Calculation of Lorentz Force in Generator and its mass equivalence

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in calculating the force and weight equivalent of a coil moving over magnets in a short circuit condition. They have determined that the force exerted on the coil is 230 N/Amp.m when a current of 5 amps is passing through it. They are now looking to relate this force to weight equivalent and are seeking assistance with the conversion.
Alkemist
Greetings All -
Per F=BIL I can calculate quantity of Force on coil (or magnet), when I draw certain amount of current from the generator.
So I need help in calculating the Force and then weight equivalent of it. Let's say I have Single coil [with 300 turns] generator [wire length = 92 meter], when I move that coil over Magnets in short circuit condition, I sense the opposite force [F] as current [I = 5 amp] passes through the coil. I calculate the amount of opposite force, being exerted on coil for that current as: B = (0.5 T)

F = 0.5 * 5 * 92 = 230 N/Amp.m [Am I correct in Units?], this means I feel the force of 230 N/Amp.m continuously.

Now I want to know how can I relate this force to weight equivalent? I mean when I hold 1 kg weight in my hand I feel F = 9.8 kg.m/s.s

Any help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are talking about 1 g Earth gravity, then the gravitational constant 6.67 × 10 −11 Newton-metre 2-kilogram −2 is the conversion between Newtons and kg.

1. How is Lorentz force calculated in a generator?

The Lorentz force in a generator is calculated using the equation F = qvB, where F is the force, q is the charge, v is the velocity, and B is the magnetic field. This equation takes into account the motion of the charge in the magnetic field and the resulting force acting on the charge.

2. What is the significance of Lorentz force in generators?

The Lorentz force is crucial in generators as it is responsible for the conversion of mechanical energy to electrical energy. This force acts on the charges in the generator's wire, causing them to move and ultimately generating electricity through the process of electromagnetic induction.

3. How is the mass equivalence of Lorentz force in a generator determined?

The mass equivalence of Lorentz force in a generator is determined by calculating the energy of the system using the equation E = mc^2, where E is the energy, m is the mass, and c is the speed of light. This energy is equivalent to the amount of energy needed to create a mass according to Einstein's famous equation.

4. How does the Lorentz force affect the efficiency of a generator?

The Lorentz force directly affects the efficiency of a generator as it determines the amount of electrical energy that can be generated. A higher Lorentz force results in a higher conversion of mechanical energy to electrical energy and thus, a more efficient generator.

5. What factors can affect the calculation of Lorentz force in a generator?

The calculation of Lorentz force in a generator can be affected by various factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the charges, and the amount of charge present in the wire. Additionally, factors like the resistance of the wire and external forces acting on the generator can also impact the final calculation of Lorentz force.