Prove f(x)=g(x) - Essentials of Calculus p.45, Problem 11

• Thread starter razored
  • Start date
In summary, the author of this not homework self-study book does not know where to begin to prove that this is from the "Essentials Calculus" page 45, problem # 11. He suggests splitting g(x) into the three cases that define f(x). For x>=0, g(x)=|x|=x[/tex]. For x<0, g(x)=|x|=-x[/tex]. In both cases, g(x)=f(x).
razored
This not homework(self-study book). I do not know where to begin to prove this. This is from "Essentials Calculus" page 45, problem # 11

[tex]f(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{rcl}{-1} & \mbox{if}& -\infty < x < -1, \\ x & \mbox{if} & -1\leq x\leq1, \\1 & \mbox{if} & 1 < x <\infty ,\end{array}\right[/tex]
[tex]g(x) = \frac {1} {2} |x+1 | - \frac {1}{2}|x-1|[/tex]
Prove that [tex]f(x)\equiv g(x)[/tex]

Latex is awesome :biggrin: First time using it here!

Physics news on Phys.org
where's your attempt at the proof?

But consider what g(x) is for the conditions for f(x)

Glad you like latex. But, yes, as rock.freak667 points out, split into the three cases that define f.

rock.freak667 said:
where's your attempt at the proof?

But consider what g(x) is for the conditions for f(x)

Dick said:
Glad you like latex. But, yes, as rock.freak667 points out, split into the three cases that define f.

I don't understand ... "split into the three cases that define f." the cases are listed.

I have no idea where to begin to prove this; a profound explanation would be helpful.

He means split g(x) into the three cases that define f(x). You must show that when x < -1, g(x) = -1, when -1 < x < 1, g(x) = x, and when x > 1, g(x) = 1.

Consider this simpler problem:

[tex]f(x) = \begin{cases}-x & \text{if}\ x < 0 \\ \phantom{-}x & \text{if}\ x>=0 \end{cases}[/tex]

[tex]g(x) = |x|[/tex]

For [itex]x>=0[/itex], [itex]g(x)=|x|=x[/tex]. For [itex]x<0[/itex], [itex]g(x)=|x|=-x[/tex]. In both cases, [itex]g(x)=f(x)[/itex]. The functions are identical for all x.

You can do the same thing with your [itex]f(x)[/itex] and [itex]g(x)[/itex]. In particular, what does [itex]g(x)[/itex] evaluate to in each of the three regions?

If you want to see how to write it formally out you would do something like:
Case 1: Suppose x < -1 then g(x) = ... = f(x)
Case 2: Suppose x > 1 then g(x) = ... = f(x)
Case 3: Suppose -1<=x<=1 then g(x) = ... = f(x)

Two functions f,g are equal in an interval I if f(x)=g(x) for every x in I. (In your case your interval is all real #'s.)

Ok. Figured it out, thanks!

1. How do you prove that f(x) and g(x) are equal?

To prove that f(x) and g(x) are equal, we need to show that f(x) and g(x) have the same output for every input. This means that for every value of x, f(x) = g(x). We can do this by using algebraic manipulations or by using the properties of limits.

2. What is the difference between proving f(x)=g(x) and proving f(x)=0?

Proving f(x)=g(x) means showing that two functions are equal, while proving f(x)=0 means showing that a function has a zero output for every input. While proving f(x)=g(x) requires showing that the two functions have the same output for every input, proving f(x)=0 requires showing that the function has a specific output for every input, namely, 0.

3. Can you prove f(x)=g(x) without using limits?

Yes, it is possible to prove f(x)=g(x) without using limits. This can be done by using algebraic manipulations and properties of functions. However, using limits can often provide a more elegant and concise proof.

4. What is the significance of proving f(x)=g(x)?

Proving f(x)=g(x) is significant because it allows us to show that two seemingly different functions are actually equivalent. This can help simplify calculations and make understanding and solving problems easier.

5. How can I check my proof of f(x)=g(x)?

One way to check your proof of f(x)=g(x) is to plug in different values of x and check if the outputs of f(x) and g(x) are the same. You can also ask a colleague or teacher to review your proof and provide feedback. Additionally, you can compare your proof to other known proofs of f(x)=g(x) to see if they follow a similar logic and reasoning.