Algebra/Trigonometey (Precal) books with rigor?

• Thread starter TitoSmooth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the person is looking for algebra/trig books with rigor and currently owns Sullivan pre cal, Stewart, and McGuie which are too easy for them. They enjoy the Sullivan book for its wide range of topics but the exercises are too easy. They are looking for a more challenging book and are recommended to try Serge Lang's Basic Mathematics and the two books by Gelfand Trigonometry and Algebra. Another option is Principles of Mathematics by Allendoerfer/Oakey.
TitoSmooth
I am an aspiring mathemarician and wanted to know algebra/trig books with rigor. I have sullivan pre cal/ stewart/mcguie and these are extremely easy books. I enjoy the sullivan book because of its wide range of topics( introduction to vectors) but the exercises are extremely easy.

The best pre cal book I own is by Cohen and the problems are harder then the other books I own.
Yet I want to get a book or more that are more challenging then Cohen. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Serge Lang and I.M. Gelfand

You can consider Serge Lang's Basic Mathematics and the two books by Gelfand Trigonometry and Algebra

How about another old one: Principles of Mathematics by Allendoerfer/Oakey?

I can understand your desire for more rigorous algebra and trigonometry books. It is important to continuously challenge yourself and push your understanding of these subjects. I would recommend looking into textbooks that are used in college level courses, as they tend to have more challenging exercises and cover more advanced topics.

Some popular options include "Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus" by James Stewart and "Algebra and Trigonometry" by Michael Sullivan. These books are typically used in college courses and have a good balance of rigor and comprehensive coverage of topics.

Additionally, you may want to consider books specifically focused on challenging problems and exercises, such as "The Art of Problem Solving" series by Richard Rusczyk. These books are designed to push your problem-solving skills and deepen your understanding of algebra and trigonometry.

Ultimately, it is important to find a textbook that suits your learning style and challenges you appropriately. I would recommend browsing through a few options and seeing which one resonates with you the most. Good luck on your search for a more rigorous precalculus book!

What is the purpose of studying algebra and trigonometry?

The purpose of studying algebra and trigonometry is to develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities. These subjects also provide a foundation for higher level mathematics courses, as well as applications in various fields such as science, engineering, and economics.

What makes a precalculus book rigorous?

A precalculus book with rigor typically covers a wide range of topics in depth and requires a high level of understanding and application of concepts. It should also include challenging problems and exercises that require critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

How should one approach studying from a precalculus book with rigor?

To effectively study from a precalculus book with rigor, students should first make sure they have a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles. They should then work through practice problems and exercises, seeking help when needed, and actively engaging with the material to deepen their understanding.

What are some recommended precalculus books with rigor?

Some recommended precalculus books with rigor include "Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus" by James Stewart, "Precalculus" by Michael Sullivan, and "Precalculus with Limits" by Ron Larson. These books are known for their comprehensive coverage of topics and challenging problem sets.

How can one use a precalculus book with rigor to prepare for standardized tests?

A precalculus book with rigor can be used to prepare for standardized tests by working through practice problems and exercises, as well as reviewing key concepts and formulas. It is also helpful to take practice tests and seek out additional resources for test-taking strategies and tips.