Help required for choosing books for the various engineering subjects

In summary, the conversation discusses various subjects and requests recommendations for books and video tutorials on topics such as strength of materials, mathematics, composites, non-destructive testing, and finite element method. The exchange also mentions some books that the person has already used and the need for textbooks with ready-to-use codes for FEA.
chiraganand
Hi,

Can anyone please suggest me some of the best books and video tutorials for the below subjects?
1. Strength of materials/ Mechanics of materials
2. Mathematics- Calculus, differential equations
3. Books on how to find centroids, center of gravity and basicly pre requisye knowledge to strength of materials
4. Composites- material science and design of structures
5. Non destructive testing
6. Finite element method/ analysis

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
These are some of the books I used in school almost 20 years ago:
1. RC Hibbeler, Mechanics of Materials
2. Boyce and DiPrima, Elementary Differential Equations
3. RC Hibbeler, Engineering Mechanics: Statics and Dynamics
4. No textbook.
5. Never took a course.
6. Cook, Applications of Finite Element Analysis

I think any textbook on the subject should be good enough to start to learn the subject.

Hi paisiello thanks for your help, i will go through the book.. i have laready gone thru cook but i think its a little too advanced for beginners.. i have gone thru many finite element books but most of them start from later concepts.. yet to find a book which starts from the core concepts

There is a huge variety of books devoted to different areas of FEA.
The vast majority of them suffer from one and the same shortcoming though: they contain no, or very little, codes in C/C++ (or even in FORTRAN) that would be "ready-to-use", so to say. Reading long derivations of mathematical formulas can sometimes be frustrating for a person with a strongly engineering mindset, who actually wants to "put his hands on" really working codes, that would deliver numerical results (displacements, bending moments, shear forces, stresses, etc.) right on the spot. Here is one of the few books that contain complete source codes (it is available from amazon.com ) :
"Computational Geometry of Surfaces and Its Application to the Finite Element Analysis of Shells " (by O.Axenenko and A.Tsvelikh)

I would recommend the following resources for the engineering subjects you mentioned:

1. Strength of Materials/Mechanics of Materials:
- "Mechanics of Materials" by Russell C. Hibbeler
- "Strength of Materials" by S. Ramamrutham
- "Mechanics of Materials: An Integrated Learning System" by Timothy A. Philpot
- "Mechanics of Materials: An Introduction to the Mechanics of Elastic and Plastic Deformation of Solids and Structural Components" by E.J. Hearn

2. Mathematics - Calculus, Differential Equations:
- "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart
- "Differential Equations and Linear Algebra" by C. Henry Edwards and David E. Penney
- "Calculus" by Michael Spivak
- "Differential Equations and Their Applications: An Introduction to Applied Mathematics" by Martin Braun

3. Centroids, Center of Gravity, and Basic Pre-requisite Knowledge for Strength of Materials:
- "Statics and Mechanics of Materials" by Ferdinand P. Beer and E. Russell Johnston Jr.
- "Engineering Mechanics: Statics and Dynamics" by R.C. Hibbeler
- "Mechanics of Materials with Applications in Excel" by Don H. Morris
- "Strength of Materials: A Unified Theory" by Surya N. Patnaik and Dale Hopkins

4. Composites - Material Science and Design of Structures:
- "Composite Materials: Science and Engineering" by Krishan K. Chawla
- "Design and Analysis of Composite Structures: With Applications to Aerospace Structures" by Christos Kassapoglou
- "Introduction to Composite Materials Design" by Ever J. Barbero
- "Composite Materials: Fabrication Handbook #2" by John Wanberg

5. Non-Destructive Testing:
- "Non-Destructive Testing" by Baldev Raj, T. Jayakumar, and M. Thavasimuthu
- "Introduction to Nondestructive Testing: A Training Guide" by Paul E. Mix
- "Non-Destructive Testing: A Practical Approach" by Baldev Raj, T. Jayakumar, and M. Thavasimuthu
- "Non-Destructive Testing Techniques" by Ravi Prakash

6. Finite Element Method/Analysis:
- "Finite Element Analysis: Theory and Application With ANSYS"

1. How do I choose the best books for my engineering subjects?

To choose the best books for your engineering subjects, you should first consider the specific topics covered in your course and the level of complexity. Look for books that have clear and concise explanations, relevant examples, and practice problems. You can also ask your professors or peers for recommendations.

2. Should I buy physical books or opt for e-books?

The decision between physical books and e-books ultimately depends on personal preference. Physical books may be more convenient for some people, while others may prefer the accessibility and portability of e-books. Consider factors such as cost, ease of use, and availability when making your decision.

3. Can I use older editions of textbooks for my engineering subjects?

Using older editions of textbooks may be a cost-effective option, but it's important to note that they may not cover the most recent developments in the field. It's recommended to consult with your professors or check the syllabus to ensure that the older edition covers the necessary material.

4. Are there any websites or online resources that can help me choose books for my engineering subjects?

Yes, there are several websites and online resources that can assist you in choosing books for your engineering subjects. Some popular options include Goodreads, Amazon, and the publisher's website. You can also check online forums and reviews for recommendations from other students or professionals in the field.

5. What should I do if I am struggling to understand the material in my chosen textbook?

If you are having difficulty understanding the material in your chosen textbook, you can try seeking help from your professors, teaching assistants, or classmates. You can also look for supplementary materials, such as video lectures or online tutorials, to supplement your learning. Additionally, make use of practice problems and seek clarification on any confusing topics during class or office hours.