Calculate Electricity of Lightning Bolt: Formula?

• Thread starter skulliam4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Watts
If given the decibels from the thunder and the distance away the lightning struck, would it be possible to tell the amount of electricity in that bolt of lightning?John: If so, a formula would be much appreciated.In summary, by measuring the time of arrival and duration of thunder, scientists can determine the distance and minimum length of the lightning channel. The pitch of thunder, influenced by factors such as air density and altitude, can also provide insights into the energy input per unit length of the lightning stroke channel. However, decibels do not factor into this calculation.
skulliam4
If given the decibels from the thunder and the distance away the lightning struck, would it be possible to tell the amount of electricity in that bolt of lightning? If so, a formula would be much appreciated.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Apparently decibels don't figure into it.

After consulting Martin A. Uman's basic reference book on lightning, I summarize the following:

From measurement of the time of arrival of the first sound of thunder we can determine the distance to the closest point of the lightning channel.

From the thunder's duration we can determine a minimum length for the channel.

Generally the pitch of thunder is 50 cycles per second. From measurement of pitch and use of appropriate theory, scientists have determined the energy input per unit length of lightning stroke channel (100,000 to 1,000,000 watt-seconds per yard of channel length).

Thunder pitch is also influenced by air density and altitude.

Last edited:
Thunder pitch is also influenced by air density and altitude.

... and proximity ! :smile:

the closer it is the sharper and higher frequency the crack. compared to long distance low frequency rumbles

Dave

Likes 1 person

What is the formula to calculate the electricity of a lightning bolt?

The formula to calculate the electricity of a lightning bolt is Q = I × t, where Q is the charge in coulombs, I is the current in amperes, and t is the time in seconds.

How do you determine the current of a lightning bolt?

The current of a lightning bolt can be determined by dividing the charge (Q) by the time (t), or I = Q/t. The average current of a lightning bolt is around 30,000 amperes.

What is the typical charge of a lightning bolt?

The typical charge of a lightning bolt is around 30 coulombs, but can range from 5 coulombs to 350 coulombs.

Can the formula for calculating electricity of a lightning bolt be used for all types of lightning?

Yes, the formula Q = I × t can be used to calculate the electricity of all types of lightning, including cloud-to-ground, cloud-to-cloud, and intra-cloud lightning.

Are there any factors that can affect the calculation of electricity of a lightning bolt?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the calculation of electricity of a lightning bolt, such as the distance from the lightning strike, the type and size of the lightning bolt, and the conductivity of the surrounding air or objects.