Mech. Eng. Books (recommendations sought)

• Thread starter EsoEng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, for good, easy to understand mechanical engineering books in SI units, I recommend the following: Thermodynamics An Engineering Approach by Yunus A Cengel & Michael A Boles, Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics by M J Moran & H N Shapiro, Fluid Mechanics by Frank M White, Fluid Mechanics by Pijush K Kundu and Ira M Cohen, Mechanics of Materials by Ferdinand P Beer, Russell Johnston, and Vector Mechanics For Engineers: Statics & dynamics by Beer & Johnston. These books cover the basics well and have good problem sets. For electric motors, I recommend looking into specific textbooks on that topic.
EsoEng
I am seeking recommendations for good, easy to understand mechanical engineering books in SI units for the following topics:

Fluid mechanics
Hydraulics
Kinematics
Thermodynamics
Material properties
Statics / solid mechanics
Dynamics
Structural design
General mechanics / applied physics

I am a second year mechanical engineering student, but I still feel that I do not yet have a firm enough grasp of the basics of this subject.

I also seek good teaching books on the following extra topics:

Mathematics (I am not keen on Engineering Mathematics, by K. A. Stroud)
Electronics / electrical principles
Boiler design
Micro turbine design (for electricity generation)

I am also interested in boats and naval architecture, and would appreciate recommendations for related books, particularly in the areas of:

Sail boat design (including a thorough explanation of factors pertaining to rigging design / rigging types)
Submarine design (for small conventional vessels covering the fundamental aspects of design)
Catamaran design
Trimaran design
Powered boat design
Hydrofoil design
SWATH design (single waterplane area twin hull)
General boat design / naval architecture for small boats (<100’)

I seek books that can teach me the fundamentals of these topics and leave me with a clear understanding of them. I often need to look at several books on a certain topic in order to gain any sort of reasonable picture of what it is I which to learn. I realize that some books work for some students but not for others. However, asking for recommendations here, I think, is a good place to start my quest (rather than boosting Amazon’s share price and getting into debt!).

Another thing I am looking for in these books are written, clear, and concise explanations to compliment the mathematics; all too often books seek to explain things using numbers alone, and with no written explanation as to what is going on. I am also a fan of diagrams and illustrations.

Thank you for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
THERMODYNAMICS:

Thermodynamics An Engineering Approach by Yunus A Cengel & Michael A Boles
Fundamentals f Engineering Thermodynamics by M J Moran & H N Shapiro

FLUID MECHANICS:

Fluid Mechanics by Frank M White
for advanced fluid mechanics:
Fluid Mechanics by Pijush K Kundu and Ira M Cohen

MECHANICS of MATERIALS:

Mechanics of Materials by Ferdinand P Beer, Russell Johnston

STATICS & DYNAMICS:

Vector Mechanics For Engineers: Statics & dynamics by Beer & Johnston

Thank you.

I second these:

Fundamentals f Engineering Thermodynamics by M J Moran & H N Shapiro

Fluid Mechanics by Frank M White

Mechanics of Materials by Ferdinand P Beer, Russell Johnston

Vector Mechanics For Engineers: Statics & dynamics by Beer & Johnston

I've read all of them and they all cover the basic material and do it well. They also have good problem sets that actually test you on the material and not asinine tricks.

Thanks also, Topher.

I actually missed a topic from my original list:

Electric motors (fundamentals, how to select the correct motor for an application, motor controllers, installation and supporting components, etc.)

1. What are the top Mech. Eng. books recommended for beginners?

Some top recommended books for beginners in mechanical engineering include "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Michael J. Moran, "Mechanics of Materials" by James M. Gere and Barry J. Goodno, and "Engineering Mechanics: Statics and Dynamics" by Russell C. Hibbeler.

2. Are there any books specifically geared towards understanding the principles of design in mechanical engineering?

Yes, some books that focus on the principles of design in mechanical engineering include "Mechanical Design" by Peter R. N. Childs, "Machine Design" by Robert L. Norton, and "Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design" by Richard G. Budynas and Keith J. Nisbett.

3. What are some recommended Mech. Eng. books for those looking to specialize in robotics?

For those interested in robotics, some recommended books include "Introduction to Robotics: Mechanics and Control" by John J. Craig, "Robot Modeling and Control" by Mark W. Spong, Seth Hutchinson, and M. Vidyasagar, and "Mechatronics: Electronic Control Systems in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering" by W. Bolton.

4. Are there any books that cover both theoretical and practical aspects of mechanical engineering?

Yes, some books that cover both theoretical and practical aspects include "Mechanical Engineering Design" by Joseph Edward Shigley and Charles R. Mischke, "The Science and Engineering of Materials" by Donald R. Askeland and Pradeep P. Fulay, and "Mechanics of Machines" by William L. Cleghorn.

5. What are some highly recommended reference books for professionals in the field of mechanical engineering?

Some highly recommended reference books for professionals in mechanical engineering include "Marks' Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers" by Eugene A. Avallone and Theodore Baumeister III, "Mechanical Engineer's Reference Book" by E.H. Smith, "Handbook of Mechanical Engineering" by Frank Kreith and D. Yogi Goswami, and "Engineering Materials Pocket Book" by W. Bolton.