I'm having major problems with Landau and Lifshitz Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of understanding mechanics due to the highly mathematical nature of the recommended textbook, Landau and Lifshitz. The speaker is seeking recommendations for alternative textbooks that cover similar material with less general equations. A suggestion is made to use an undergraduate text as a backup, and the speaker recommends the textbook "University Physics" by Young and Freedman as it offers clear explanations and proofs for all concepts.
nolanp2
i'm having major problems with mecanics because the recomended textbook mechanics by landau and lif****z is far too mathematical. can anyone recommend a book which covers similar material with less general equations etc? I'm willing to lower myself to using engineering books!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you need an undergrad text as a backup. See this thread.

Actually I like Marion, Classical Dynamics. Get a hold of the 2nd edition, people report it's better than the new edition.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Landau and Lifshitz Mechanics?

Landau and Lifshitz Mechanics is a comprehensive textbook on classical mechanics written by physicists Lev Landau and Evgeny Lifshitz. It covers a wide range of topics in classical mechanics, including Newtonian mechanics, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, and rigid body dynamics.

Why do people have major problems with Landau and Lifshitz Mechanics?

Landau and Lifshitz Mechanics is known for its challenging and rigorous approach to classical mechanics. It is often used as a textbook in advanced undergraduate and graduate level courses, so the material can be difficult for those without a strong background in physics or mathematics.

How can I overcome difficulties with Landau and Lifshitz Mechanics?

To successfully navigate Landau and Lifshitz Mechanics, it is recommended to have a solid understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and basic physics concepts. It may also be helpful to supplement the textbook with other resources, such as lecture notes or problem sets from other textbooks.

Is Landau and Lifshitz Mechanics still relevant today?

Despite being first published in 1960, Landau and Lifshitz Mechanics is still widely used and considered a classic in the field of classical mechanics. Its rigorous approach and thorough coverage of topics make it a valuable resource for students and researchers in physics.

Are there any alternative textbooks to Landau and Lifshitz Mechanics?

Yes, there are many alternative textbooks on classical mechanics, each with their own unique approach and level of difficulty. Some popular alternatives include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor and "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin.