Circuit Analysis: Finding Current, Charge, and Voltage with a Flash Unit

• Thread starter ~christina~
  • Start date
In summary, a photographer's electronic flash unit consists of a 150.0-kΩ resistor in series with a 22-µF capacitor and a 12.0 V source of emf. The flashbulb is placed in parallel with the capacitor so that when a sufficient charge is stored on the capacitor switch S2 can be closed and the capacitor quickly discharges through the small resistance of the bulb, causing the flash. In order to determine the behavior of the circuit, questions were posed about the current, charge, and voltage for specific times. It was determined that the time it takes for the current to decrease to half its initial value is 2.287 seconds, the charge on the capacitor
~christina~
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A photographer's electronic flash unit consists of a 150.0-kΩ resistor in series with a 22-µF capacitor and a 12.0 V source of emf. The flashbulb is placed in parallel with the capacitor so that when a sufficient charge is stored on the capacitor switch S2 can be closed and the capacitor quickly discharges through the small resistance of the bulb, causing the flash. Suppose switch S2 remains open and at t = 0 s switch Sl is closed.

(a) At what time after the capacitor begins to charge has the current decreased to one-half its initial value?

(b) What is the charge on the capacitor at this time?

(c) What is the voltage across the capacitor at this time?

(d) Sketch graphs of the current through this circuit and the charge on the capacitor as functions of time (two graphs

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/695/picture6ni5.th.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau= RC [/tex]

[tex]I_i= \frac{\epsilon} {R} [/tex]
[tex]I(t)= \frac{\epsilon} {R} e^{\frac {-t} {RC}} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) At what time after the capacitor begins to charge has the current decreased to one-half its initial value?

[tex]\tau= RC= (22x10^{-6} F)(1.50x10^5 \omega )= 3.3s [/tex]

max current: [tex]I_i= \frac{\epsilon} {R} = 12.0V/ 1.50x10^5 \omega= 8x10^{-5} A[/tex]

current as a function of time: [tex]I(t)= \frac{\epsilon} {R} e^{\frac {-t} {RC}} [/tex]

half of the total current: [tex]4x10^{-5}A [/tex]

I think I would find the time this way but I'm not sure if it is right.
time it takes for the current to half
[tex]I(t)= (8x10^-5A)\frac e^{\frac {-t} {3.3s}} [/tex]
[tex]0.5A= \frac e^{\frac {-t} {3.3s}} [/tex]
[tex]ln 0.5A= \frac{-t} {3.3s}} [/tex]
[tex]t= 2.287s[/tex]

(b) What is the charge on the capacitor at this time?

[tex]q(t)= C \epsilon (1-e^{-\frac{t} {RC}}) [/tex]
[tex]C \epsilon = (22x10^{-6}F)(12.0V)= 2.64x10^{-4}C[/tex]
[tex]q(t)= (2.64x10^{-4}C)(1-e^{-\frac{2.287s} {3.3s}}) [/tex]
[tex]q(t)= (2.64 x10^ {-4}C)(0.499941)=1.319844x10^{-4}C [/tex]

(c) What is the voltage across the capacitor at this time?

Not sure how to find this..

(d) Sketch graphs of the current through this circuit and the charge on the capacitor as functions of time (two graphs

wouldn't this look the typical graph of

charge vs time (exponential curve going up)=> |/|
current vs time (exponential curve going down)=> |\|

I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out with part c and also checking whether I did the other parts correctly.

Thanks a lot :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
part a. the method and the result is Ok. 0.5 shouldn't have a u unit of amperes as this is a dimensionless number.

part b. Ok. A shorter method would be to notice that since the current is now half the initial current, half of the voltage of the voltage source is the drop across the resitor.

part c. you already gave q(t) in part b. Q = CV

part d. you already computed I(t) and Q(t)

kamerling said:
part a. the method and the result is Ok. 0.5 shouldn't have a u unit of amperes as this is a dimensionless number.
ok

part b. Ok. A shorter method would be to notice that since the current is now half the initial current, half of the voltage of the voltage source is the drop across the resitor.

yep, didn't notice that until you mentioned it.

part c. you already gave q(t) in part b. Q = CV
oh...so I'd just find the voltage by using the charge I found for the specific time.

part d. you already computed I(t) and Q(t)

okay.

Thanks for your help kamerling :smile:

ya thanks

1. What is a circuit-check and help?

A circuit-check and help refers to the process of examining an electrical circuit to ensure that it is functioning properly and troubleshooting any issues that may arise.

2. Why is circuit-check and help important?

A circuit-check and help is important because it ensures that the electrical circuit is safe and operating efficiently. It can also prevent potential hazards and damage to the circuit or other connected devices.

3. How do I perform a circuit-check and help?

To perform a circuit-check and help, you will need to have a basic understanding of electrical circuits and proper safety measures. You will also need a multimeter to measure voltage, current, and resistance. Follow the steps outlined in the circuit's manual or consult a professional for assistance.

4. What are common issues that can be identified during a circuit-check and help?

Common issues that can be identified during a circuit-check and help include loose or damaged connections, faulty components, short circuits, and overloading of the circuit.

5. Can I perform a circuit-check and help on my own?

It is possible to perform a circuit-check and help on your own, but it is recommended to consult a professional if you are not familiar with electrical circuits. This will ensure that the circuit is checked accurately and safely.