What is the force exerted by water in a container?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving force due to pressure in an open U shaped container filled with water. The equation to use is Force = (density)*(gravity)*(height)*(Area), but the incorrect answer may be due to not accounting for atmospheric pressure. By adding atmospheric pressure to the pressure of the water and multiplying by the area, the correct force can be calculated.
DarkWarrior
Hello everyone, newbie here.. sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

We just went over fluids today. And I can’t seem to solve a problem that has to do with force due to pressure. The problem is: An open U shaped container is filled with water to the top. What is the force due to the water on side A?

Now pressure = (density)*(gravity)*(height) I believe.
Force is pressure*area. Since side A is a square, that’s simply length squared for area.

So I believe the equation to use in this case is Force = (density)*(gravity)*(height)*(Area).

But for some reason, I keep getting the wrong answer. Here’s a badly drawn picture of the container. Can anyone give me some pointers?

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/9338/untitled5vd.th.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since it's an open container, don't forget to include the effect of atmospheric pressure. Otherwise, your thinking is correct (assuming you use the correct height).

Looks ok to me, Maybe you should check your units.

Thank you for the help! Turns out it was atmospheric pressure. You have to add it to the pressure of the water and then multiply by area to get force.

I should read more carefully. :)

1. What is the force of water in a container?

The force of water in a container is the amount of pressure exerted by the water on the walls of the container. This force is caused by the weight of the water and is measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m2).

2. How is the force of water in a container calculated?

The force of water in a container can be calculated by multiplying the density of water (usually 1000 kg/m3) by the volume of water in the container, and then multiplying by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2). This will give you the force in newtons (N).

3. Does the shape of the container affect the force of water inside?

Yes, the shape of the container can affect the force of water inside. For example, a tall and narrow container will have a higher force of water at the bottom compared to a short and wide container, due to the difference in water pressure at different depths.

4. What happens to the force of water in a container when the water level changes?

The force of water in a container will increase as the water level rises and decrease as the water level lowers. This is because the weight of the water increases with a higher water level, resulting in a greater force. Similarly, a lower water level will result in a lower force.

5. How does the force of water in a container affect the container itself?

The force of water in a container can cause stress on the walls of the container, especially if the container is not designed to withstand high pressures. This can lead to deformation or even rupture of the container if the force becomes too great. It is important to consider the force of water when designing and using containers to prevent potential damage.