What is the best book for learning Calculus at a higher depth?

In summary, an A-level student from Cambridge is looking for a complete course on Calculus to learn it at a higher depth. Some recommended books include Spivak's "Calculus" and Apostol's "Calculus", both of which are challenging but provide a thorough understanding of the subject. Other suggestions include "Technical Calculus with Analytic Geometry" by Judith L. Gersting and "Introduction to Calculus and Analysis" by Courant and John. It is noted that Spivak and Apostol are more theoretical and may be better suited for math majors or those interested in the subject, while Courant and John's book is more balanced between math and physics and Hardy's "A Course in Pure Mathematics" may be a
NeoXx
Hello,

I am an A-level student in Cambridge finishing the A2.
From doing Mathematics I got very interested in Calculus, and
now I'm looking for a complete course for Calculus in order to
learn it at a much higher depth.

Can anyone suggest a great book on Calculus? :smile:

Regards,

NeoXx

Physics news on Phys.org
If you already are familiar with some calculus (like knowing roughly what derivatives are and what continuity is), then you're ready to tackle the big boys:

There's Spivak's "Calculus". This is very challenging but will give you a divine mastery of calculus.
There is Apostol's "Calculus" which is very similar to Spivak. I do somehow get the feeling that Spivak is a bit more theoretical.

micromass said:
If you already are familiar with some calculus (like knowing roughly what derivatives are and what continuity is), then you're ready to tackle the big boys:

There's Spivak's "Calculus". This is very challenging but will give you a divine mastery of calculus.
There is Apostol's "Calculus" which is very similar to Spivak. I do somehow get the feeling that Spivak is a bit more theoretical.

Thank you for your answer. Yes I am familiar with some calculus.
Will take a look at those books. :)

I read about the first 200 pages of Spivak before switching to Apostol. In my opinion the books have very little in common.
Spivak is really an intro analysis book & does not spend enough time on the math that you need to know for physics. However, it is great for learning to do proofs & the details of number theory. He starts from ground zero & builds up numbertheory followed by calculus, so the start is somewhat slow.
Apostol is superb. The two volumes must be the best there is for a science major (with the possible exception of Currant).
Morris Kline's text is great for self study & spends a good amount of time on applications. Reading it is like sitting in a lecture with a friendly wise professor.
If you want to rapidly become proficient & skip the proofs, then Technical Calculus with Analytic Geometry (Dover Books on Mathematics) by Judith L. Gersting is hard to beat.

John Kelly

JPKelly6 said:
I read about the first 200 pages of Spivak before switching to Apostol. In my opinion the books have very little in common.
Spivak is really an intro analysis book & does not spend enough time on the math that you need to know for physics. However, it is great for learning to do proofs & the details of number theory. He starts from ground zero & builds up numbertheory followed by calculus, so the start is somewhat slow.
Apostol is superb. The two volumes must be the best there is for a science major (with the possible exception of Currant).
Morris Kline's text is great for self study & spends a good amount of time on applications. Reading it is like sitting in a lecture with a friendly wise professor.
If you want to rapidly become proficient & skip the proofs, then Technical Calculus with Analytic Geometry (Dover Books on Mathematics) by Judith L. Gersting is hard to beat.

John Kelly

Just to be clear: Spivak doesn't do number theory. It covers axioms of the real numbers and then builds everything from that. This is very different from number theory.

I do agree that if you just want to do calculus for physics, then all you need to know are computations. Spivak (and even Apostol) will be overkill for this goal. Spivak is however an excellent book for math majors or people interested in the mathematics (such as theoretical or mathematical physicists). The exercises in Apostol are more applied and less theoretical, but it's still quite a theoretical book.

I prefer Courant & John's 2 volumes "Introduction to Calculus and Analysis" to Spivak for a treatment balanced between math and physics. Also Hardy's "A Course in Pure Mathematics" follows right from A2 I believe. Shortly after Spivak was published it was used for my calculus I course and the next year Courant and John's second volume was used for calculus 2. I found the latter a whole lot more satisfying as a text.

1. What is Calculus and why is a book on it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is a fundamental subject in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. A book on Calculus is important because it provides a comprehensive understanding of this complex subject and its various applications.

2. What are the main topics covered in a Calculus book?

A Calculus book typically covers topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, and their applications. It may also include topics like differential equations, sequences, and series.

3. How do I choose the right Calculus book for my level?

There are various levels of Calculus, including introductory, single-variable, and multivariable. It is important to assess your current level of understanding and choose a book that aligns with it. You can also consult with a teacher or tutor for recommendations.

4. Can I learn Calculus from a book without a teacher?

While having a teacher or tutor can be helpful, it is possible to learn Calculus from a book without one. However, self-study requires discipline and dedication. It is important to carefully read and understand each concept and practice regularly to master the subject.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement a Calculus book?

Yes, there are many online resources, such as video tutorials, practice problems, and interactive simulations, that can supplement a Calculus book. These resources can provide additional explanations and examples to help you better understand the concepts.