Lagrangian and its derivatives

In summary: The variational principle tells you that the value of the function at a given point is given by the extremum of the Taylor series at that point. And because the Euler-Lagrange equation is derived from a variational principle, the extremum is always found in the ##\hat{q}_\alpha## direction.
AJKing
Question 1

When I take the derivatives of the Lagrangian, specifically of the form:

[itex]\frac{\partial L}{ \partial q}[/itex]

I often find myself saying this:

[itex]\frac{\partial \dot{q}}{ \partial q}=0[/itex]

But why is it true? And is it always true?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[STRIKE]Question 2[/STRIKE] Answer Below

When solving a double pendulum problem I built a Lagrangian of the form:

[itex]L(\theta_1, \theta_2, \dot{\theta_1}, \dot{\theta_2})[/itex]

And found that my Euler Lagrangian equations for each coordinate where coupled to each other, as expected.

But I was a little confused about the direction of motion...

Does

[itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_\alpha} = \frac{d}{d t} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_\alpha}}[/itex]

Describe a motion only in the

[itex]\hat{q_\alpha}[/itex]

Direction? Even if the Euler Lagrangian is coupled?

Answer

According to Taylor's text, Classical Mechanics, yes. The [itex]\hat{q_\alpha}[/itex] direction is the only one an Euler Lagrangian equation specifies. But, a true understanding of the motion in that direction comes from:

[itex]- \frac{\partial U}{\partial q_\alpha} = \frac{d}{d t} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_\alpha}} - \frac{\partial T}{\partial q_\alpha}[/itex]

Which is used to build:

[itex]\vec{F}=-\nabla U[/itex]

Last edited:
AJKing said:
Question 1

When I take the derivatives of the Lagrangian, specifically of the form:

[itex]\frac{\partial L}{ \partial q}[/itex]

I often find myself saying this:

[itex]\frac{\partial \dot{q}}{ \partial q}=0[/itex]

But why is it true? And is it always true?

Many a student has been confused by this. The short answer is that the Euler-Lagrange equation is derived from a variational principle using the technique of variations, and ##q## and ##\dot q## are merely labels for the arguments of the Lagrangian.

Consider that you have a function ##F(x, y)##. At some ##(x_0, y_0)## its value is ##z_0##. Now you want to find out its value close to that point. Using the Taylor expansion, you get ##F(x_0 + \delta x, y_0 + \delta y) = z_0 + {\partial F \over \partial x} \delta x + {\partial F \over \partial y} \delta y ##. Now if you had ##x = f(t) ## and ##y = \dot f(t) ##, you would still use the expression above, where ##x## and ##y## are assumed independent. This is exactly what happens when you derive the Euler-Lagrange equation.

1. What is the Lagrangian and why is it important in physics?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system. It is important because it allows us to study the behavior of a system without having to solve complex differential equations, making it easier to analyze and understand physical phenomena.

2. What are the derivatives of the Lagrangian and how are they used?

The derivatives of the Lagrangian are the partial derivatives with respect to the system's variables, such as position, velocity, and time. They are used in the Euler-Lagrange equations, which are the fundamental equations of motion in classical mechanics. These equations help us determine the path an object will take in a given system.

3. Can the Lagrangian be used in quantum mechanics?

Yes, the Lagrangian is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics as well. In this context, it is known as the quantum action and is used to describe the dynamics of particles at the quantum level. It is often written in terms of quantum fields and is used in the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics.

4. How does the Lagrangian differ from the Hamiltonian?

The Lagrangian and Hamiltonian are two different approaches to describing the dynamics of a physical system. The Lagrangian is written in terms of the system's coordinates and their derivatives, while the Hamiltonian is written in terms of the system's coordinates and their conjugate momenta. The Hamiltonian is derived from the Lagrangian and is often used in problems involving energy conservation.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian approach?

While the Lagrangian approach is a powerful tool in classical and quantum mechanics, it has its limitations. It assumes that the system is in equilibrium, and it cannot account for dissipative or non-conservative forces. In addition, it may be difficult to find the Lagrangian for complex systems with many degrees of freedom. In these cases, other methods, such as numerical simulations, may be more suitable.