Is the Planck Length a 3d area?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of the smallest possible 3d area and the meaning of this in relation to the cusp between 2d and 3d. The question arises whether every 3d area must have a value of length, width, and depth greater than 0 and if these values can be further divided. The discussion touches on the Planck length and its relationship to fundamental quanta, as well as the possibility of the smallest unit being the massless photon. It is suggested that further investigation into string theory or quantum loop gravity may shed light on the nature of spacetime.
Imafungi
If so, is 'its half' also not a real size of space?

What I am asking is pretty much; what is the meaning of the notion of a 'smallest possible' 3d area? What is the meaning of that cusp between 2d and 3d?
Almost like asking what is in between 1.999999999999(repeating) and 2.

Must every 3d area, even the smallest, have some greater than 0 value of length,width and depth? Therefore must those values of length, width and depth be dividable further?

I think the answer might have to do with the Planck length not being a quantitative and qualitative area of 'a pure space of absolute nothing' but a quantitative and qualitative area of common denomination related to the substantial nature of fundamental quanta, but I am not sure.

And I realize the notion of size is different than the notion of mass, though when getting down to the smallest sized levels I think there might be a relation, that is to say; at some point matter can only be dissected so many times, and this perhaps is the idea of fundamental minute quanta that are the smallest possible building blocks of the universe. Is it possible the smallest sized of which happens to be the massless photon?

Physics news on Phys.org
Planck length is merely an idea; it's what you get when you follow Max Planck's system of "natural" units.

If you want to learn about "what may be underneath the hood" of spacetime you will need to investigate string theory or quantum loop gravity.

See http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/planck/node2.html

1. What is the Planck Length?

The Planck Length is the smallest possible length that can be measured in the universe. It is approximately 1.6 x 10^-35 meters.

2. How is the Planck Length related to 3D area?

The Planck Length is not directly related to 3D area. It is a fundamental unit of length, while 3D area is a measure of the surface area of an object in three dimensions.

3. Can the Planck Length be visualized in 3D space?

No, the Planck Length is much smaller than the smallest possible length that can be observed or measured in 3D space. It is a theoretical concept used in quantum physics.

4. What is the significance of the Planck Length?

The Planck Length is significant because it is the scale at which quantum gravity becomes important. It is also the scale at which the fabric of space-time becomes fundamentally discrete instead of continuous.

5. Is the Planck Length a fixed value?

Yes, the Planck Length is a constant value that does not change. It is a fundamental constant of the universe and is not dependent on any external factors.