Volume Calculation: Disk, Washer & Shell Methods

• Thread starter jacy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation discusses methods for finding the volume of a solid obtained by revolving over a region. The three methods mentioned are the disk, washer, and shell method, but the person is unsure of when to apply each method and is looking for guidance. Suggestions are given, including using Pappus' Second Theorem and checking out a specific website for guidance. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the concepts and suggests reading the section multiple times for better understanding. The conversation concludes with well wishes for a happy new year.
jacy
Hi,
Is there a guideline that one can follow when finding the volume of a solid obtained by revolving over a region. The three methods that i know are disk, washer, and shell method. But i don't know when to apply which method. My book doesn't explain it clearly. If anyone could help me with this, i will appreciate it. Thanking you, and have a safe and wonderful holiday.

Physics news on Phys.org
jacy said:
Hi,
Is there a guideline that one can follow when finding the volume of a solid obtained by revolving over a region. The three methods that i know are disk, washer, and shell method. But i don't know when to apply which method. My book doesn't explain it clearly. If anyone could help me with this, i will appreciate it. Thanking you, and have a safe and wonderful holiday.

Depends on the symmetry of the object and how it is rotated, but you can apply both if you want. Actually, this is a good exercise...

Check out :

http://mathdemos.gcsu.edu/shellmethod/ I used this website when i tutored students in college. I recommend it...
disk and shell method

regards
marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
You could use Pappus' Second Theorem.

marlon said:
Depends on the symmetry of the object and how it is rotated, but you can apply both if you want. Actually, this is a good exercise...
Check out :
http://mathdemos.gcsu.edu/shellmethod/ I used this website when i tutored students in college. I recommend it...
disk and shell method
regards
marlon

thanks marlon, i will check it out.

Tide said:
You could use Pappus' Second Theorem.

I am not familiar with Pappus' Second theorem. We never learned that theorem. Thanks

jacy said:
Hi,
You use the disk method when you know you can distinquish a inner and outer fuction, and want to produce a glass china.
To use the waster method, you are trying to find many A(x), to do a intergral of many A(x)dx s. you see, A(x) can have different geometries( If you were to do a disk erercise with and waster method, then A(x) is always a damn circle)
The shell method is sort of like the waster method, but all you are doing is rotating a figure across a given axis.
My recommendation is to read that section 5 times, and try to understand it intuitively. My advice cannot do a damn thing for you, but it helps me to reflect more deeply.

Last edited:
jacy said:
I am not familiar with Pappus' Second theorem. We never learned that theorem. Thanks

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PappussCentroidTheorem.html"
The theorem is very interesting, is it not?

siddharth said:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PappussCentroidTheorem.html"
The theorem is very interesting, is it not?

Thanks Siddharth, Tide, Marlon, and Kant. All u guys have a Happy New Year.

What is the Disk Method for calculating volume?

The Disk Method is a mathematical technique used to calculate the volume of a solid of revolution, such as a wine glass or a vase, by integrating the area of a cross-section of the solid.

How is the Washer Method different from the Disk Method?

The Washer Method is an extension of the Disk Method, where the cross-sections being integrated are formed by subtracting the area of a smaller circle from a larger circle. This is typically used when the solid being calculated has a hole or empty space in the middle.

What is the Shell Method used for in volume calculation?

The Shell Method, also known as the Cylinder Method, is another technique used to calculate the volume of a solid of revolution. It involves integrating the surface area of a cylindrical shell around the solid rather than the area of the cross-sections.

Can the Disk, Washer, and Shell methods be used for any solid of revolution?

Yes, the Disk, Washer, and Shell methods can be used to calculate the volume of any solid that can be formed by rotating a 2D shape around a line. However, the shape of the cross-sections and the orientation of the rotation axis may differ for each method.

What are the limitations of using volume calculation methods?

While the Disk, Washer, and Shell methods are useful for calculating the volumes of many solids, they do have their limitations. These methods cannot be used for non-revolutionary shapes or for solids with changing cross-sections. In these cases, other techniques such as the cross-sectional area method may be more appropriate.