Windows versus the World: Royal Rumble I

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary: However, MacOS X is not the best platform for novice users who just need a cheap computer to browse the web and send emails.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Ok, since we hijacked wolram's spybot thread with a lot of Windows versus Linux/Unix/OS X bickering, I thought the best way to handle this was to start fresh and try to have a civilized debate on the topic. Personal threats, baseless comments, and whining will not be tolorated. If you think Windows or any other operating system is the best, don't just say it is, support your arguments with facts.

Let the battle begin !

Computer science news on Phys.org
I wholeheartedly go for Linux. Fact: I have a Linux machine at work and a Windows XP pro at home. Both always connected to the internet, both heavily used. The first one has NEVER had any pop-up ad problems, viruses, or configuration issues. The XP one, at home, is a quite different story.

It's hard to say one is "best." Each is better suited for its own sort of task.

Linux is the best all-around bleeding edge server platform. FreeBSD or OpenBSD is the best for mission-critical servers that don't need the latest-and-greatest technologies. MacOS X is best for people who appreciate the combination of a powerful operating system and a very streamlined interface, but don't really feel like compiling kernels to get their sound cards to work. Windows is good for novice users who just need a cheap computer to browse the web and send emails.

I would not suggest using Windows for a mission-critical server, nor would I suggest that granny learn to make bzImage. Each has its own utility.

What do I find myself using most? Either Linux or Windows with about equal frequency. There are a few things (like coding) that are more comfortable under Linux, and there are a few things (like tending to my music collection) that are more comfortable under Windows. I'm not picky about which OS I'm running at any given time. All of the basic functionality -- web browser, music player, chat programs -- exist on both and are equally easy to use on both. Generally, I'll continue use whichever OS happens to be booted until I need to do something under the the other.

I should probably just get VMWare.

- Warren

dduardo,

As moderator of this forum, I'd also like you to make sure anyone who makes a specific claim of an operating system's strength or weakness is capable of substantiating the claim with evidence. For example, saying that OpenBSD must have viruses (even though you don't know of any) because anti-virus software exists (even though you don't know of any) is a hollow statement and should not be permitted.

- Warren

i started out with win98 and to be honest was quite happy with it,
i upgraded to win XP after reading that win98 will not be supported
after a certain date, now i have XP i find i have problems that i didn't
have with 98, pop ups, spy ware, i know these problems can be
overcome with additional software, but why do i get more problems
from an updated version of windows? i regularly go to MS help and
download critical updates, OK i could set my pc to do this automatically,
but why do i need to do this for XP and not 98?
i can understand that MS can't defend against ever more sophisticated
attacks, but i did expect better "out of the box", protection from
this OS.

I wholeheartedly go for Linux. Fact: I have a Linux machine at work and a Windows XP pro at home. Both always connected to the internet, both heavily used. The first one has NEVER had any pop-up ad problems, viruses, or configuration issues. The XP one, at home, is a quite different story.

You wholeheartedly go for Linux, eh? Yet, you use Windows XP Professional at home for enjoyment. Usually it's the opposite: Windows @ work, Other OS @ home.

In your case, you use Windows for pleasure.

My XP never has any pop-ups, viruses (I'm hoping never) or config issues. Besides AIM popping-up a news page, I witness none of this. If you mean pop-ups on the internet, then feel free to download a browser with ad-blocking software, nobody is stopping you. But if you want every site on the internet to work with your browser, then keep Microsoft IE and download Google, pretty simple.

What do I find myself using most? Either Linux or Windows with about equal frequency. There are a few things (like coding) that are more comfortable under Linux, and there are a few things (like tending to my music collection) that are more comfortable under Windows.

No, coding is comfortable under Windows. The popular programming languages all work great on Windows. There are tons of languages to choose from. If you want your applications to get exposure, there is no platform better to write it on than Windows with the widest audience.

