Write this Equation using Mathematica

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of writing an equation using Mathematica and the use of the HypergeometricU function. The conversation then shifts to finding the general rule for a sequence, with one person stating that it is not possible to do so in general. Another person mentions the function FindSequenceFunction, but notes that it may not always provide the correct solution.
EngWiPy
Hello everyone,

I have the following equation, and I want to write it using mathematica:

attachment.php?attachmentid=19507&stc=1&d=1246303265.jpg

where:
attachment.php?attachmentid=19506&stc=1&d=1246303265.jpg

and:
attachment.php?attachmentid=19505&stc=1&d=1246303265.jpg

Where [tex]\Psi[/tex] is the tricomi's confluent hypergeometric function, built-in Mathimatica as HypergeometricU[ , , ].
Can anyone help me, please?
Thanks in advance
Best regards

Attachments

• Eq 1.JPG
    Eq 1.JPG
    2.6 KB · Views: 871
  • Eq 2.JPG
    Eq 2.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 694
  • Eq 3.JPG
    Eq 3.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 649
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand. What exactly is the difficulty? It seems straightforward, especially since you already know HypergeometricU.

DaleSpam said:
I don't understand. What exactly is the difficulty? It seems straightforward, especially since you already know HypergeometricU.

Than you DaleSpam for replying. Actually, I took this equation from a paper which plotted it. When I tried to so do, the program gave may little bit different results, so, I thought that I wrote the program incorrectly using Mathematica. But after I posted this thread, I solved the problem, which was a matter of signs and powers.

Sorry for that, and thanks again.

Regards

how we can find the law of formation of sequence in mathimatica? pleasezz help.

Hi Mike^now, welcome to PF

What does "law of formation of sequence" mean?

it is a general rule to write a sequence. like 1/2,1/4,1/8/1/16,1/32... has a general rule (1/2^n. where n = number of term.

That is not possible to do in general. No matter how many terms you write out, unless you already know the rule, you cannot know the next term.

For example, with the sequence you gave the next number could be 1/32, or the sequence could be cyclic and the next number could be 1/2 again, or it could be a bitshift of a floating point number with 5 bits of precision so that the next term is 0, etc.

Hmm, apparently they have a function which tries anyway:
FindSequenceFunction

This function does not provide general term of sequence ( 4/3,5/4,6/5,7/6...)

By writting FindSequenceFunction[{1, 4/3, 5/4, 6/5, 7/6, 8/7, 9/8}, n] produce as it is. no result.

even i tried sequence starting from 0 as well as from 1 and still it does not produce any formula of general term.

Last edited:
Well, that does not surprise me. As I said, it is fundamentally an impossible question. It is pretty impressive that it ever works.

1. How do I write an equation using Mathematica?

To write an equation using Mathematica, you first need to open the program and create a new notebook. Then, you can start typing your equation using standard mathematical notation. If you are not familiar with Mathematica's syntax, you can use the "Insert" menu to add symbols and functions to your equation.

2. What is the difference between Mathematica's equation editor and other software?

Mathematica's equation editor is unique in that it uses natural language input, which means you can type equations as you would say them in plain English. This makes it easier for non-mathematicians to use and understand. Additionally, Mathematica's equation editor allows for more complex and advanced mathematical operations compared to other software.

3. Can I solve equations using Mathematica?

Yes, Mathematica has powerful built-in functions for solving equations. You can use the "Solve" or "NSolve" functions to find numerical or exact solutions to equations. There are also functions for finding roots, minimizing or maximizing functions, and solving differential equations.

4. Is it possible to plot equations in Mathematica?

Absolutely. In fact, Mathematica is an excellent tool for creating visual representations of mathematical equations. You can use the "Plot" function to generate 2D plots of equations or the "Plot3D" function for 3D plots. These plots can be customized with different colors, labels, and styles to enhance their visual impact.

5. Can I export my equations from Mathematica to other programs?

Yes, Mathematica allows you to export your equations in various formats, such as PDF, image files, or even LaTeX code. This makes it easy to incorporate your equations into other documents or presentations. You can also copy and paste equations directly into other software, such as Microsoft Word or Google Docs.