Forum Game - Where's That Landmark? Part 2

In summary, Om found a new landmark and gave a few hints. The last landmark Om gave hints for was the Yale Kahn Institute. Om found a new landmark and gave a few hints. The last landmark Om gave hints for was the Yale Kahn Institute.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
In order to help with server load, we are splitting up the larger threads.

This is a continuation of the original Where's That Landmark? thread located here

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=270543&page=480

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's been two days now. I'm guessing ImaLooser doesn't know the rule of confirmation, so I'll just continue:

pf.wtlm.2013.04.19.1814.jpg

When my friend mentioned this landmark, the name was most alien to me. I didn't have a pen, so I made a mnemonic: "Toe tied". This turned out to be a wrong pronunciation.
She also mentioned it was 350 km NE of of big city. This was also not very accurate, as it looks to be only 250 km away, and way more NNE than NE.

My friend says that the wiki entry on how the town got it's name is totally bogus. The namesake man who died was not a general, but the town drunk. Imagine living in a town named after the town drunk, when it's original name was associated with royalty.

Is it The Holy Resurrection Cathedral, Tutaev or Tutayev, Russia?

fuzzyfelt said:
Is it The Holy Resurrection Cathedral, Tutaev or Tutayev, Russia?

It is!

That's unfair. A Russian church actually in Russia. What is this world coming to :tongue:

Kidding I'm swamped these days.

OmCheeto said:
It is!

That was another lovely one to find, thank you, Om, and thank your friend from me, too!
I'll find something.

Last edited:
I meant to apologise to Imalooser for not attributing a quote to him or her with a find (Punchbowl falls), in case I was wrong, and I'm pleased Om rectified that. (no hint)

Last edited:
125m6gw.jpg

OmCheeto said:
It's been two days now. I'm guessing ImaLooser doesn't know the rule of confirmation, so I'll just continue:

Yes, it is correct.

fuzzyfelt said:
125m6gw.jpg

It looks like little baby Sydney Opera house beings, who've just woken up, and saying in unison; "Wow! A rectangle!"

Not a clue.

OmCheeto said:
It looks like little baby Sydney Opera house beings, who've just woken up, and saying in unison; "Wow! A rectangle!"

Not a clue.

:rofl:

OmCheeto said:

Not a clue.
:rofl:

It mightn’t be so easy- there could be a trist.

I’ll mention what I discovered about my last landmark-

fuzzyfelt said:
:) The repetitive hint was of a building at Yale University that Kahn designed and which was named after him, that has an art gallery and is where he taught architecture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jatiyo_Sangshad_Bhaban

My landmark and hints were more repetitive than it seemed. That last landmark, the Assembly Building by Kahn that I gave had repetitive hints from another recent landmark I gave, The Salk Kahn Institute. I used the triangular ceiling etc., of the Kahn Building at Yale as hints for both Kahn landmarks, e.g. on this page-
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=270543&page=479

But it turns out the last Kahn landmark, The National Assembly building by Kahn had already been a landmark, with Kahn related hints, before, from post no. 2934 -
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2257773

I must have missed the same landmark when it was offered years ago and wasn’t well when I checked.(no hint)

This is another not very realistic image of the landmark-

95r05t.jpg

And it is difficult to tell there are things like an outdoor pool-

3520sbc.jpg

"Trist", here, doesn’t refer to someone’s name.

The images so far exclude the landscape at large and, as well, I don’t have a usable indoor image, but it could be something like this-

8lxv.jpg

Something occurred in time possibly somewhere around here.

Although what has been shown of the landmark so far is recent in the area, it equates with older ideas, like those of form follows function, which have continued on in time, e.g., an internal pool wall takes on oscillating shape like this wall-

34j66c6.jpg

Some landscape images-

bifcw.jpg
30dgjz9.jpg
2zxxr8j.jpg

The area can be covered in snow around Dec 25, and there are trees close to the landmark.

(Edit: deleted a pink rose.)

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvk5HfVfTgw
2zxxr8j.jpg

Last edited:
Often, landmarks I give involve a combination of areas of study. Google image placing changes but for me terms from either area could give the landmark: one, by naming the specialty and function in the landmark, or alternatively, by investigating and finding where, roughly, an idea of significance for a different specialty took form. However, googling with a combination of terms from both specialties would probably be easiest to recognise.

fuzzyfelt said:
Often, landmarks I give involve a combination of areas of study. Google image placing changes but for me terms from either area could give the landmark: one, by naming the specialty and function in the landmark, or alternatively, by investigating and finding where, roughly, an idea of significance for a different specialty took form. However, googling with a combination of terms from both specialties would probably be easiest to recognise.

I do believe, that it will be another 6 months before I figure this out.

You, Fuzzy, must be the namesake of Fuzzy Logic. :tongue2:

---------------------------
ps. I've been all over Banff, Scotland, New Jersey, and a few other places. Only 12 hours of unadulterated web surfing pleasure.
Not sure if I've ever mentioned it before, but thinking, is the best way to travel.

