Can He Gas Be Compressed into a Quark Plasma State?

In summary, according to the author, He gas has a negative Joule-Thomson coefficient, which means that it heats up when allowed to freely expand.
fargoth
ok, i have forgotten my thermodynamics, and need a confirmation for my thoughts here...if youd compress He gas by blowing more gas into a thermo-isolated tank, the tank would get hotter right?
and after compressing it enough the gas will become fluid (thats not a real phase transition, but you can't call it gas nor liquid after some density).

1) would you get a solid state after even more compression?
-my guess is no, because i can't see anything that would cause such a phase transition, i don't think the attractive powers will ever get strong enough if we started with He gas at room temprature and 1atm, as the temprature keeps rising when we compress it.

2) will there be a change of the temprature gradient as a function of pressure or will the temprature rise leniearly as a function of pressure?
-my guess is it'll rise linearly, because the work done for increasing the pressure is always the same for constant volume, but youd get less molecules inside the tank per unit pressure increase.

3) what would happen if youd compress it all enough to become "quark plasma" (like neutron star)?
- my guess is that it'll be VERY hot, it should make an explosion when it collapses like stars do, and we'll probably won't see it anymore, because light doesn't interact with it anymore.

am i right?
please regard all three guesses...

EDIT:
by the way, i kinda got carried away with this post, so the title is a bit misleading, no cooling here if I am right... so if any moderator is there, feel free to change the subject's name...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's actually some debate as to wether or not helium would be a solid at high pressure;

http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/0953-8984/16/10/L02/cm4_10_l02.html

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the reply,
so they don't know what happen's at low temprature and high pressure.
but I am not necessarily talking of low temprature, if my guesses are correct the system should be very hot...

anyway, i ran into something interesting here:
"This gas (He) has a negative Joule-Thomson coefficient at normal ambient temperatures, meaning it heats up when allowed to freely expand."

does that mean that on expansion it gets heated, and on compression it gets cold? (untill the coefficient changes its sign)?

What is cooling in high pressure?

Cooling in high pressure refers to the process of reducing the temperature of a substance or system while it is under high pressure. This can occur in various industries, such as in refrigeration systems, chemical processing, and aerospace engineering.

Why is cooling important in high pressure environments?

Cooling is important in high pressure environments because it helps to maintain the stability and functionality of the system. High levels of pressure can cause the temperature of a substance to rise significantly, which can lead to changes in its properties and potentially damage the system.

What are the different methods of cooling in high pressure?

There are several methods of cooling in high pressure environments, including direct expansion cooling, indirect cooling with heat exchangers, and liquid cooling through pumped refrigerants. The method used will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the system.

What challenges are involved in cooling in high pressure?

Cooling in high pressure environments can be challenging due to the potential for extreme temperatures and pressures, which can require specialized equipment and materials. There may also be safety concerns and the need for precise control and monitoring of the cooling process.

How does cooling in high pressure impact energy consumption?

Cooling in high pressure can have a significant impact on energy consumption, as it often requires the use of energy-intensive processes and equipment. However, advancements in technology have led to more efficient cooling methods, reducing the overall energy consumption in high pressure environments.