LISP for Recursive Math Problems: Choosing Between Common Lisp and Scheme

• Thread starter qntty
  • Start date
In summary, Scheme and Lisp are both good options for solving recursive math problems, with Scheme being a more natural choice for functional programming techniques compared to Python. Other languages like Common Lisp may also be suitable, but it is important to avoid using CAS languages like Maple or Mathematica.
qntty
I need a programming language primarily to solve tedious, recursive math problems. I've heard that lisp is good for this but don't know whether to go with common lisp or scheme. If there are any other languages that you think will do this better I'd like to hear of those too (I'd prefer not to use a CAS language like maple or mathematica).

Technology news on Phys.org

Python.

If I am not mistaken, Python does not optimize away tail-call recursion - it will simply put every instance of the function on the stack, eventually leading to an overflow. Scheme does this by design. Scheme and Lisp are much more natural for functional programming techniques than Python.

I suggest Scheme.

1. What is a LISP recursive math problem?

A LISP recursive math problem is a mathematical problem that is solved using the LISP programming language. It involves breaking down a larger problem into smaller subproblems, and solving them using recursive functions.

2. How is recursion used in LISP to solve math problems?

In LISP, recursion is used to break down a larger problem into smaller subproblems, which are then solved using recursive functions. These smaller solutions are then combined to solve the overall problem.

3. Can you provide an example of a LISP recursive math problem?

One example of a LISP recursive math problem is finding the factorial of a number. The factorial of a number is the product of all positive integers less than or equal to that number. For example, the factorial of 5 (written as 5!) is 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120. This can be solved using a recursive function in LISP.

4. What are the advantages of using LISP for recursive math problems?

LISP is a functional programming language, which means it treats computational processes as mathematical functions. This makes it well-suited for solving recursive math problems, as it allows for easy manipulation of functions and data structures.

5. Are there any limitations to using LISP for recursive math problems?

While LISP is a powerful language for solving recursive math problems, it may not be the most efficient or practical option for all types of problems. It is important to understand the problem and the capabilities of LISP before deciding to use it for a specific task.