Generalized Boltzmann dist. (insights to share)

In summary, the conversation discussed the fundamental principles of statistical mechanics, the role of energy in isolated systems, and the generalized Boltzmann probability distribution. The post also highlighted the importance of making connections and reorganizing knowledge to gain a deeper understanding of fundamental concepts.
sam_bell
I was reading about the thermodynamics of the free-electron gas last night, and my mind veered to fundamental concepts of statistical mechanics. I was able to reorganize my knowledge in a way that made everything clearer. In it, energy does not play a role more privileged than any other conserved quantity. I got excited and thought I would share. These ideas are an extension of what is in Kittel & Kroemer.

The fundamental principle of statistical mechanics is that all states of an isolated system are equally likely. A macroscopic state of a system is one which fully characterizes the system at equilibrium, without specifying the exact configuration of all the microscopic degrees of freedom. One of the macroscopic states will have a very large number of corresponding microscopic states, much more than other macroscopic state. By the fundamental postulate, this is the macroscopic state that will be observed. It has the largest entropy S, as measured by S = log(microscopic states). It is from this consideration we derive the basic laws of statistical mechanics.

The first law we are familiar with is that two systems in contact must have the same temperature. If they don't, energy will flow until the temperatures are the same. We can extend this concept to any conserved quantity; like particle number N, volume V, momentum Q, and angular momentum L. Consider two systems, denoted '1' and '2'. The two systems may share particles, volume, and momentum; as long as dN2 = -dN1, dV2 = -dV1, ..., dL1 = -dL2. The combined entropy is S = S1 + S2 = S1(N1,V1,U1,Q1,L1) + S2(N2,V2,U2,Q2,L2). We are looking for the exchange of particle, energy, etc. such that the combined entropy is maximum. This will happen when all partial derivatives of S vanish, i.e.

0 = dS
= (dS1/dN1)dN1 + (dS1/dV1)dV1 + (dS1/dU1)dU1 + dot((dS1/dQ1),dQ1) + dot((dS1/dL1),dL1) + (dS2/dN2)dN2 + (dS2/dV2)dV2 + (dS2/dU2)dU2 + dot((dS2/dQ2),dQ2) + dot((dS2/dL2),dL2)
= [(dS1/dN1)-(dS2/dN2)]dN1 + [(dS1/dV1)-(dS2/dV2)]dV1 + [(dS1/dU1)-(dS2/dU2)]dU1 + dot([(dS1/dQ1)-(dS2/dQ2)],dQ1) + dot([(dS1/dL1)-(dS2/dL2)],dL1) .

The 'dot' product is present because Q and L are vector quantities. For convenience, we define A = (dS/dN)_V,U,Q,L; B = (dS/dV)_N,U,Q,L; C = (dS/dU)_N,V,Q,L; D = (dS/dQ)_N,V,U,L; and E = (dS/dL)_N,V,U,Q. Then maximum entropy requires A1 = A2, ..., E1 = E2. If we look up the definition of chemical potential, pressure, and temperature; we find A = -mu/T, B = P/T, and C = 1/T. The condition A1 = A2, B1 = B2, and C1 = C2 then translates into the aforementioned properties being equal at thermal equilibrium. The vector quantities D and E represent momentum potentials. If they are not equal, there will be a flow of momentum. Now consider the limit in which the second system is so large that the transfer of particles, volume, energy, and momentum has virtually no effect on its macroscopic state. It acts as a reservoir with fixed A2, B2, C2, D2, and E2; forcing the first system to come to equilibrium with a fixed temperature, chemical potential, pressure, etc. For terrestrial thermodynamics, we consider D and E fixed to zero. In a spinning neutron star though, E would be non-zero. #

The second law we are familiar with is the Boltzmann probability distribution. We can derive a generalized Boltzmann law in presence of exchanges other than the energy, like momentum and volume. Again we consider the system ('1') in contact with a reservoir ('2'). The combined system conserves N0 = N1 + N2, V0 = V1 + V2, ..., and L0 = L1 + L2. Because the reservoir is infinitely large, we can consider N1 << N2, V1 << V2, ..., L1 << L2. By the fundamental postulate, the likelihood that the first system is in a given microscopic state 'i' is proportional to the number of states available to the reservoir. This is given by

# states = exp[S2(N2,V2,U2,Q2,L2)] = exp[ S2(N0-N1,V0-V1,U0-U1,Q0-Q1,L0-L1) ]
= exp[ S2(N0,V0,U0,Q0,L0) - (dS2/dN2) N1 - (dS2/dV2) V1 - (dS2/dU2) U1 - dot(dS2/dQ2,Q1) - dot(dS2/dL2,L1) ]
= exp[ S2(N0,V0,U0,Q0,L0) - A N1 - B V1 - C U1 - dot(D,Q1) - dot(E,L1) ]
= exp[ S2(N0,V0,U0,Q0,L0) + mu/T N1 - P/T V1 - 1/T U1 - dot(D,Q1) - dot(E,L1) ] .

Because we are looking for a proportionality, we can drop the fixed constant exp[ S2(N0,V0,U0,Q0,L0) ]. The general probability is then (omitting the label '1')

prob(i) = exp[ -( U_i + P*V_i - mu*N_i )/T - dot(D,Q_i) - dot(E,L_i) ]/Z ,

where Z is a normalization constant, and an explicit dependence of the macroscopic variables on the microscopic state 'i' has been included. Taking D = E = 0, and constraining the available microscopic states to V_i = V, reduces this to the canonical Boltzmann distribution. #

I hope that helps make statistical mechanics clearer for you, as it did for me.

Sam Bell

Physics news on Phys.org
is,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on statistical mechanics and the thermodynamics of the free-electron gas. It's always exciting to see someone making connections and gaining a deeper understanding of fundamental concepts. I agree with your statement that energy is not more privileged than any other conserved quantity in statistical mechanics. In fact, the concept of energy conservation is a direct consequence of the fundamental postulate that all states of an isolated system are equally likely.

I also appreciate your explanation of how the Boltzmann probability distribution can be generalized to include exchanges of other conserved quantities, such as momentum and volume. Your example of a spinning neutron star is a great illustration of this concept.

Overall, your post serves as a great reminder of the power and elegance of statistical mechanics in explaining and predicting the behavior of physical systems. Keep up the great work in your studies!

1. What is a Generalized Boltzmann distribution?

The Generalized Boltzmann distribution is a statistical distribution that describes the probability of a particle having a certain energy level in a system. It is based on the principles of thermodynamics and is commonly used in physics and chemistry to describe the behavior of particles in a system.

2. How is the Generalized Boltzmann distribution different from the Boltzmann distribution?

The Generalized Boltzmann distribution is an extension of the Boltzmann distribution, which only applies to systems in thermal equilibrium. The Generalized Boltzmann distribution can be used for systems that are not in thermal equilibrium, as it takes into account factors such as external forces and interactions between particles.

3. What insights can the Generalized Boltzmann distribution provide?

The Generalized Boltzmann distribution can provide insights into the energy distribution of particles in a system, as well as the overall behavior of the system. It can also be used to calculate thermodynamic properties such as entropy and free energy.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Generalized Boltzmann distribution?

The Generalized Boltzmann distribution has a wide range of applications, including in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is commonly used in the study of gases, liquids, and solids, as well as in the development of new materials and technologies.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Generalized Boltzmann distribution?

Like any statistical distribution, the Generalized Boltzmann distribution has its limitations. It assumes that the particles in a system are non-interacting and that all energy levels are equally likely, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. Additionally, it may not accurately describe systems with a small number of particles or systems with complex interactions.

Back