of F term breaking potential?

F term breaking potential has implications for various areas of physics, including particle physics, cosmology, and string theory. It is used to study the properties of the Higgs boson, dark matter, and the early universe. It also has potential applications in developing new technologies based on supersymmetry, such as improved energy storage devices and quantum computers.