Reflection coefficient (osmosis)

In summary, the reflection coefficient indicates the permeability of a membrane for a specific molecule. A higher reflection coefficient means the membrane is more impermeable, while a lower coefficient means it is more permeable. In terms of osmotic pressure, a lower reflection coefficient allows for a steady-state condition where the concentration of a molecule on both sides of the membrane becomes equal over time. However, this is subject to limitations as the membrane may eventually dissolve or disintegrate.
majlook
hello ppl,

i have a question about the reflection coefficient...

since the RC indicates the permeabilty of a membrane for a specific molecule...doesnt that mean (If the RC between 0 and 1) that the concentration of that molecule on both sides of the membrane will become the same after a while ??i mean at first there will be a concentration difference but the molecules will keep diffusing to the lower concentration side of the membrane till the concentrations become the same and thus there won't be any osmotic pressure more...

PLZ HELP

Science news on Phys.org
I've forgotten the exact definition of the reflection coefficient, but conceptually, an osmotic jump (for an aqueous solution) is equivalent to a hydrostatic pressure jump. Semipermeable membranes can support on osmotic jump (Donnan equilibrium).

majlook said:
PLZ HELP

If helpful I think the answer is, in a word, yes! Unless the reflection coefficient is 1.

The closer it is to 1 the closer thermodynamic equations will be to reality (useful) for short enough times.

If you think about it probably there is a similar idealisation in most or all thermodynamic treatments. The rigid containers of gases and pistons of theory do not allow any gas to escape, and it and the container are certainly not in true equilibrium with the rest of the universe. In the long run your membrane might dissolve or disintegrate. Or in chemical equilibria an equilibrium between A, B, C and D is treated when they could theoretically form thermodynamically more stable E and F, perhaps in millions of years, just their rate for getting there is so slow it can be ignored. Rather than true equilibrium we are always treating a constrained equilibrium involving only certain processes it seems to me, in your case the devices are noticeably less ideal so this is more obvious.

thx..that helped a lot :)

majlook said:
hello ppl,

i have a question about the reflection coefficient...

since the RC indicates the permeabilty of a membrane for a specific molecule...doesnt that mean (If the RC between 0 and 1) that the concentration of that molecule on both sides of the membrane will become the same after a while ??i mean at first there will be a concentration difference but the molecules will keep diffusing to the lower concentration side of the membrane till the concentrations become the same and thus there won't be any osmotic pressure more...

PLZ HELP

I found the reflection coefficient defined here, and seems to imply how selectively permeable the membrane is:

http://www.anaesthesiamcq.com/FluidBook/fl4_2.php

The reflection coefficient tells you how efficiently an osmotic gradient can be maintained. A reflection coefficient of '1' means the membrane is (selectively) impermeable, while a reflection coefficient of '0' means the membrane is very permeable.

The osmotic gradient across a membrane can be a steady-state condition, and is in fact how biological membranes function. Osmotic gradients are maintained by a variety of transporter proteins that use the free energy of ATP to drive ions against their concentration gradient. Mitochondria perform the reverse: they synthesize ATP using an osmotic gradient (Peter Mitchel''s chemiosmotic theroy)

1. What is the reflection coefficient (osmosis) and how is it calculated?

The reflection coefficient in osmosis is a measure of the ability of a membrane to prevent the passage of solutes. It is calculated by dividing the actual osmotic pressure of a solution by the theoretical osmotic pressure at the same concentration.

2. Why is the reflection coefficient important in understanding osmosis?

The reflection coefficient is important because it helps determine the effectiveness of a membrane in separating solutes. A higher reflection coefficient indicates a more impermeable membrane, while a lower coefficient suggests a more permeable membrane.

3. How does temperature affect the reflection coefficient in osmosis?

Temperature can affect the reflection coefficient in osmosis by altering the properties of the membrane. Higher temperatures may increase the permeability of the membrane, resulting in a lower reflection coefficient.

4. Can the reflection coefficient change over time?

Yes, the reflection coefficient can change over time as the properties of the membrane may change due to various factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical exposure. It is important to regularly monitor and recalibrate the reflection coefficient to ensure accurate measurements.

5. How can the reflection coefficient be used in practical applications?

The reflection coefficient is often used in research and industrial settings to study and optimize the performance of membranes in processes such as reverse osmosis, dialysis, and ultrafiltration. It can also be used to determine the purity of a solvent or to evaluate the efficiency of a purification system.