Twin engine jet airplane lands

In summary, the conversation is about the difference between the individual frequencies of the sounds from each engine and the average frequency of 4100 Hz that can be heard when a friend's twin engine jet airplane lands. The conversation also mentions the concept of "beat frequency" and suggests looking at the textbook for more information.
confused1
Finally, your friend's twin engine jet airplane lands. As it stands on the runway, you hear the sound of the engines getting louder and softer, rhythmically once every two seconds. The average frequency you hear is 4100 Hz. What is the difference between the individual frequencies of the sounds from each engine and this average?

f_low-f_ave =

f_high-f_ave =

Science news on Phys.org
Sorry, man; I have absolutely no idea about this. I just can't stand to see a post go unanswered. It seems rude, as if you're being ignored. I wish I could help, but maybe by posting at all and moving this up in the line, I can prompt someone else to get involved. :smile:

THis is apparently a quaestion regarding the "beat frequency" of two close-but-not-exactly-the-same sources. The formula associated with this is so simple that it usually is not included with most formula lists. Look at the "beat frequency" section of the textbook.

1. How do twin engine jet airplanes land?

Twin engine jet airplanes land by following a specific landing procedure that involves reducing speed, adjusting flaps and landing gear, and making a controlled descent onto the runway. The pilot also uses the plane's engines and brakes to slow down and come to a complete stop.

2. What are the advantages of twin engine jet airplanes landing?

The main advantage of twin engine jet airplanes landing is redundancy. If one engine were to fail, the other engine can still provide enough power for a safe landing. This adds an extra layer of safety compared to single engine aircraft. Additionally, twin engine jets often have better performance and handling during takeoff and landing.

3. What happens if both engines fail during a twin engine jet airplane landing?

In the rare event that both engines fail during a twin engine jet airplane landing, the pilot will use the plane's momentum and glide to make an emergency landing on the nearest suitable runway. The pilot will also attempt to restart the engines or use an auxiliary power unit to regain engine power. Pilots are trained to handle this situation and it is extremely unlikely to occur.

4. How does the weight of a twin engine jet airplane affect its landing?

The weight of a twin engine jet airplane can affect its landing in a few ways. A heavier plane will require a longer runway for landing and may also require more engine power to slow down and stop. Additionally, the weight of the plane can affect its handling and responsiveness during landing, so pilots must take this into account when landing.

5. What is the role of the landing gear in a twin engine jet airplane landing?

The landing gear plays a crucial role in a twin engine jet airplane landing. It helps support the weight of the plane during landing and provides stability and control on the runway. The pilot can also adjust the landing gear to improve the plane's aerodynamics and reduce drag during landing.