Does a C in physics 1 Mechanics look bad for an engineering major?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of retaking a physics course in order to achieve a better grade and solidify understanding before moving on to the next course. The questions asked are whether a C in physics would hurt future academic performance and if it is necessary to have a strong understanding of physics 1 before taking physics 2. The speaker suggests that the main concern should be understanding the material for future courses, rather than the appearance of the grade. They also advise the person to assess their own understanding and retake the class if necessary. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of the exams and the potential for retaking the course.
Toranc3
I am debating on whether I should retake this course to not only get a better grade but to also make sure I have a better understanding of it before I go into physics 2 electromagnetism.

two questions:
Will a C in physics hurt me?
Should I make sure I have physics 1 mechanics down before attempting physics 2 electromagnetism?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether it looks bad is the least of your problems. Your major problem now is that you probably don't know the material all that well. At least, that is what a C indicates.

Physics I is quite important. Other courses may depend on it a lot. If you don't know the material well, then you will struggle in those other courses. So the first concern you should have now is that you got to know the material for the future.

Maybe you do know the material well enough to go to other courses, but only you can decide that. You have to find out what you did wrong and make the necessary adjustments.

micromass said:
Whether it looks bad is the least of your problems. Your major problem now is that you probably don't know the material all that well. At least, that is what a C indicates.

Physics I is quite important. Other courses may depend on it a lot. If you don't know the material well, then you will struggle in those other courses. So the first concern you should have now is that you got to know the material for the future.

Maybe you do know the material well enough to go to other courses, but only you can decide that. You have to find out what you did wrong and make the necessary adjustments.

Thanks for replying and I am going to retake the class. I read the chapters but the exams were still tough. Nobody did really well on them in my class but I put in a lot of hard work. There might have been a chance that I could have gotten a B only because so many people did poorly on the last exam but I know that that B would not have been legit. I want an A though.

Toranc3 said:
Thanks for replying and I am going to retake the class. I read the chapters but the exams were still tough. Nobody did really well on them in my class but I put in a lot of hard work. There might have been a chance that I could have gotten a B only because so many people did poorly on the last exam but I know that that B would not have been legit. I want an A though.

I understand that nobody really did well, but somehow some people did manage to get an A or a B, right? Getting a C means that you don't know the material as well as the people who got an A or a B. It could also mean other things of course, like that you had a bad day on the day of the final exam, etc.

You have to ask yourself how well you know the material. In particular: do you know the material well enough to get through the other classes. Even with a C, it may turn out that you do know the material well (or even with an A, it may turn out that you don't). Your grade is only one indication. But eventually, it is a question that you have to answer yourself. Maybe you can try to solve some hard questions in physics or from other exams and see how well you do??

Anyway, if you think that you know the material well enough, then I wouldn't bother retaking the class. If you did poorly in Mechanics I, but if you got excellent scores on your other classes, then people will see that the Mechanics score was just a small bump in the road and nothing serious. A freshman is usually allowed to make these kind of mistakes. If you're a senior however, then this might have been much more serious.

However, if you doubt that you know your stuff well, then I would certainly retake the class. You can only benefit from it.

The answer to your question depends on whether "Physics 1" refers to, e.g., a course at a community college, or honors physics at MIT. If it's the former, your C is actually an F. If it's the latter, then congratulations for passing.

What school allows you to retake a course after getting a C??

bcrowell said:
The answer to your question depends on whether "Physics 1" refers to, e.g., a course at a community college, or honors physics at MIT. If it's the former, your C is actually an F. If it's the latter, then congratulations for passing.

What school allows you to retake a course after getting a C??

The semester has not finished yet but I am at a C. This is a course at a community college. I just do not feel good on getting a C in that class. I would have to do poorly on purpose to get lower than a C in that class because we can't bargain for our grade.

Toranc3 said:
The semester has not finished yet but I am at a C. This is a course at a community college. I just do not feel good on getting a C in that class. I would have to do poorly on purpose to get lower than a C in that class because we can't bargain for our grade.

This is not good at all. Getting a C in a community college physics course is bad and is kind of equivalent to failing the course. In this case, I think it is fair to say that you indeed do not understand the material as well as you should understand it. So I highly suggest to retake the course.

" I read the chapters but the exams were still tough."

Is this all you did? Did you read the examples until you understood them? How many questions did you practice before you did the exam?

Darth Frodo said:
" I read the chapters but the exams were still tough."

Is this all you did? Did you read the examples until you understood them? How many questions did you practice before you did the exam?

After I read a section I would try to do the example on my own. I defnitely did read the exampls and the problems I practiced were on the books study guide which only gave 8 or 9 practice problems per chapter. I also did the homework the teacher gave out which were about another 10 problems. I am assuming that this was the problem. I was working hard and doing my reading but maybe I was not studying the "right way". What would you recommend on how I should study? Did I practice enough problems?

