Distance between Binary Star Systems

In summary, a binary star system with a period of 90 days has two stars, each with a mass double that of the sun, rotating around the center of mass like a dumbell. The distance between the stars can be calculated using the formula r = \sqrt[3]{\frac {GM}{2 \omega^2} }, where G is the gravitational constant and \omega is the angular velocity. This formula yields a distance of 9.33*10^{10} m, which is twice the value provided in the book. It is possible that the book's answer gives the radius of rotation instead of the diameter.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
A binary star system has a period of T=90 days. Each star is 2X the mass of the sun. They rotate like a dumbell around the center of mass. what is the distance d between them?
OK first, Mass of sun = [tex] 1.99 X 10^{30} kg [/tex]
Lets concentrate on one of the stars rotating around the center of mass. The force of gravity on this star is the centripetal force keeping the star circling the center. So:
[tex] F_{g} = F_{c}//
\frac{\G(2M)(4M)}{r^2} = (2M)r\omega^2//
\frac{G(4M)}{\omega^2} = r^3//
r = \sqrt [3] {\frac{\G(4M)}{\omega^2}} [/tex]
If [tex] \omega = 2 \pi f [/tex] converting T to f and converting to the right units we get
[tex] \omega = 8.08 X 10^{-7} rad/s [/tex]
Now the answer in the back of my book gives the answer as [tex] 9.33 X 10^{10} m [/tex] (Knight, Chapt 12 #61) I'm getting double that value somehow. I can't see what I did wrong. I'm beginning to think that the answer in the back is giving the radius of rotation when it should be giving the diameter. Chances are I'm doing something stupid. Hopefully someone here may see what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for you help. Also if someone can tell me how to make something go to a new line in latex my formulas will be much more legible :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've got the same answer as your book.

You seem to make one or two mistakes in the distance of two stars or the mass of each star in [tex]F_g[/tex]

My calculation is

Let [tex]r[/tex] be the radius (half the distance).

[tex] F_g = \frac {G(2M)^2}{(2r)^2}, F_c = (2M)r\omega^2[/tex]

so

[tex]r = \sqrt[3]{\frac {GM}{2 \omega^2} } = 4.66*10^{10} m[/tex] where [tex]G= 6.672*10^{-11}[/tex]

[tex]distance = 2r = 9.33*10^{10} m[/tex]

Last edited:
ahh i see thank you.

how did u do the second step? i.e.,r=(GM/2w square)*1/3

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your calculations and thought process. It seems like you have done the calculations correctly, and your answer is indeed double the value given in the book. This could be due to a couple of reasons:

1. The answer in the book may be incorrect. It is always possible for errors to occur in published materials, and it is important to double-check and verify information.

2. The answer in the book may be giving the radius of rotation instead of the diameter. As you mentioned, this is a possibility and it would explain the discrepancy in your calculations.

In terms of formatting in LaTeX, to go to a new line you can use two forward slashes (//) or use the "newline" command (\newline).

I hope this helps and keep up the good work in your calculations!

1. What is the definition of "Distance between Binary Star Systems"?

The distance between binary star systems refers to the physical separation between two stars that orbit around a common center of mass. This distance is typically measured in astronomical units (AU) or light-years.

2. How is the distance between binary star systems calculated?

The distance between binary star systems is calculated using various methods such as parallax measurements, Doppler shift, and eclipsing binary analysis. These methods use observations of the stars' movements and interactions to determine their relative distances.

3. What is the average distance between binary star systems?

The average distance between binary star systems varies greatly and depends on the specific system. Some binary star systems can have separations of only a few astronomical units, while others can have distances of hundreds or even thousands of AU.

4. Can the distance between binary star systems change over time?

Yes, the distance between binary star systems can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other objects, tidal forces, and the evolution of the stars themselves. However, the changes in distance are usually very small and difficult to measure.

5. How is the distance between binary star systems important in understanding their evolution?

The distance between binary star systems is crucial in understanding their evolution because it affects the stars' gravitational interactions, which can shape their orbits and influence their evolution. The distance between binary star systems also plays a role in the amount of material exchange between the stars, which can impact their individual lifetimes and eventual fates.