Optimizing O-Ring Groove Dimensions for Seals: Tips and Considerations

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to find dimensions for O ring grooves for different sizes and types of sealing. The suggestion is made to check Parker.com's literature section for a comprehensive O ring guide. It is also recommended to consider dove-tail O-ring grooves and to use Dow Vacuum Grease for vacuum applications.
Davieslad
Hi,

I need to find the dimensions for O ring grooves for different size o rings, for static, dynamic and face sealing. Does anyone have a web link for these for BS and/or ISO metric dimensions. All the ones i can find are subscription ones.

Many thanks

Ed

Engineering news on Phys.org
Parker seals have an excellent O ring guide with their catalogue
Go to parker.com -> literature -> o rings (it's a Javascript thing you can't link to)

For special/very large o rings they make to order so call them about availability before you start designing the massive vacuum chamber.

That is bloody marvellous! Its about 100 time better than i need, and i never would have found it by myself! Thank you very much!
Ed

When you get seals that are hard to get to make sure to consider dove-tail O-ring grooves. I did this on a piston valve and it does wonders. Also, for vacuum applications, make sure that the seating surfaces are nicely polished. Mainly scratches across the groove are bad. Also use Dow Vacuum Grease.

What are O ring groove dimensions?

O ring groove dimensions refer to the specific measurements and specifications of the grooves or channels in which O rings are placed. These dimensions are crucial in ensuring the proper fit and functioning of the O ring in a specific application.

Why are O ring groove dimensions important?

The correct O ring groove dimensions are important because they directly affect the seal's effectiveness and longevity. If the dimensions are incorrect, it can lead to leakage, premature wear, and failure of the O ring.

What factors determine the O ring groove dimensions?

The O ring groove dimensions are determined by the size and shape of the O ring, the material being sealed, the pressure and temperature of the application, and the type of seal desired.

How do I know which O ring groove dimensions to use?

The best way to determine the correct O ring groove dimensions is to consult with a reliable O ring supplier or use an online calculator specifically designed for calculating O ring groove dimensions. It is essential to consider all of the factors mentioned above to ensure the proper fit.

Can I modify the O ring groove dimensions to fit a specific application?

Modifying the O ring groove dimensions is not recommended as it can significantly affect the performance and longevity of the seal. It is always best to use the recommended O ring groove dimensions for a specific application. If necessary, consult with a supplier to find a different O ring size or material that will fit the existing groove dimensions.