MacOS X is best for people who appreciate the combination of a powerful operating system and a very streamlined interface
I use OS X everyday. It's a good OS, but don't exagerrate it. The cartoonish interface, dock and spinning beach ball will piss you off more than anything in Windows is no time.
Windows is good for novice users who just need a cheap computer to browse the web and send emails.
No.
For a cheap computer to browse the internet and send Emails, just head to Wal-mart for a $200 computer running Mandrake.
Windows XP Pro is a lot more expensive than most consumer operating systems.

For example, saying that OpenBSD must have viruses (even though you don't know of any) because anti-virus software exists (even though you don't know of any) is a hollow statement and should not be permitted.

ROFL. It was 2 opinions against 1. OpenBSD obviously has viruses and bug issues - they have a mailing list dedicated to it. Subscribe. If it was "virus free" then it wouldn't have one.
Like the other person said, you can't truly believe OpenBSD is completely virus free. Somebody had to have written some virus to attack it.
It's common sense vs a biased opinion. 2 users have noted this, it's just that you're denying it.

i upgraded to win XP after reading that win98 will not be supported
after a certain date, now i have XP i find i have problems that i didn't
have with 98, pop ups, spy ware, i know these problems can be
overcome with additional software, but why do i get more problems
from an updated version of windows? i regularly go to MS help and
download critical updates, OK i could set my pc to do this automatically,
but why do i need to do this for XP and not 98?

When did you upgrade to XP?
Did you have stuff like Kazaa, Morpheus on 98? The differences in the programs you have on each OS make a difference.

Dagenais said:
No, coding is comfortable under Windows.
Well, no, it isn't. Try coding up something that hacks together python, perl, and java with some shell scripts under Windows. Try fighting with Window's lame-ass shell and the horrible 8.3 vestiges still lingering in many of the most basic commands. Try navigating a directory structure with directory names with spaces, or names longer than 8 characters. Try running a real build environment. You have to pay $$$ for tools that can make Windows a decent coding platform, and they're all just rip-offs of free *nix tools.
Windows XP Pro is a lot more expensive than most consumer operating systems.
I don't recall mentioning Windows XP Pro.
It was 2 opinions against 1. OpenBSD obviously has viruses and bug issues - they have a mailing list dedicated to it.
It's not an opinion, professor. No viruses exist for OpenBSD. No anti-virus programs exist for OpenBSD. There certainly are bugs, but I hope you understand the difference. If you're going to continue to say moronic things like Somebody had to have written some virus to attack it, then you need to provide some shred of evidence that it's true. Guess what, Sherlock: it ain't.

- Warren

Mmmmm OSX.

I've got a BSD 486 gateway/firewall sitting in my closet (never crashes and is secure).
I have a PII 333 Linux box (X crashes from time to time but the puter rarely encounters a problem drastic enough to shut down--I run Gentoo BTW).
I have a P4 2.4G XP box for my wife. Not too many problems but not as stable as my *nix computers. More games is a plus, but all the nast bugs put together by script kiddies is a major minus.

By far my favorite 'pute is my G4 iBook. Mmmmm OSX--built around BSD with a snazy interface. I dig the silly cartoon poof when you remove something from the dock. I like the dock (I use a similar dock setup on my PII with KDE but it still isn't as nice as OSX). I like the easy software update system. I like the way software is installed. I like xCode. I like all the things Apple does to make a good software/hardeware package. I'd like more software and hopefully someday OSX will have enough market share to stimulate more development.

My $0.02. Mac OSX all the way. Secure, stable, and slick.

It's not an opinion, professor.
Sure it is. It just so happens that 2 people took an objective view, and just so happened to be right.

Window's lame-ass

Yes...lame-ass. Indeed.

You can't argue with that.

No anti-virus programs exist for OpenBSD.

Sure they do:

http://www.centralcommand.com/openbsd_products.html

http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/bsd/

http://www.johannrain-softwareentwi...us_for_linux_freebsd_openbsd_mail_servers.htm

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.kaspersky.com/de/buyonline.html%3Fchapter%3D944387%26spage%3D3&prev=/search%3Fq%3DAnti-Virus%2B%252BOpenBSD%26start%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN

Last edited by a moderator:
*evil grin*

I was waiting for you to find programs like AntiVir. You've done well -- you found the pages. Step two is to read the pages.

