Solidworks Mating Arrangements

• Thread starter Davieslad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    solidworks
In summary, the user is having trouble getting the slipper pads on the pistons to mate to the variable angle swashplate. They are using flexible subassemblies, but the problem is that the slipper pads won't rotate freely on their ball joint when the piston assembly is put into the whole pump assembly.
Davieslad
Hi,

Im designing an axial piston pump in solidworks, prior to analysis.

Basically I am having difficulty in getting the slipper pads from the top of the pistons to mate to the swashplate, so that when rotated the pump produces a pumping action.

I have the slipper pads connected to the pistons via ball joints, and in the piston assembley, the slipper pads rotate freely on the ball joint (i have used the ball head and a ball slot as the mating surfaces). However when i put the piston assembley into the whole pump assembley (with the piston assembley mated concentrically in the bore) the slipper pad no longer rotates freely on its ball joint, and as such i can't mate them to the variable angle swashplate.

Can anyone suggest a different mating arrangement which might help my problem?

Many Thanks

Ed

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok, I've sorted the initial problem, however no it won't let me adjust the angle of the swashplate. Anyone have any ideas?
Cheers
Ed

It's hard for me to visualize your problem. You would have more luck finding people who are familiar ith the terminology of your problem AND Solidworks, in the SW users forums. Have you tried there?

A picture of the assembly would help a lot.

I also have trouble visualizing what you're saying, but the trouble sounds like you're mixing mates from subassemblies with mates from higher assemblies. Are you using flexible subassemblies?

I have now sorted it out - it didnt like the sub assemblys being imported into the main assembly, and as such wouldn't mate as i required. I have also since discovered that for some reason i needed to arrange the mates in a very precise order - there all mated in now and looking tidy - only problem now is I am running pretty low on RAM.. but that's not an issue... its an excuse to go and buy more ram...

Thanks for all your help

Ed

1. What is Solidworks Mating Arrangements?

Solidworks Mating Arrangements is a feature in the Solidworks software that allows users to create connections between different parts or components of a design. It helps to simulate the real-world behavior of the design and ensures proper fit and functionality.

2. How do I use Solidworks Mating Arrangements?

To use Solidworks Mating Arrangements, you can select the two parts you want to mate and then choose the type of mate you want to create, such as coincident, concentric, or tangent. You can also use the Mate Manager tool to review and edit mates in your design.

3. What types of mates are available in Solidworks?

There are several types of mates available in Solidworks, including coincident, concentric, parallel, perpendicular, tangent, and distance mates. Each type of mate has a different function and can be used to create different types of connections between parts.

4. Can I edit or change mates in my Solidworks design?

Yes, you can edit or change mates in your Solidworks design at any time. You can do this by selecting the mate in the Mate Manager and making the desired changes. You can also use the Mate Controller tool to dynamically change the position and orientation of mated parts.

5. What are the benefits of using Solidworks Mating Arrangements?

The benefits of using Solidworks Mating Arrangements include ensuring proper fit and functionality of your design, saving time by simulating real-world behavior before production, and easily making changes or adjustments to your mated parts. It also allows for collaboration with other team members and can improve the overall quality of the design.