Way to re-express this equation by writing x and y separate?

• Thread starter femiadeyemi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Writing
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation with the expression of a dot product, and whether it can be rewritten using separate x and y components. Different suggestions are made, such as using the Cauchy Schawrtz inequality, but it is ultimately determined that the equation cannot be rewritten in that way.
femiadeyemi
Hi All,
I have an equation like this:

[itex]\sum_{i=0}^{n} x^{i}*y^{i}[/itex]

is there a way to re-express this equation by writing x and y separate? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The expression can be looked at as the dot product of n+1 dimensional vectors. Ir can be written as:
|x||y|cosθ, where θ is the angle between the vectors and |x| and |y| are the individual vector lengths. I suspect it won't be much help, since the usual way of finding the angle is using the dot product.

What you wrote is not actually an equation, it is an expression. An equation should have an equals sign (=) and something on the other side of it. You may think this is a bit nitpicky but it can matter a lot whether the sum should be equal to 0, for example, or to some complex value, or to some convenient value in which stuff cancels out.

Assuming you want to rewrite your sum (and that * means scalar multiplication and not e.g. convolution) to something like
##\left( \sum f(x) \right) \left( \sum g(y) \right)##
where f(x) and g(y) are some functions of only the x's and y's, respectively, in general the answer is no - you cannot do that, except for what mathman has already pointed out.

However, I assume this question did not drop out of thin air; so maybe if you give us a bit more about the context that you asked it in we would be able to help you more.

femiadeyemi said:
Hi All,
I have an equation like this:

[itex]\sum_{i=0}^{n} x^{i}*y^{i}[/itex]

is there a way to re-express this equation by writing x and y separate? Thank you

If you are trying to get estimates on something (like upper bounds) you can use Cauchy Schawrtz:

[itex]\sum_{i=0}^{n} x^{i}*y^{i} \leq (\sum_{i=0}^{n} x_i^2)^{1/2}(\sum_{i=0}^{n} y_i^2)^{1/2}[/itex]

Yes, there is a way to re-express this equation by writing x and y separately. This can be done by expanding the summation using the binomial theorem, which states that (a+b)^n = \sum_{i=0}^{n} \binom{n}{i} a^{n-i} b^i. Therefore, the given equation can be rewritten as \sum_{i=0}^{n} \binom{n}{i} x^{i} y^{i}. This allows for x and y to be written separately as x^i and y^i, respectively.

1. What does it mean to re-express an equation by writing x and y separately?

Re-expressing an equation by writing x and y separately means to rearrange the equation so that one variable (x or y) is isolated on one side of the equation and the other variable is on the other side.

2. Why would someone want to re-express an equation by writing x and y separately?

Re-expressing an equation in this way can make it easier to solve for a specific variable or to graph the equation.

3. How do you determine which variable to isolate when re-expressing an equation?

The variable that is isolated should be the one that you are solving for or the one that you want to represent on the y-axis when graphing the equation.

4. Are there any rules or steps to follow when re-expressing an equation by writing x and y separately?

Yes, the basic rules of algebra apply, such as performing the same operation on both sides of the equation to maintain balance. It is also helpful to clearly label which variable is isolated and which is not.

5. Can any equation be re-expressed by writing x and y separately?

Not all equations can be easily re-expressed in this way, particularly if the equation is nonlinear or contains multiple variables. However, many linear equations can be re-expressed by writing x and y separately.