Notice that, in each case, the software is not designed to detect viruses that attack OpenBSD (there aren't any), but instead to detect Windows viruses stuck inside files residing on the server, or stuck inside emails passing through the server.

I'll repeat my original challenge. Give me the name of one, just one OpenBSD virus. If you can't do it, shut the hell up.

- Warren

Dagenais said:
Sure it is. It just so happens that 2 people took an objective view, and just so happened to be right.

Yes...lame-ass. Indeed.

You can't argue with that.

Sure they do:

http://www.centralcommand.com/openbsd_products.html

http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/bsd/

http://www.johannrain-softwareentwi...us_for_linux_freebsd_openbsd_mail_servers.htm

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.kaspersky.com/de/buyonline.html%3Fchapter%3D944387%26spage%3D3&prev=/search%3Fq%3DAnti-Virus%2B%252BOpenBSD%26start%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN

Ahhhhh, your walking a fine line with the AV software for BSD you posted. The programs in the above links run on OBSD but they are not for preventing OBSD specific critters. They are to filter out virus' and trojans that can affect other OS--specifically M$. The AV software isn't "For" BSD but rather for the benefit of M$ and they just happen to run on BSD.

Someday I'll learn to type faster.

It's all right, faust9. I was sitting at the ready at my keyboard, waiting for him to fall into the trap I set for him. It's not as good as beer, but it's fun.

- Warren

chroot said:
It's all right, faust9. I was sitting at the ready at my keyboard, waiting for him to fall into the trap I set for him. It's not as good as beer, but it's fun.

- Warren

lol too funny.

And Microsoft used to run BSD on their Hotmail servers.

Linky:http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/28/23348.html

But a Microsoft spokesperson told Reuters yesterday that Hotmail is the only Microsoft system that runs on U**x, and that the migration is still in progress. A check with Netcraft shows that Hotmail's front edge servers do indeed run Windows 2000, so Microsoft can faithfully claim that the "web site runs Windows", as it did yesterday. But the infrastructure is still stored on BSD kit. How much we're not sure, but when we receive hard numbers, we'll tell you.

Dagenais said:
You wholeheartedly go for Linux, eh? Yet, you use Windows XP Professional at home for enjoyment. Usually it's the opposite: Windows @ work, Other OS @ home.

In your case, you use Windows for pleasure.

You're making assumptions.

It is not me who uses the computer at home. I myself rarely use it. For pleasure and work, I go for Linux. Some three years ago, I used to prepare documents on Word and presentations on PP, and that was about it. Now I definitely prefer tex (and Linux) for both.

My XP never has any pop-ups, viruses (I'm hoping never) or config issues. Besides AIM popping-up a news page, I witness none of this. If you mean pop-ups on the internet, then feel free to download...

Good for you. The way I see it, Linux is excelent for serious work, and Windows is ok for entertainment and for people that don't want to spend time maintaing the computer, but it seems to fail even at that, since you need to spend time learning about adware and security anyway (or getting a friend to fix it).

BTW, I stopped getting any ads when I downloaded Mozilla and stopped using IE. I would erase it if I could.

chroot said:

- Warren
Beautiful! :biggrin: (Greg, we need that devil smiley!)

Maybe I should change the title of this thread to Dagenais versus the World. :biggrin:

In order to balance this thread out I'll name some positive things about Windows:

Lots of intregated components (Windows Media player with IE, IE with practically everything, CD burning with Explorer)
Consistant looking desktop
Good driver support
Easy network/print sharing setup
Wide range of applications

Windows XP SP2 will include a popup block and a security center that monitors your firewall, antivirus and checks for windows updates.

Later I'll talk about the advantages of Linux, but I want some more feedback on the positive aspects of Windows.

DDURADO
Lots of intregated components (Windows Media player with IE, IE with practically everything, CD burning with Explorer)
Consistant looking desktop
Good driver support
Easy network/print sharing setup
Wide range of applications
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
to me this is all whistles and bells, a lot of people use a pc primarily
for the internet, as such windows opened up the world to many
people, but then it destroyed it with its leaky security, if it wasn't
for the uniquity of windows it would have been on the scrap heap
years ago, if MS bring out new versions it should be guaranteed to
be more secure, but how does the end user know unless he she
shells out $,£, and will MS refund your money if it isn't? " roll around
laughing", BGs could announce tomorrow that support will be withdrawn
for all present OS, and force many people to spend more of there
hard earned cash, so what consumer protection do we have?

