Is the sum of all angles in a triangle always 180 degrees?

In summary, The sum of all angles in a triangle is always 180 degrees, except on a curved surface of very small positive Gaussian curvature where it is 181 degrees. One of the statements is false, which is "ONE OF THE STATEMENT IS FALSE" as it does not accurately reflect the truth value of the previous statements.
ArielGenesis
THE SUM OF ALL ANGLES IN TRIANGLE IS 180 DEGREE
THE SUM OF ALL ANGLES IN TRIANGLE IS 181 DEGREE
ONE OF THE STATEMENT IS FALSE
PLEASE IGNORE SPELLING AND GRAMMATICAL ERROR(S)

Which statement is false?

Physics news on Phys.org
None of them:the first is valid in a plane,the second is valid on a curved surface of very small positive gaussian curvature.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
None of them:the first is valid in a plane,the second is valid on a curved surface of very small positive gaussian curvature.

Daniel.

nope, there are one wrong statement
btw, your answer is part of the trick

The answer is PLEASE IGNORE SPELLING AND GRAMMATICAL ERROR(S) because I didn't ignore spelling and grammatical error(s).

Isn't that more of a request than a statement?
If what Dex says about statements 1 & 2 is true, I'd say:
If statement 3 refers to 1 & 2, then that would be the incorrect statement

Last edited:
I think there's a trick here:the correct answer should be:"ONE OF THE STATEMENT IS FALSE",because the first 2 are true,while the last is true,because we ignored all spelling errors to understand what the OP wanted to say".

It doesn't make too much sense,though.

Daniel.

Does "ONE OF THE STATEMENT IS FALSE" mean one of the above statements is false? If so, "ONE OF THE STATEMENT IS FALSE" would be false.
Eh, dex's post just magically appeared. Strange.

dextercioby got it on the second guess.
yes, honestrosewater. i suppose to write 'above'

the trick is that there is 4 statements, the last one is a request, so cannot be true or false- just as what matthyaouw says. the first and the second statement is true.

In my opinion, a request is a statement. But my answer was meant to be tongue in cheek, don't overanalyze it.

In the formal logical sense, a request is not a statement.

It needs to NOT refer to itself. If it includes itself as "one of the statements", it says: the first statements is false OR the second statement is false OR this statement is false. Surely that looks familiar?? The first and second statements are not false, so the truth of the third statement depends on the truth of the third statement. :wink:

BicycleTree said:
In the formal logical sense, a request is not a statement.
Can you provide a citation for this?

Well, my source was my discrete math course, which used the book Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics by Ralph P. Grimaldi. It must be possible to determine whether a statement is true or false, except in the case of open statements, which may have variables, and upon substitution of the variables open statements can also be determined true or false. A request has no truth value, so it's not a statement. Commands, interjections, questions, and phrases are also not statements.

1. What is the sum of all the angles in a triangle?

The sum of all the angles in a triangle is always 180 degrees. This is known as the Triangle Sum Theorem, and it applies to all types of triangles, including equilateral, isosceles, and scalene triangles.

2. How do you find the missing angle in a triangle?

To find the missing angle in a triangle, you can use the Triangle Sum Theorem. Add the measures of the two known angles and subtract the result from 180 degrees. The remaining angle will be the missing angle.

3. Do all triangles have the same sum of angles?

Yes, all triangles have the same sum of angles, which is 180 degrees. This is a fundamental property of triangles and is true regardless of the size, shape, or orientation of the triangle.

4. Can the sum of angles in a triangle be greater than 180 degrees?

No, the sum of angles in a triangle can never be greater than 180 degrees. The Triangle Sum Theorem states that the sum of all angles in a triangle is equal to 180 degrees, and this holds true for all triangles.

5. Why is the sum of angles in a triangle always 180 degrees?

The sum of angles in a triangle is always 180 degrees because of the geometry of a triangle. Any triangle can be divided into two smaller triangles, each with a sum of angles of 180 degrees. This property holds true for all triangles and is a fundamental principle in geometry.