Managing Self-Criticism in Online Discussions: A Scientist's Perspective

• Thread starter Bladibla
  • Start date
In summary, Warren feels overwhelmed and overwhelmed with his own brilliance when responding to threads. He also often has to go back and reread what he has written due to his memory problems.
Bladibla
Just a simpel question really. What do you feel when you read your own replies to a thread?

Personally i think 'aw S**t. I've made a fool o'myself!' and get angry at my dog.

Physics news on Phys.org
I do because I am stunned and awed by the sheer genius of my own work... :uhh:

No, really... I have to because my memory sucks. The only way that I can keep track of what's going on is to keep going back and rereading all recent posts (not just my own). :redface:

a dumbass reply ignoring your actual post:

no, I type with my eyes shut.

Yeah I usually try to read my replies before I post them, but it never works that way. It is like I do not take anything seriously until it is actually there. Then I think, ohh where is that edit button.

Sometimes I create replies that I'm rather proud of, and I will indeed read them over again later -- not out of hubris, but out of a desire to see my own shortcomings. It's rather like a teacher reading over his/her notes every semester, hoping to improve them.

- Warren

Since I have a bad habbit of slamming out responses when I don't have the time, I often go back to proof and correct errors later. On a few occasions it was found that little things like the word "not" were left out, which really changed the nature of my post.

Once or twice I've had the experience of reading one of my own replies without realizing it was my reply. I was all thinking about and going "hmm," then I noticed the name in the upper left. (I was tired)

I always proof-read anything I post immediately after posting it. I'm usually rather amazed at how insightful and intelligent I am (and unlike the rest of you, I'm willing to admit it).

loseyourname said:
I always proof-read anything I post immediately after posting it. I'm usually rather amazed at how insightful and intelligent I am (and unlike the rest of you, I'm willing to admit it).
Yes, and for such a young-un too. :smile:

So if someone likes to read and re-read their own posts, like re-living the moment, should we call this the Domer Effect? :rofl: I already spend WAY too much time on the PF, and surf around between threads trying to keep up. Who has time to re-read? Oh, and I have ADD (Lord only knows what I've said :redface:).

Don't read anything I've written less than fifteen minutes after I post it: chances are, I'm still editing/refining it.

I've plotted the data points and hypothesized I would be wise to refrain from posting after 7 GMT.

If someone takes issue with something I've said, it often helps to re-read what I've said to remind myself how I worded my original point before replying.
Its also easier to check for spelling & grammar errors a while afterwards, when its not so fresh in my mind.

I once did a google search on something (don't recall the topic), found a likely looking link, without paying much attention, followed to ... Here.. and one of my own posts! Scary!

Chronos said:
I've plotted the data points and hypothesized I would be wise to refrain from posting after 7 GMT.

Yeah, I've had similar experiences. I've learned not to try to answer questions in the biology forum after midnight; I stick with GD when I'm suffering insomnia.

I do sometimes reread my own posts. Most often I end up doing so when someone else comments on it and I need to remind myself what I wrote (do you really think I remember everything I post around here more than 5 min after it's been transmitted from my fingertips to keyboard?)

Moonbear said:
I end up doing so when someone else comments on it and I need to remind myself what I wrote
No kidding! What with you and the rest of my harem popping from one thread to another like Nightcrawler on bennies, and taking chunks of the threads with you, you've got me totally flummoxed and running in 6 directions at once. (That's pretty good, considering there are only 3 of you.) I'm really going to have to consider keeping you confined at night. :biggrin:

1. Do you read all of your replies?

As a scientist, I make an effort to read all of my replies. It is important to gather feedback and engage in discussions about my research and findings.

2. What do you do with negative replies?

Negative replies can be just as valuable as positive ones. I carefully consider the criticism and use it to improve my work and increase the validity of my research.

3. How do you handle conflicting replies?

Conflicting replies can be a sign of differing opinions or interpretations of data. I take the time to thoroughly examine and analyze the conflicting replies to better understand the perspectives of others.

4. How do you respond to replies?

I respond to replies that require clarification or further explanation. However, if the replies are simply opinions or comments, I may not respond but still take them into consideration.

5. Do you ever change your research based on replies?

Scientific research is an ongoing process, and replies can often provide new insights and perspectives. I am open to changing my research based on valid and supported replies that contribute to the overall understanding of a topic.