Here is an article that was recently posted on slashdot:

Microsoft Progress Report: Security
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/execmail/

And Microsoft used to run BSD on their Hotmail servers.

Do they now? Or wait, they USED to. The key word.

Was it unworthy so they dumped it?

lol too funny.

Wasn't it you who first fell into the trap I set that proved you didn't even bother to read the explanation on why Windows isn't more unsafe than the competition?

I'll repeat my original challenge. Give me the name of one, just one OpenBSD virus. If you can't do it, shut the hell up.

Just because you've never seen one doesn't mean it is non-existent. That works almost as good as your "Windows lame-ass" defense.

Is Gates also a "lame-ass"?

Show me a non-lame ass article that claims, "No virus can ever be written for OpenBSD"

Maybe I should change the title of this thread to Dagenais versus the World.

Hardly. I got support from that other person, who had the common sense to admit someone had to have written a virus on OpenBSD that didn't spread.

There are plenty of Windows users here that may ***** about Windows, but at the end of the day they're still using it. Enough said. Even the blind supporters here use it - what does that say about them?

Now nobody answered my question. This website was made on a what? The Server is run on...? What does Mr. Bernardt the admin of this site use?

Or did people purpose avoid the question?

Last edited:
No viruses exist for OpenBSD, and you're an idiot for ever having opened your mouth on the issue. Learn how to admit your mistakes, it makes you more respectable.

Windows' shell is definitely lame-ass. There is no question that it does quite a bit less than even the most basic *nix shell.

pf runs on Linux. We use apache as our webserver. The database is MySQL, and also runs on Linux. The code for the site was developed on Linux.

What Greg uses on his desktop seems rather irrelevant to me.

- Warren

Dagenais said:

Wasn't it you who first fell into the trap I set that proved you didn't even bother to read the explanation on why Windows isn't more unsafe than the competition?

Just because you've never seen one doesn't mean it is non-existent. That works almost as good as your "Windows lame-ass" defense.

Is Gates also a "lame-ass"?

Show me a non-lame ass article that claims, "No virus can ever be written for OpenBSD"

Hardly. I got support from that other person, who had the common sense to admit someone had to have written a virus on OpenBSD that didn't spread.

There are plenty of Windows users here that may ***** about Windows, but at the end of the day they're still using it. Enough said. Even the blind supporters here use it - what does that say about them?

Now nobody answered my question. This website was made on a what? The Server is run on...? What does Mr. Bernardt the admin of this site use?

Or did people purpose avoid the question?

Uhmmm, No. I didn't "fall into the trap." Read my post wherein I state what chroot says (It took me a few minutes longer to type it in though). So, in respons to "...you didn't bother reading..." I did take the time to read what you said. You OTH did not read what I said about virus software being available to run on OBSD not "for" OBSD.

Wow, you get awfully agitated when people speak I'll of big brother don't you?

Can someone write a virus for BSD? probably, but unlikely. BSD kernel has been combed over many many times by dedicated volunteers (like linux) so there is less chance for a BSD virus. There are viruses out there that attack libraries or programs such as sendmail, but those are not BSD specific.

You've got to be kidding me. I hope to god no one pays you for your computer knowledge.

- Warren

Originally posted by Dagenais

Irrelevant. You will never know. The point is they have used it and still using it. If you read the article their server infrastructure is still stored on a BSD kit.

Originally posted by Dagenais
Hasty Generalization.

It's called playing devil's advocate. Because I'm not coming from a Microsoft is a piece of **** bias. I know the advantages and disadvantages of the OS. To argue that It's a very secure OS is weak and pointless.

Last edited:
chroot said:
*evil grin*

Notice that, in each case, the software is not designed to detect viruses that attack OpenBSD (there aren't any), but instead to detect Windows viruses stuck inside files residing on the server, or stuck inside emails passing through the server.

