Calculating Pencil Pendulum Angle with X/Y Coords

In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of a pencil when held by the eraser end and moved back and forth. It explores the formation of a pendulum motion and the desire to find an equation to calculate the new angle formed. One possible solution is provided, which involves considering the forces acting on the pencil in its rest frame. Another suggestion is to use the acceleration in the positive x-direction as a function to simplify the solution.
irrationalistic
I have a question that hours of internet research have not answered. I noticed that, for example, when I am holding a pencil by the eraser end and I let gravity hold it in a vertical position, when i move my hand back and forth, the tip of the pencil lags behind then forms a pendulum with that new angle. What i am looking for is, on a cartesian plane, if given the x and y coordinates of the eraser end of the pencil and the velocity at which that end is moving, if there is an equation to calculate the new angle formed.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
see when the pencil moves in a pendulum it forms a complex pendulum in yz axis and since the pencil itself moves in xy axis it follows a equation with x and y coordinates in sinusoidal function... the pencil if u consider as a whole has many points and has a single Centre of mass the motion of those points form a matrix of equations with yz coordinates and if u have time and leisure just solve those equations and get a unified solution in cartesian system which each point of ur pendulum will follow

This is one possible way of doing this:
1.Suppose you move your hand back and forth with acceleration a(t) in the positive x-direction, a known function.

2. Go into the rest frame of the eraser end.
In this frame, there's three "forces" acting upon the pencil:
a) The weight of the pencil, acting at the center of mass of the pencil
b) The force from your hand, acting on the eraser end
c) The auxiliary force, -ma(t), acting at the center of mass of the pencil

3. Take the moment with respect to the eraser head in order to eliminate the contact force b) from further consideration.

The resulting moment of momentum equation gives you the differential equation for the angular displacement.

I think, the last answer was formulated correctly, but however, you must put the acceleration a(t) in the positive x-direction like a function X=ACos(wt+Fi). In that way the solution of your problem is very simple.

Last edited:
irrationalistic said:
I have a question that hours of internet research have not answered. I noticed that, for example, when I am holding a pencil by the eraser end and I let gravity hold it in a vertical position, when i move my hand back and forth, the tip of the pencil lags behind then forms a pendulum with that new angle.
What do you mean the tip of your pencil lags behind?

What is a pencil pendulum?

A pencil pendulum is a simple scientific tool used to study the motion of pendulums. It consists of a pencil attached to a string or wire, which is then suspended from a fixed point. The pencil swings back and forth in a repeated motion, allowing for measurements to be taken.

How do I calculate the angle of a pencil pendulum using X/Y coordinates?

To calculate the angle of a pencil pendulum using X/Y coordinates, you will need to use trigonometric functions. First, measure the length of the pendulum string and the displacement of the pencil from its resting position. Then, use the inverse sine function (sin^-1) to calculate the angle: angle = sin^-1(y/x), where y is the displacement and x is the length of the string.

What is the significance of calculating the angle of a pencil pendulum?

Calculating the angle of a pencil pendulum allows for the determination of the pendulum's period, which is the time it takes for one complete swing. This can help in understanding the physics behind pendulum motion and can be used to make predictions and comparisons in other situations where pendulums are involved.

How do I ensure accurate measurements when calculating the angle of a pencil pendulum?

To ensure accurate measurements, it is important to minimize external factors that may affect the pendulum's motion. This includes reducing air resistance, using a stopwatch to measure the period, and making sure the pendulum is swinging in a straight line. It is also important to take multiple measurements and calculate the average to minimize errors.

Can the angle of a pencil pendulum be used to determine the acceleration due to gravity?

Yes, the angle of a pencil pendulum can be used to determine the acceleration due to gravity. By using the equation g = 4π^2L/ T^2, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, L is the length of the pendulum string, and T is the period, the acceleration due to gravity can be calculated. This is because the period of a pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of the length of the string and inversely proportional to the acceleration due to gravity.