Is the dimension of two vector spaces the same if they have equal cardinality?

• Thread starter rhobymic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cardinality
In summary, the question is whether two vector spaces with equal cardinality also have the same dimension. One argument states that dimension is based on the cardinality of basis vectors, not the full space, so the answer is no. However, this is not a proof and therefore the possibility of two vector spaces with equal cardinality but different basis vectors remains. The other argument suggests that if there is a bijection between V and W, then there is an isomorphic linear transformation between them, implying that they have the same dimension. However, this is not always the case as a bijection does not necessarily mean a linear transformation. It is also important to note that Cantor's theorem proves that R and R2 have the same cardinality,
rhobymic
This is not a homework question ...

If two vector spaces, say V and W, have equal cardinality |V|=|W| ... do they then have the same dimension? That is dim(V)=dim(W)?

I am struggling with making this call one way or the other. This is no area of expertise for me by any means so I know I am missing something important but here are my thoughts:

-> No it does not mean they have the same dim. Dimension is the value of the cardinality of the BASIS vectors of a vector space not the cardinality of the full vector space.

-> Yes it does because if |V|=|W| is true then there is a bijection between V and W and therefor an isomorphic linear transformation T between V and W. This would imply that T carries a basis from V into W and so V and W would have the same cardinality of basis vectors er go the same dimension...

I am still leaning towards "No" because I think the assumption that if V and W are bijective then there is an isomorphic linear transformation is probably not possible...

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
rhobymic said:
This is not a homework question ...

If two vector spaces, say V and W, have equal cardinality |V|=|W| ... do they then have the same dimension? That is dim(V)=dim(W)?

I am struggling with making this call one way or the other. This is no area of expertise for me by any means so I know I am missing something important but here are my thoughts:

-> No it does not mean they have the same dim. Dimension is the value of the cardinality of the BASIS vectors of a vector space not the cardinality of the full vector space.

This is a nice observation, but it is not a proof. To answer the question as "no", you just need to come up with two vector spaces that have equal cardinality but not equal basis.

-> Yes it does because if |V|=|W| is true then there is a bijection between V and W and therefor an isomorphic linear transformation T between V and W. This would imply that T carries a basis from V into W and so V and W would have the same cardinality of basis vectors er go the same dimension...

I don't really see why an arbitrary bijection would be an isomorphism...

rhobymic said:
Thanks for any help!
A bijection needs not be linear. In fact, Cantor proved that R and R2 have the same cardinality, and hence that all Rn (n>0) have the same cardinality. For a proof, see Theorem 2 here. (The proof is actually incomplete, since the author has forgotten the 0.99999...=1 problem. But it can be fixed.)

1. What is the difference between cardinality and dimension?

Cardinality refers to the number of elements in a set, while dimension refers to the number of independent variables needed to describe a space or object.

2. How do you calculate cardinality?

The cardinality of a set can be calculated by counting the number of elements in the set.

3. Can the cardinality of a set be infinite?

Yes, the cardinality of a set can be infinite. This means that the set has an uncountable number of elements.

4. How does dimension affect the complexity of a problem?

In general, the higher the dimension of a problem, the more complex it becomes. This is because more independent variables are needed to describe the problem, making it more difficult to solve.

5. What is the significance of cardinality and dimension in data analysis?

Cardinality and dimension are important concepts in data analysis because they help us understand the size and complexity of datasets. They also play a role in determining the best methods for analyzing and visualizing data.