- Warren

I don't really care to take sides on this, but I want to point something out. Isn't a carrier of the virus just as big of a threat as the virus itself?

I have a good friend who is a network admin. for a university. Although I don't necessarily whole heartedly agree with his opinion on the matter, he says:

A computer can be sitting out on the internet running brand-X operating system with a virus sitting in it. It may not be affected by the virus but that doesn't remove liability from it. If the virus moves from this machine to a machine that IS affected by the virus, the machine that passed the virus is just as guilty as the creator of the virus. KNOWINGLY allowing a virus to sit on your computer is simply irresponsible.

Here is a good example. I am fairly satisfied with my ISP. I never see a virus come through my email, they are just about always screened out. The ISP could be running who knows what for an OS. It may very well be immune. BUT, their virus software catches it, which alleviates ME from dealing with it. A less resonsible ISP would say 'deal with your own virus, it doesn't affect us'.

use Windows if:
- you don't care or don't want to know how a computer works.
- you are satisfied with pressing install and hope it all goes well
- you don't have to write drivers
- you don't have to do some serious developing
- you want to play the latest games :biggrin:

use some Unix flavor for everything else...

Averagesupernova said:
I don't really care to take sides on this, but I want to point something out. Isn't a carrier of the virus just as big of a threat as the virus itself?
This is not relevant to the discussion, which concerns whether or not OpenBSD is more secure than WIndows XP.

- Warren

Averagesupernova said:

If It's a Windows virii then it should not affect the BSD machine at all.

Averagesupernova said:
I have a good friend who is a network admin. for a university. Although I don't necessarily whole heartedly agree with his opinion on the matter, he says:

Here is a good example. I am fairly satisfied with my ISP. I never see a virus come through my email, they are just about always screened out. The ISP could be running who knows what for an OS. It may very well be immune. BUT, their virus software catches it, which alleviates ME from dealing with it. A less resonsible ISP would say 'deal with your own virus, it doesn't affect us'.

I would still use an Anti-Virus program. It's good that your ISP has that feature, most ISP's would charge you for it though.

A reply to a message I sent about OpenBSD. He is a Mentor at a popular OpenBSD discussion board, with 1865 posts and a member for 2 years.

Personally, I've last seen the former type during my DOS days. People used to give each other programs on floppies, which sometimes were infected by a virus, and thus a virus would be able to spead. On my BSD boxes I very very rarely use binaries from other people. Most of the time I compile them myself, and sometimes I download them from official repositories. I find very little need to run binaries given to me by friends. Some classical DOS viruses used to infect the master boot record of boot floppies; that's kind of difficult these days too, since I assume that most people use CDs for booting when they can't boot from the HD for some reason, and CDs are read-only.

And assuming that I somehow did manage to get myself a virus, since I don't send other people binaries (why should I), it's difficult for the virus to spread.

And then there's the worm-like type. Let's assume that the virus came as a mail attachment. I don't know any unix-mailer that would allow mails to automatically execute any code, so first I'd have to be dumb enough to run the virus. Since lots of people are dumb enough (see the encripted-zipped worms that appeared lately), that's not a big obstacle. So the virus was run on my system, and now it wants to spread to other users. First, it needs some adresses. There's no standard email program on unix, and thus no standard way to store address books. Plus, a lot of mailers that have address books don't have API calls to read them from outside programs. All this makes it more difficult for the virus to spread. On a system like mine, it won't even find any mails from which to read mail addresses, since I use an IMAP server, and sylpheed doesn't have any API hooks to my knowledge.

Now, let's assume that the virus indeed did manage to find some mail addresses on my system and mail itself to those folks. Most people that I converse with have a different system than mine (most run windows), so that cuts the number of possible recipients down quite a bit. From those that run a binary-compatible OS, very few have a similar mail setup to mine.

So, basically, what I'm trying to say: partially because the BSDs are unpopular as desktop OS, and partially because there's no "standard software", the virus finds itself in a very diverse environment that makes accumulating a "critical mass" (by that I mean enough infected users so that the virus keeps on spreading, ie, the infection rate won't reach 0) very difficult. I think it's very likely that some folks have written BSD virii, but they were simply too unsuccessful to be known.

