Calculating Intensity at a Point in a Diffraction Pattern

In summary, if you want to calculate the intensity at a point on a screen 4.1 mm from the center of the principal maximum, you should use the equation I = I_0 {sin^2( {\pi a sin( \theta) \over \lambda}) \over ({\pi a sin(\theta) \over \lambda})^2}
prolong199
I have the follwoing question for prep for a lab, i have tried to work out the answer but i am struck with trying to work out the intensity at a certain point, in this case 4.1mm from the central maximum. I have tried using trig to calculate the angle to the point using trig then using
I=I(sin(angle/2)/(angle/2) all squared. Am i on the right track?

"..A diffraction pattern is formed on a screen 120 cm away from a 0.4 mm wide slit. Monochromatic light of 546.1 nm is used. Calculate the fractional intensity, I/I0 at a point on the screen 4.1 mm from the centre of the principal maximum..."

could some please point me in the right direction, thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
prolong199 said:
I have the follwoing question for prep for a lab, i have tried to work out the answer but i am struck with trying to work out the intensity at a certain point, in this case 4.1mm from the central maximum.

"..A diffraction pattern is formed on a screen 120 cm away from a 0.4 mm wide slit. Monochromatic light of 546.1 nm is used. Calculate the fractional intensity, I/I0 at a point on the screen 4.1 mm from the centre of the principal maximum..."

could some please point me in the right direction, thanks
Welcome to the forums.

This is just a matter of plugging in the numbers in an equation. The equation contains a sine squared over a certain quantity squared. Do you know this formula?

sorry i forgot to add it in the first place, yes i think it is the one is added to my question?

prolong199 said:
sorry i forgot to add it in the first place, yes i think it is the one is added to my question?
well, it depends what you mean by ''angle over 2''. What is the expression for your angle?
The angle over 2 should be equal to [itex]{\pi a y \over L \lambda}[/itex]

I worked out that the angle is 0.191 degrees, substituting into the equation i get 0.0175*I, do i then multiply by 546.1nm?, I am confused about the Io

prolong199 said:
I worked out that the angle is 0.191 degrees, substituting into the equation i get 0.0175*I, do i then multiply by 546.1nm?, I am confused about the Io
Your equation was incorrect. It should not be sin^2(angle/2)/(angle/2)^2...(this equation is the right one if by ''angle'' you mean the *phase difference* between the two waves but that is not what you are doing here).

I gave you a formula that would not require to calculate the angle, but if you want to, then use the formula

[tex] I = I_0 {sin^2( {\pi a sin( \theta) \over \lambda}) \over ({\pi a sin(\theta) \over \lambda})^2 [/tex]

where theta is the angle you just calculated.
A word of caution: you should put everything in radians and make sure your calculator is in radians mode when you use this formula.

Since you want the ratio I/I_0, you just need to calculate the right side of the equation and divide by I_0 so it will disappear from your result.

I used trig to work out the angle from the source to the point 4.1mm from the maximum. I then used this angle in the equation.

prolong199 said:
I used trig to work out the angle from the source to the point 4.1mm from the maximum. I then used this angle in the equation.
That's perfectly fine. But when y is much smaller than the distance to the wall, you can also use an equation in terms of y directly. Just replace the [itex] sin(\theta)[/itex] in the equation I gave before by y/L.

In any case, if you use the expression I gave in my previous post you should get the answer you are looking for.

1. What is the difference between interference and diffraction?

Interference and diffraction are both phenomena that occur when waves interact with each other or with obstacles. However, interference specifically refers to the amplification or cancellation of waves when they overlap, while diffraction refers to the bending or spreading out of waves as they encounter obstacles.

2. How are interference and diffraction related to each other?

Interference and diffraction are both manifestations of the fundamental wave properties of superposition and wave interference. In both cases, the resulting wave pattern is a combination of multiple individual waves interacting with each other.

3. What is the significance of interference and diffraction in everyday life?

Interference and diffraction play important roles in various technologies, such as radio communication, medical imaging, and optical devices. They also help explain natural phenomena, such as the colors seen in soap bubbles and the patterns of light and dark bands in a double-slit experiment.

4. Can interference and diffraction occur with all types of waves?

Yes, interference and diffraction can occur with all types of waves, including sound waves, light waves, and water waves. However, the extent and characteristics of the interference or diffraction pattern may vary depending on the properties of the specific wave.

5. How do we use interference and diffraction to study and understand the properties of waves?

Interference and diffraction experiments are commonly used in the field of optics to determine the wavelength of light or the properties of different materials. They also provide evidence for the wave nature of light and help us understand the principles of wave behavior in general.