I have 4 architects in the room. The closest I can come is the A.G. Scientific San Diego Corporate something or other.

Eminating from a comment; "It reminds me of the Tod Williams and Billie Tein design of the California Science Institute"

Fuzzy, does this place exist? :tongue2:

OmCheeto said:
I do believe, that it will be another 6 months before I figure this out.

You, Fuzzy, must be the namesake of Fuzzy Logic. :tongue2:

---------------------------
ps. I've been all over Banff, Scotland, New Jersey, and a few other places. Only 12 hours of unadulterated web surfing pleasure.
Not sure if I've ever mentioned it before, but thinking, is the best way to travel.

:tongue2:

OmCheeto said:
I have 4 architects in the room. The closest I can come is the A.G. Scientific San Diego Corporate something or other.

Eminating from a comment; "It reminds me of the Tod Williams and Billie Tein design of the California Science Institute"

Fuzzy, does this place exist? :tongue2:

It does really exist – but this is a fairly recent look in the area.

Really, really nice idea, but it isn’t the correct one. Other hints refer to a particular branch of physics, spurrrlash!

fuzzyfelt said:

It does really exist – but this is a fairly recent look in the area.

Really, really nice idea, but it isn’t the correct one. Other hints refer to a particular branch of physics, spurrrlash!

One of the four architects last night commented; "You're right. Those really do look like little Sydney Opera House babies."

The architect, to whom I've been referring to over the last few months, told the three newbies; "Don't talk to him. He's crazy." :tongue2:

OmCheeto said:
One of the four architects last night commented; "You're right. Those really do look like little Sydney Opera House babies."

The architect, to whom I've been referring to over the last few months, told the three newbies; "Don't talk to him. He's crazy." :tongue2:

Another hint, it could involve a psa or a spi or something like that.

The architect is not very well known, but does credit Kahn as a strong influence. Just for interests sake this is another of his work-
fmkjn.jpg

Also, two to three very well known people visited the area this year for an event slightly related to the landmark, and they could have enjoyed the relaxation the landmark offered.

I will post the rose, which could help with recognising the name of the area.
5ocoit.jpg

b6ybzb.jpg

The trist or twyst could involve an unnamed, mystery Viennese woman in the 1920s.

2zzm2qp.jpg

jhu1hi.jpg

fuzzyfelt said:

Another hint, it could involve a psa or a spi or something like that.

Ha! I spent quite a few hours looking at Neutrino detectors around the world.
I was going to suggest Gran Sasso the other day, but I can't find the outdoor buildings!
The whole thing is under a mountain.
The images of the topography are very similar to yours.

and:

Underground pool: check!
Tri = Neutrino's have 3 metamorphic states.

And today "christmas at gran sasso" brings up nothing like your landmark.

No more hints though Fuzzy. I'm sure today's clues will allow me to figure this out in the next 3 months. :tongue:

I am aroused by the fact hints seem to mostly mean something opposite to what I thought they mean.

Fuzzy will have a lot of explaining to do.

Ha! I just went back to the beginning of this game. Do you know they went through 10 pages of landmarks in only 6 days?

OmCheeto said:
Ha! I just went back to the beginning of this game. Do you know they went through 10 pages of landmarks in only 6 days?

And, six weeks later, we have the answer: Tschuggen Grand Hotel
Switzerland's unique Wellness Hotel

Let's see if I can now decipher the clues:

Location Arosa, Switzerland
Which is in the canton of Graubünden

wiki said:
The name Graubünden translates as the "Grey Leagues," referring to the canton's origin in three local alliances, the League of God's House, the Grey League, and the League of Ten Jurisdictions.

Not sure what Bon Jovi + waves means. Perhaps it refers to the album title: Slippery When Wet

I have to be going soon, so I'll post the new landmark without confirmation, as I can't imagine there being two of these places.

pf.wtlm.2013.04.20.0907.jpg

In a lame attempt to get others to play, I will mention that another New York Aussie should recognize the construction in the background.

Yes!

"Schrödinger suffered from tuberculosis and several times in the 1920s stayed at a sanatorium in Arosa. It was there that he discovered his wave equation.[18]"
"18.^ Moore, Walter J (9 January 1926). ''Schrödinger'' by Walter J. Moore: Christmas at Arosa. Books.google.co.uk. ISBN 978-0-521-43767-7. Retrieved 2010-03-13."

(Afaict, he had a holiday in Arosa, a bowl with lakes, with an unknown woman, in the same street as the four levelled spa annexe, and in an annexe, too, which later burnt down.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erwin_Schrödinger
http://www.architonic.com/aisht/wellness-centre-tschuggen-bergoase-mario-botta-architetto/5100643
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Botta

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:
...New York Aussie...

of course refers to Astronuc, who always seems to know way too much about what is going on in other parts of the world.

ps. The building has something in common with the Tschuggen Grand Hotel.

pps. And I probably shouldn't forget this attachment:

pf.wtlm.2013.06.29.0736.jpg