French Fusion Reactor: Fact & Fiction

In summary: Seems kinda sketchy.Also, why are people talking about this fusion reactor when there are so many other environmental issues that need to be addressed? Anyone have any input?Ok so, this guy brought up some "facts" about the fusion reactor and how it will supposedly provide 2x the worlds energy needs. He also mentioned some other things that need to be looked into like cancer rates and ozone holes. I'm not really sure what the rest of the "facts" are, but i'm going to try and look into them. One thing that is definitely wrong is that CFCs keep in 7,000x as much UV radiation then ozone does. Most cancer cases are from UV exposure (haha oh god). Ozone holes are one
Pengwuino
Gold Member
French fusion reactor and some other skeptical stuff

http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/index.php?feed=Science&article=UPI-1-20050627-10372700-bc-nukefusion.xml

Someone brought this up on a non-scientific site and said it would "provide 2x the worlds energy". Obvious BS so I am wondering if this thing even surpasses zero-energy. If so, how much is it slated to create?

haha also, some other "facts" i need checked.

1) CFC's keep in 7,000x as much UV radiation then ozone
2) Most cancer cases are from UV exposure (haha oh god)
3) Ozone holes are one of the biggest problems ever
4) http://www.theozonehole.com (reliable?)
5) Our entire "trosphere" is covered in harmful gases (mainly CFC's)
6) The ozone hole has closed 20% since '03
7) If the ozone gets down to 35%, everyone will get cancer and die within months

I figure #2 is wrong but i don't know about the rest. I'm tryen to look up #1 but if anyone knew off the top of their heads about the rest, id appreciate the information on it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone wanan take a stab at any of this lol

The facts are hopelessly confused.

1) CFC's keep in 7,000x as much UV radiation then ozone

Convoluted and wrong. It's atmosperic ozone that (effectively) absorbs UV, releasing heat in the process. CFCs form radicals which effectively destroy ozone in a chain radical process, in which CFC radicals are regenerated by UV light. As I remember, a single CFC molecule can destory x thousands of ozone molecules in it's lifetime in the atmosphere (is that were the 7000x comes from?).

But what does this have to do with ITER?

Oh it was a big thread about various environmental issues. Someone brought up ITER saying that it was going to produce 2x the world's energy requirements. Is this true? What are the real facts?

And when do i learn about radicals in college? Introductory chemistry?

I also have no idea what he meant by 7000x. The verbatim statement was "this gases traps heat in our atmosphere and uv rays from the sun 1,500 to 7,000 more then carbon dioxide does ( depending on exactly what)"

Pengwuino said:
Oh it was a big thread about various environmental issues. Someone brought up ITER saying that it was going to produce 2x the world's energy requirements. Is this true? What are the real facts?

It is a little confusing to mix the two.

And when do i learn about radicals in college? Introductory chemistry?

No, most radicals are found in the liberal arts building. :rofl:

In this country they are called free radicals. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lets keep this thread about the claims made. We shouldn't mix these with the news report. I'll start another thread about that.

rofl a bunch of english majors are floating in the atmosphere :D

So what is this ITER and what are its benefits/claims?

Whoops, I was going to start another thread but I hadn't even looked at the title of this one. Please keep this thread about one issue: The "Fusion site expected to go to France" story. If it get derailed and goes all directions, I will just have to split or close the thread.

Well it was all about another thread that was about environmental issues and someone brought up the ITER as being some great solution for environmental problems. There were all "facts" brought up by one guy in a thread and i was just wondering if any of its true as they are somewhat related.

Ok so it says on its website that it will produce 500MW of power... since say, watts bar reactor 1 makes 1.1GW, i hardly consider this to be 2x the worlds energy demands lol. Does anyone know the feasability of the reactor?

1. What is a French Fusion Reactor?

A French Fusion Reactor is a type of nuclear fusion reactor that is being developed by the French Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission (CEA). It is a large, experimental device that uses powerful magnetic fields to confine and control the fusion of hydrogen isotopes, producing energy in the process.

2. How does a French Fusion Reactor work?

A French Fusion Reactor works by using powerful magnetic fields to confine a superheated plasma of hydrogen isotopes. The plasma is heated to extremely high temperatures, causing the atoms to collide and fuse together, releasing energy in the process. The energy produced can then be harnessed and used to generate electricity.

3. Is the French Fusion Reactor a feasible source of energy?

Currently, the French Fusion Reactor is still in the research and development phase and has not yet been proven to be a viable source of energy. However, many scientists believe that if successful, fusion energy has the potential to be a clean and sustainable source of energy for the future.

4. What are the potential benefits of a French Fusion Reactor?

If a French Fusion Reactor is successful, it has the potential to provide a nearly limitless supply of clean energy. This could greatly reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and help mitigate the negative effects of climate change. It could also create new job opportunities and stimulate economic growth.

5. Are there any risks associated with a French Fusion Reactor?

Like any new technology, there are potential risks associated with a French Fusion Reactor. These include the possibility of accidents or malfunctions, as well as the potential for radioactive waste to be produced. However, scientists are working to mitigate these risks and ensure the safety of the technology.

Back