Polarization of photon-Peskin and Schroeder

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of the amplitude vanishing in quantum field theory unless the final photon is right-handed. The speaker is struggling to understand how this works and believes there may be a connection to photon polarization. They mention using a different convention for Jones vectors and wonder if that could be causing the issue. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking the other person for their help.
ndcat10
Hi, I am currently studying quantum field theory with worldwidely used text written by Peskin and Schroeder. On page 165 of that text it says, " the amplitude vanishes unless the final photon is right-handed." But I cannot figure out how it works. With ε = (0,1,i,0), I get same expression located right after 5.100, which result in 0 when it applies to [itex] u_R = \pmatrix{ 0 \cr 1} [/itex]. I think there must be something related to photon polarization and I am missing. Could you find where I got wrong? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if this is the issue you're having since I don't have my book in front of me, but I know they use a different convention than most on the Jones vectors. Usually, right polarized is (0,1,-i,0). Maybe this would make a difference?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jones_vector#Jones_vectors

I still cannot figure out the connection between Jones vectors and my problem. Anyway thanks a lot :)

1. What is polarization of a photon?

The polarization of a photon refers to the orientation of its electric and magnetic fields. It can be either linear, circular, or elliptical.

2. How does Peskin and Schroeder explain polarization of a photon?

Peskin and Schroeder explain polarization of a photon using quantum electrodynamics (QED). They use Feynman diagrams to illustrate the interaction between the photon and charged particles, and show how the polarization of the photon affects this interaction.

3. Why is polarization of a photon important?

Polarization of a photon is important because it affects how the photon interacts with matter. Depending on its polarization, a photon can be absorbed, scattered, or transmitted differently. This property is also used in various technologies, such as polarized sunglasses and 3D movies.

4. Can the polarization of a photon be changed?

Yes, the polarization of a photon can be changed through various methods, such as passing it through a polarizing filter or using specialized materials that can rotate the polarization of light.

5. How is the polarization of a photon measured?

The polarization of a photon can be measured using various techniques, such as polarimetry, which involves analyzing the intensity and angle of light passing through a polarizing filter. It can also be measured indirectly through its effects on other particles in experiments.