Electromagnetic induction-help with a problem

In summary, the metal rod in a magnetic field experiences an induced potential difference between the ends.
endeavor
"A metal rod 20 cm long moves in a straight line at a speed of 4.0 m/s with its length parallel to a uniform magnetic field of 1.2 T. Find the resulting potential difference between the ends of the rod."

I don't know how to solve this...

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you learn the induced potential equation? (Blv)
also, I'm not sure that I understand the case, the length of the rod is moving through the field and the field is going from one end of the rod to the other? In that case there would be no induction, for there to be induction there has to be a field that makes a right angle with the length of the rod.

I mainly learned about loops of wire, not rods...what exactly is a rod? I thought that it's a cylinder...

Oh, is this referring to the metal rod that moves on a metal frame so that the area inside the loop of the frame changes? My book has one example of that, and the equation is emf = -BLv.

If that's the case, then since the flux doesn't change because the field is parallel, then the induced emf is 0.

endeavor said:
I mainly learned about loops of wire, not rods...what exactly is a rod? I thought that it's a cylinder...

Oh, is this referring to the metal rod that moves on a metal frame so that the area inside the loop of the frame changes? My book has one example of that, and the equation is emf = -BLv.

If that's the case, then since the flux doesn't change because the field is parallel, then the induced emf is 0.
A rod is basically a thin cylinder, that is a cylinder with a length but no radius. This page may be useful for you... http://www.iop.org/Our_Activities/Schools_and_Colleges/Teaching_Resources/Teaching%20Advanced%20Physics/Fields/Electromagnetism/page_4817.html
Your equation is correct by the way but your conclusions are not :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hootenanny said:
Your equation is correct by the way but your conclusions are not :smile:
I found out that the answer is 0... but since my conclusions are wrong, I don't know how this answer has been derived. :confused:

endeavor said:
I found out that the answer is 0... but since my conclusions are wrong, I don't know how this answer has been derived. :confused:
Ahh my apologies, your conclusion is correct I didn't see the 'parallel' bit :blushing:

Hootenanny said:
Ahh my apologies, your conclusion is correct I didn't see the 'parallel' bit :blushing:
Oh Okay, thanks for the help anyway.

1. How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current by changing the magnetic field around a conductor. When a conductor, such as a wire, is moved through a magnetic field or when the magnetic field around a conductor changes, it induces a current to flow through the conductor. This is due to the movement of electrons within the conductor, creating an electric current.

2. What is Faraday's law of induction?

Faraday's law of induction states that the magnitude of the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed circuit is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit. In simpler terms, the greater the change in magnetic field, the greater the induced current.

3. How is electromagnetic induction used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic induction has many practical applications in everyday life. One common use is in power generation, where electromagnetic induction is used to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. This principle is also used in devices such as transformers, motors, and generators.

4. What factors affect the strength of the induced current?

The strength of the induced current depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the conductor moves through the field, and the angle between the conductor and the magnetic field. A larger magnetic field and a faster speed will result in a stronger induced current.

5. How can I calculate the induced current in a conductor using electromagnetic induction?

The induced current can be calculated using the formula:EMF = -N(dΦ/dt)Where EMF is the induced electromotive force, N is the number of turns in the conductor, and (dΦ/dt) is the rate of change of magnetic flux. This formula is known as Faraday's law and is used to calculate the induced current in a conductor.