Prove: Sum of angles > 180 in curved space

In summary, if you have a positively curved space (i.e. a sphere) and you draw a triangle on it, the sum of the angles of the triangle exceed 180 degrees.
Niles
[SOLVED] Prove: Sum of angles > 180 in curved space

Homework Statement

If I have a positively curved space (i.e. a sphere) and I draw a triangle on it, the sum of the angles of the triangle exceed [tex]\pi[/tex], more precisely,

v1 + v2 + v3 = pi + A/R^2

where v1, v2 and v3 are the angles of the triangle, A is the area of the triangle and R is the radius of the sphere.

This is what I have to prove.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, first I setup the "environment". I will look at a triangle with equal long sides with one corner at the north-pole. What would be the next step from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
We are told to verify the angle-relations using a triangle with equally long sides and the other two angles lying on the equator; sorry, I should have written that in post #0.

I really appreciate the links, and I know the identity:

[tex]
ds^2\,=\,dr^2\,+\,R^2 \sin ^2 (r/R)d\theta ^2,
[/tex]
where R is the radius of the sphere and (r, theta) is a point on the sphere (r is the distance from the northpole).

If I stand at the vertex situated at the northpole, then I can write the above identity as

[tex]
ds^2\,=\,R^2 \sin ^2 (r/R)d\theta ^2,
[/tex]

where r = ½*Pi*R, since the side is one quarter of the circumference. Then I integrate, and I get that one side equals 2*Pi*R^2*sin(Pi/2). I have three of those, and since they are equally long, I can multiply by 3 to get the total circumference of my triangle.

The law of sine apparently works as usual (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_trigonometry) on the triangle, so I get that the angles must equal each other.

How am I doing so far?

Last edited:
I don't know why, but I'm not able to edit my last post. There is an error: The side equals Pi*R/2.

Okay, so you don't need to prove the statement, just verify it in that simple case.

Okay, take two points on the equator and the third point as the north pole. It is obvious that the two angles on the equator will be right angles so the angle sum is 180+ [itex]\theta[/itex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle at the north pole. It's easy to calculate that the triangle takes up [itex]\theta/(4\pi)[/itex] of the entire sphere ([itex]\theta[/itex] is measured in radians). Since the surface area of the entire sphere is [itex]4\pi R^2[/itex], the area of the triangle is [itex]A= \theta R^2[/itex]. Solve that for [itex]\theta[/itex] and you are done.

1. What is curved space and how does it affect the sum of angles?

Curved space refers to the concept of space being curved or bent due to the presence of massive objects. In curved space, the shortest distance between two points is not a straight line, but a curved path. This curvature affects the sum of angles in that the angles of a triangle formed on a curved surface will add up to more than 180 degrees.

2. How is the sum of angles > 180 proven in curved space?

This can be proven mathematically using the principles of differential geometry. The Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, is no longer valid in curved space. Therefore, the sum of angles in a triangle on a curved surface will be greater than 180 degrees.

3. Are there any real-life examples of curved space affecting the sum of angles?

Yes, one example is the surface of the Earth. Due to its curvature, the sum of angles in a triangle drawn on the surface of the Earth will be greater than 180 degrees. This can be observed in the measurements and calculations used in mapping and navigation.

4. How does this concept relate to Einstein's theory of general relativity?

Einstein's theory of general relativity describes the relationship between gravity and the curvature of space and time. In this theory, massive objects cause a curvature in space, which affects the path of light and other objects. Therefore, the concept of curved space is essential in understanding and applying general relativity.

5. Can the sum of angles > 180 in curved space be visualized?

Yes, there are various visualizations and simulations that demonstrate the concept of curved space and the effect it has on the sum of angles. These can be found online or in textbooks on differential geometry and general relativity.