Direct sum complement is unique

In summary, the question is whether in a finite-dimensional vector space ##V##, if ##V = W_1 \bigoplus W## and ##V = W_2 \bigoplus W##, then ##W_1 = W_2##. The answer depends on the category of vector spaces or inner-product spaces. In the category of vector spaces, the answer is no, as shown by mfb. In the category of inner-product spaces, the answer is yes, where we say ##V = W_i \bigoplus W## if ##V = W_i + W## and ##W_i, W## are orthogonal. To prove that orthogonal complements are unique, we can suppose ##V = W
Bipolarity
I'm curious about whether a statement I conjecture about direct sums is true.
Suppose that ##V## is a finite-dimensional vector space and ##W##,##W_{1}##,##W_{2}## are subspaces of ##V##. Let ## V = W_{1} \bigoplus W ## and ## V = W_{2} \bigoplus W ##.

Then is it the case that ## W_{1} = W_{2} ##?

I merely need to know whether this is true or not so that I can know which direction to steer my proof. I am guessing it is true, but am having trouble proving it, and that is giving me doubts as to whether or not it is true.

All help is appreciated! Thanks!

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure how your direct sum is evaluated. What about this?
V=R2
W={(x,0)}, W1={(x,x)}, W2={(x,-x)}

In the category of vector spaces: no, as mfb showed.
In the category of inner-product spaces: yes. In this case, we say [itex]V=W_i\oplus W[/itex] if [itex]V=W_i+W[/itex] and [itex]W_i, W[/itex] are orthogonal.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys! No wonder my proof has not been working out!
How might I prove that orthogonal complements are unique?

BiP

Last edited:
Suppose [itex]V=W_1+ W[/itex] and [itex]W_1 \perp W[/itex]. Let [itex]W_2 = \{v\in V: \enspace v\perp W\}[/itex].

By construction, [itex]W_2 \supseteq W_1[/itex]. Try to show that [itex]W_1, W_2[/itex] have the same (finite) dimension... hint: dimension theorem. Then use that no finite-dimensional vector space has a proper subspace of the same dimension.

1. What is a direct sum complement?

A direct sum complement is a vector space that, when added to another vector space, forms a direct sum. It is the set of all vectors that are not contained in the original vector space.

2. Why is the direct sum complement important?

The direct sum complement is important because it allows for the decomposition of a vector space into two independent subspaces. This is useful in many areas of mathematics and physics, as well as in applications such as data analysis and signal processing.

3. How is the direct sum complement calculated?

The direct sum complement is calculated by finding a basis for the original vector space and then extending it to a basis for the entire space. The vectors that are not in the original basis form the basis for the direct sum complement.

4. Is the direct sum complement unique?

Yes, the direct sum complement is unique. This is because the direct sum is unique and the direct sum complement is the unique set of vectors that, when added to the original vector space, forms this unique direct sum.

5. Can the direct sum complement change?

Yes, the direct sum complement can change if the original vector space changes. For example, if new vectors are added to the original vector space, the direct sum complement will change accordingly. However, the direct sum complement is still unique for any given vector space.