Can a Senior Undergrad in EE Switch to a Career in Physics?

In summary, Applied Physics may be a good choice for someone who wants to switch to "pure" Physics, but it is difficult to do so and it depends on the individual's background and interests.
maverick280857
Applied Physics --> Physics?

Hi,

Is it possible and feasible to switch from Applied Physics (say with a PhD, having worked on accelerator physics) to 'pure' Physics (say theory, or experiment, in high energy physics)?

I'm trying to weigh my options as a senior undergrad in EE wanting to make a career switch to Physics. But I presume I have a better chance in Applied Physics programs rather than Physics programs. (This, despite having taken courses on QM, Relativity and QFT, since I lack research experience in physics.) Since a few schools do not allow applying to multiple programs, I have to make up my mind.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org

As a person with a masters in "pure" physics, I'd recommend going into applied physics. You're definitely more likely to find a job as your practical skills would make you more marketable. In order to do the applied stuff you'd have to know the theory behind it anyway, so I wouldn't think it would be difficult to switch to "pure" physics if you wanted to. (If you're really looking for something high paying, I hear medical physics is a great field to go into) I had difficulty finding a job after graduating, so now I'm getting certified to teach physics in high school.

Funny, but i know a professor at ucla that said that if he could redo things again, he would be an engineer. He is now a physicist.

MaxwellsDemon said:
(If you're really looking for something high paying, I hear medical physics is a great field to go into) I had difficulty finding a job after graduating, so now I'm getting certified to teach physics in high school.

Hi. No, I'm not looking for a high paying job or anything.

This is probably not an issue with most people at my level, but I have diverse interests in applied physics and physics, and at this point, I have a greedy strategy to want to explore as much as I want. I know indecision is bad entering grad school, but I want to have some academic freedom later and not be restricted by the name of a degree.

My long term goal is to stay in research/academia, so as long as I get a job, I'll be happy. The question didn't originate out of monetary concerns or worries anyway. Its just that as an EE, I probably have a greater shot getting into an Applied Physics program.

maverick280857 said:
Hi. No, I'm not looking for a high paying job or anything.

This is probably not an issue with most people at my level, but I have diverse interests in applied physics and physics, and at this point, I have a greedy strategy to want to explore as much as I want. I know indecision is bad entering grad school, but I want to have some academic freedom later and not be restricted by the name of a degree.

My long term goal is to stay in research/academia, so as long as I get a job, I'll be happy. The question didn't originate out of monetary concerns or worries anyway. Its just that as an EE, I probably have a greater shot getting into an Applied Physics program.

One cannot be very generic when it comes to grad school :biggrin:

But with an engineering background, getting into an applied physics field should not be such a problem but again it depends on specific area of interest. I know a lot of people in IIT Bombay working in the Nanoelectronics programme with a Physics background and atleast one faculty in Physics department has a bachelor's degree in EE but did his PhD in Physics from a reputed institute.

1. What is the difference between applied physics and physics?

Applied physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the practical application of physical principles to real-world problems. It uses theories and concepts from physics to develop new technologies and improve existing ones. Physics, on the other hand, is a broad field of science that encompasses the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world.

2. What are some examples of applied physics?

Some examples of applied physics include the development of new materials, such as superconductors and semiconductors, for use in electronics and technology, the design of medical imaging devices like MRIs and CT scanners, and the study of fluid dynamics to improve the efficiency of engines and turbines.

3. How is applied physics used in everyday life?

Applied physics has a wide range of applications in our everyday lives. It is used in the development of new technologies, such as smartphones, computers, and renewable energy sources. It also plays a role in improving medical treatments and procedures, transportation systems, and communication methods.

4. What skills are needed to pursue a career in applied physics?

To pursue a career in applied physics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Attention to detail, the ability to work in a team, and strong communication skills are also important for success in this field.

5. What are some current research areas in applied physics?

Some current research areas in applied physics include nanotechnology, renewable energy, quantum computing, and biophysics. Researchers are also studying materials and processes at the atomic and molecular level to develop new technologies and improve existing ones.