Toranc3 said:
After I read a section I would try to do the example on my own. I defnitely did read the exampls and the problems I practiced were on the books study guide which only gave 8 or 9 practice problems per chapter. I also did the homework the teacher gave out which were about another 10 problems. I am assuming that this was the problem. I was working hard and doing my reading but maybe I was not studying the "right way". What would you recommend on how I should study? Did I practice enough problems?

Were you able to solve the problems without help?
After solving the problems, did you feel like you understood the material?
Did you actively look for very hard problems to solve?

What were the typical mistakes you made in your tests??
Can you explain why you got a C?
Did you talk to your teacher about your performance?

micromass said:
Getting a C in a community college physics course is bad and is kind of equivalent to failing the course. In this case, I think it is fair to say that you indeed do not understand the material as well as you should understand it. So I highly suggest to retake the course.

Yep. I teach physics at a community college, and this is exactly right. A C is really an F. You could take the course again at another community college, or you could consider changing your major.

Toranc3 said:
What would you recommend on how I should study? Did I practice enough problems?

Often when students practice problems, what they get out of doing the problems is not what they should be getting. You can try to do them by applying cookie-cutter problem solving procedures, or you can do them by understanding fundamental principles and applying the principles.

Since you're at a community college, you should have good access to your prof in office hours. If you end up retaking the course, get some face time with your prof, working on problems. Show up having tackled the problems and knowing exactly where you're stuck and need help.

bcrowell said:
Yep. I teach physics at a community college, and this is exactly right. A C is really an F. You could take the course again at another community college, or you could consider changing your major.
Often when students practice problems, what they get out of doing the problems is not what they should be getting. You can try to do them by applying cookie-cutter problem solving procedures, or you can do them by understanding fundamental principles and applying the principles.

Since you're at a community college, you should have good access to your prof in office hours. If you end up retaking the course, get some face time with your prof, working on problems. Show up having tackled the problems and knowing exactly where you're stuck and need help.

How does retaking the class at a different community college work out? I thought that once you got a C you can't retake it anymore. Also should I have practiced all of the physics problems in the book?

micromass said:
Were you able to solve the problems without help?
After solving the problems, did you feel like you understood the material?
Did you actively look for very hard problems to solve?

What were the typical mistakes you made in your tests??
Can you explain why you got a C?
Did you talk to your teacher about your performance?

The problems that I practiced were never as hard as the ones from the exams. My mistake was not being able to apply what I learned to a whole new problem that I have never seen before. I guess that would mean the critical thinking part.

Toranc3 said:
How does retaking the class at a different community college work out? I thought that once you got a C you can't retake it anymore.

I don't think one community college knows or cares what you've taken at another community college, unless it's a prerequisite issue, in which case they make you bring them a transcript. (This is how I think it works here in California.)

What state are you in?

bcrowell said:
I don't think one community college knows or cares what you've taken at another community college, unless it's a prerequisite issue, in which case they make you bring them a transcript. (This is how I think it works here in California.)

What state are you in?

I am in California too. I most likely will be getting a D though :(. Then retake this class in the spring.

1. Does getting a C in physics 1 Mechanics affect my chances of getting into an engineering major?

No, getting a C in physics 1 Mechanics does not necessarily affect your chances of getting into an engineering major. Admissions committees consider various factors such as overall GPA, coursework, and test scores when making decisions. A C in one course may not significantly impact your overall application.

2. Will a C in physics 1 Mechanics hurt my future career prospects as an engineer?

Again, a single grade in one course will not make or break your future career prospects as an engineer. Employers will look at your overall academic performance, as well as your skills and experience, when considering you for a job. Additionally, many engineers go on to specialize in specific areas of engineering, so a lower grade in physics 1 Mechanics may not be relevant to your desired career path.

3. Do I need to retake physics 1 Mechanics if I received a C in order to be successful in my engineering major?

It depends on your individual circumstances and academic goals. If you are struggling in your other physics courses or feel like you did not fully understand the material in physics 1 Mechanics, it may be beneficial to retake the course. However, if you feel confident in your understanding of the material and your overall academic performance is strong, retaking the course may not be necessary.

4. Can I still get into a top engineering program with a C in physics 1 Mechanics?

As mentioned before, admissions committees consider a variety of factors when making decisions. While a strong academic record is important, it is not the only factor that determines acceptance into a top engineering program. Your application should also highlight your achievements, skills, and potential to succeed in the field of engineering.

5. Should I be worried about my future academic success if I received a C in physics 1 Mechanics?

Receiving a C in one course does not necessarily mean you will struggle in all future courses. It is important to reflect on what may have contributed to your grade in physics 1 Mechanics and make adjustments to improve your academic performance in the future. Seek help from professors, tutors, or study groups if needed. With hard work and dedication, a C in one course should not hinder your future academic success.