Is CPT-Invariance Sufficient for Lorentz Covariance and Locality?

• Thread starter VantagePoint72
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the CPT theorem states that any local Lorentz-covariant quantum field theory will be CPT-invariant. However, the converse is not necessarily true as there are CPT-invariant theories that are not field theories. Additionally, CPT-invariance combined with certain restrictions on observables can imply Lorentz covariance. Unfortunately, there is limited literature on this topic.
VantagePoint72
In its standard formulation, the CPT theorem says that any local Lorentz-covariant quantum field theorem will be CPT-invariant. What of the theorem's converse? I would suspect CPT-invariance alone would be too weak to guarantee locality and Lorentz-covariance, but are there perhaps additional restrictions that, combined with CPT-invariance, will do so? I've tried looking through some of the literature, but I can't find any analysis of this.

Physics news on Phys.org
LastOneStanding said:
In its standard formulation, the CPT theorem says that any local Lorentz-covariant quantum field theorem will be CPT-invariant. What of the theorem's converse? I would suspect CPT-invariance alone would be too weak to guarantee locality and Lorentz-covariance, but are there perhaps additional restrictions that, combined with CPT-invariance, will do so? I've tried looking through some of the literature, but I can't find any analysis of this.
The converse is not true. There are relativistic quantum theories obeying CPT-invariance that are not field theories.

In relation to the second question, CPT-invariance and certain restrictions on the observables basically imply that all observables are functions of local Lorentz-invariant field operators.

Thank you. Do you know of a text or paper where I can read more on your second comment? I'd like to understand exactly what is necessary for implying Lorentz covariance.

1. What is the Converse of the CPT theorem?

The Converse of the CPT theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a physical theory is invariant under the combined operations of charge conjugation (C), parity transformation (P), and time reversal (T), then the theory is also invariant under their individual operations. In simpler terms, it means that if a physical theory is symmetric under the exchange of particles with their antiparticles, the reflection of space, and the reversal of time, then it must also be symmetric under each of these operations individually.

2. Why is the Converse of the CPT theorem important?

The Converse of the CPT theorem is important because it is a fundamental principle in physics that helps us understand the symmetry of our universe. It also has significant implications for the conservation laws of charge, parity, and time, which play a crucial role in our understanding of the fundamental forces of nature.

3. What evidence supports the Converse of the CPT theorem?

The Converse of the CPT theorem is supported by several experimental observations and theoretical calculations. One of the most significant pieces of evidence is the fact that the laws of physics remain the same when particles and antiparticles interact with each other. Additionally, it has been observed that certain fundamental particles, such as neutrinos and antineutrinos, have identical properties, further supporting the symmetry of CPT.

4. How does the Converse of the CPT theorem relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Converse of the CPT theorem is an essential principle in the Standard Model of particle physics. This model describes the fundamental particles and their interactions, and it is based on the fundamental symmetries of CPT. The successful predictions and experimental confirmations of the Standard Model further validate the Converse of the CPT theorem.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Converse of the CPT theorem?

While the Converse of the CPT theorem holds true for the majority of physical theories, there are a few exceptions. For example, some theories that involve gravity may violate CPT symmetry. Additionally, in certain conditions, such as the presence of strong magnetic fields or high energy densities, the symmetry of CPT may be broken. However, these exceptions are still under investigation, and the Converse of the CPT theorem remains a fundamental principle in our understanding of the universe.