ANYS Static Structural, How to simulate 'ground ?

In summary, the conversation is about simulating a fixed support in one direction, specifically in a scenario where a frame is being pulled up on one corner while the ground acts as a constraint. The advice given is to fix one edge and apply force on the other edge or node.
LiquidTurbo
ANYS Static Structural, How to simulate 'ground"?

Hello all, first post.

I'm having trouble simulating a fixed support in only ONE direction.

For example, imagine a gigantic frame laid on the ground and you wanted to see the forces deflect from pulling up on one corner, (the ground acts as a constraint)

ie. I'm trying to fix something in that it can't go through the ground, but is able to deflect upward.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org

I would start by making one of the edge fixed and then applying force on the other edge as required. If this is a 1D problem, i would make one of the nodes fixed and applying force to the other node.

1. How do I define a ground boundary condition in ANSYS Static Structural?

In ANSYS Static Structural, you can define a ground boundary condition by selecting the "Fixed Support" option and then specifying the directions in which the boundary is fixed. This will restrict the movement of the selected geometry in those directions, essentially simulating a ground constraint.

2. Can I simulate a non-uniform ground in ANSYS Static Structural?

Yes, you can simulate a non-uniform ground in ANSYS Static Structural by using the "Contact" feature. This allows you to specify contact regions between the ground and your model, and define the contact behavior, such as friction or roughness.

3. How do I apply a load on the ground in ANSYS Static Structural?

To apply a load on the ground in ANSYS Static Structural, you can use the "Remote Displacement" feature. This allows you to apply a displacement to a specified point on the ground, which will then generate a reaction force that acts as the load on the ground.

4. Can I simulate multiple grounds in ANSYS Static Structural?

Yes, you can simulate multiple grounds in ANSYS Static Structural by using the "Multiple Supports" feature. This allows you to define multiple fixed supports with different boundary conditions, such as fixed or sliding, which can represent different ground conditions in your simulation.

5. How do I check the accuracy of my ground simulation in ANSYS Static Structural?

To check the accuracy of your ground simulation in ANSYS Static Structural, you can use the "Reaction Solution" tool. This will show you the reaction forces at each fixed support, which should be equal and opposite to the applied loads. You can also compare the displacement results at the ground surface to the expected values from your simulation.