Pre-Calculus - Regarding finding the area of a certain region

In summary, the problem was to find the area of a certain region within a circle. The solution was figure out the radius of the circle and then find the area of the segment that was created by the outer regions being a triangle. The segment was then added to the area of the circle to get the total area.
phEight
URGENT: Regarding finding the area of a certain region within a circle

Hello

I have included an image of the diagram with the question on it. I understand what I am trying to find here is the sector of the circle, however to calculate this you must have the radius of the circle... something which this certain problem does not give. Can someone please lead me in the correct direction to solving this problem... thanks.

edit: perhaps I have made some progress... if I make the outer regions a triangle (therefore creating 4 segments and 4 triangles of course), is it possible for me to just simply find the area of the triangle and then find the area of the segment then add these togeather to find the total area? I am not so sure as to how I find the area of a segment in this particular problem since in order to find the area of a segment, you must have the radius. I am not sure if I am able to just calculate this by using 3 as the radius. Here is what I have so far, but I am not so sure this is correct.

K(area) = (1/2)(3)(3)sin60
K(area) = 3.897114317
then after calculating the area of the triangle, I go on to calculate the segment by
A (area of segment) = (1/2)3^2((pi/180)(60)-sin60))
A = .8152746634

Now for the total area of one side I would add K + A to get 4.71238898. I would go on to multiply this by 4 to find the total area of the shaded region. I am very skeptical about the way I tried to solve this.

Attachments

• problem1.JPG
    problem1.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Question: Is the little cap at the end of each leg of the cross included in the shaded region? It doesn't look like it is shaded in the picture, but I assume the problem is to find the area of the circle that is NOT included in the cross. In that case, the simplest way to do the problem is NOT to find the area of each little section separately. Find the area of the circle, the area of the cross (made of rectangles) and subtract.

HallsofIvy said:
Question: Is the little cap at the end of each leg of the cross included in the shaded region? It doesn't look like it is shaded in the picture, but I assume the problem is to find the area of the circle that is NOT included in the cross. In that case, the simplest way to do the problem is NOT to find the area of each little section separately. Find the area of the circle, the area of the cross (made of rectangles) and subtract.
Hrm, hadn't thought of it that way. But how should I go about finding the area of the circle? I don't have the radius or the circumference, all I have are the values for the equilateral cross. Also, those caps are not shaded, only the sectors.

The only part I am iffy about it in the way I approached the problem is my calculation for the segment, I am not sure if I am able to just use the value of 3 as the radius for the calculation. I don't know how I would derive the radius with only the values of the equilateral cross, this is the only part throwing me off.

Last edited:
Problem has been figured out... alls I had to do was simply being togeather the shaded regions to create a smaller circle with the diameter of 6. Thanks for anyone who attempted to help!

the R of the circle = sqrt[90]/2

1. How do I find the area of a certain region in pre-calculus?

The formula used to find the area of a certain region in pre-calculus depends on the shape of the region. For example, to find the area of a rectangle, you would multiply the length by the width. For a triangle, you would use the formula A = (1/2)bh, where b is the base and h is the height. Other common shapes, such as circles and trapezoids, also have specific formulas for finding their area.

2. Can I use calculus to find the area of a region in pre-calculus?

Yes, you can use calculus to find the area of a region in pre-calculus. Calculus allows you to find the area of irregular shapes by using integrals. This method is useful when the shape cannot be broken down into simpler geometric shapes.

3. What is the difference between finding the area of a region in pre-calculus and geometry?

The main difference between finding the area of a region in pre-calculus and geometry is the level of complexity. In geometry, you typically work with simple, two-dimensional shapes and use basic formulas to find their area. In pre-calculus, you may encounter more complex shapes and use advanced concepts, such as integrals, to find their area.

4. How can I check if I have correctly found the area of a region in pre-calculus?

To check if you have correctly found the area of a region in pre-calculus, you can use the formula A = lw or A = (1/2)bh, depending on the shape. Make sure to double-check your calculations and units of measurement. Additionally, you can also use online calculators or ask a classmate or teacher to check your work.

5. Can I use pre-calculus to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape?

No, pre-calculus is limited to finding the area of two-dimensional shapes. To find the volume of a three-dimensional shape, you would need to use calculus or other advanced math concepts. However, pre-calculus can help you understand the basic principles and formulas used in finding volume in calculus.