This, coming from someone who has actually used OpenBSD on a consistent basis. Agreeing with the other user in a previous thread and I, a virus was likely discovered but unable to spread.

What now, Dr. Seus? Are you going to make another stupid assumption like, "I've never seen a plane crash so they never happen"?

You're finished.

You OTH did not read what I said about virus software being available to run on OBSD not "for" OBSD.

Well if that isn't the kettle calling the pot black. You should be the last person telling people what they didn't read. In the last thread, you just linked us to an article that started the whole argument.
You basically just never bother to read links provided.
So tell us, have you actually ever used anything other than Windows for more than a month consistently?

Dagenais said:
A reply to a message I sent about OpenBSD. He is a Mentor at a popular OpenBSD discussion board, with 1865 posts and a member for 2 years.

I don't know, Dagenais. The fact that even "a Mentor at a popular OpenBSD discussion board" did only go as far as considering it "very likely" (clearly implying that he has never actually seen one), does strengthen Chroot's case, not yours.

Actually, your post also shows that you have been looking for information on this on (at least) one BSD-specific board, and that so far you have come out without a single name for a virus affecting BSD, which is what chroot challenged you to provide.

I'm no expert on this, but if I had to bet on it, I'd go with Chroot.

Dagenais said:
Well if that isn't the kettle calling the pot black. You should be the last person telling people what they didn't read. In the last thread, you just linked us to an article that started the whole argument.
You basically just never bother to read links provided.
So tell us, have you actually ever used anything other than Windows for more than a month consistently?

What in god's name are you talking about? I NEVER LINKED TO ANY ARTICLES IN MY THREADS. YOU linked to three propaganda articles to which I QUOTED your post. You can tell a quote because they are shifted to the right, shaded some color (blue in my case), and headed by the word "quote". So, if you REREAD the thread you'll find that I referenced YOUR POST. I did not link to any articles. This just adds more validity to my statement that you did not read my post. Go figure killer. You didn't read it in the first place and your flying off the hande based on ideas pulled from the ether. If you reread my post you'll see that I did read your links and responded that they were programs which run on BSD servers that look for virii associated with other OS's, not BSD. My assertion was exactly the same as what chroot said just a little more diplomatic.

Let me say this again, I NEVER LINKED TO ANY ARTICLES--YOU DID! I know the difference between a program that runs on an OS used to filter virii for other OS's vice a program designed to find and elliminate virii for the OS which the program is running on. You shouldn't make assertions about someones computer proficiency when you seem to be deficient.

Too funny there killer. Keep on beating the dead horse and lashing out with ad-homanum attacks instead of addressing the issues while the rest of us engage in intelligent discussion.

Last edited:
Actually, your post also shows that you have been looking for information on this on (at least) one BSD-specific board, and that so far you have come out without a single name for a virus affecting BSD, which is what chroot challenged you to provide.

How does that go with him?

If it was for Chroot, it would be, "It's very likely that one DOESN'T exist", not "does." In other words, he is in agreeance with me. He is saying that viruses ARE likely in existence, as opposed to AREN'T in Chroot's case.

It's god damn common sense. You could right a perl script right now to delete files in the HD and call it a virus, then attempt to spread it.

Chroot is going for the "doesn't exist" part - which is untrue since there has to be one out there.

Can he show me a legite article that claims a virus has never been on OpenBSD?

Let me say this again, I NEVER LINKED TO ANY ARTICLES--YOU DID!

Awesome. Wait until Dduardo cleans up the other thread, then claim you never did something.

Are you by any chance American? (Clinton)

while the rest of us engage in intelligent discussion.

Intelligent? That cannot be you.

I NEVER LINKED TO ANY ARTICLES IN MY THREADS.

Go pound your keyboard in Caps lock in another post. This isn't IRC Captain Caps.

Last edited:
You could right a perl script right now to delete files in the HD and call it a virus
That's not a virus. That's a script.

- Warren