What's the best way to self teach in order to do research?

In summary, the speaker is a junior double majoring in Chemical Engineering and Math who has been offered a project in the ChE department that could potentially lead to a master's degree just a year after completing their B.S. However, they have been advised to learn Sturm-Liouville and Separation of Variables before starting, which will also be covered in their upcoming math class on PDE's. They are seeking advice on the best way to learn this material without structured coursework and are recommended to read textbooks and research papers on the subject. Additionally, it is suggested to find a preferred writing style and to read review articles and follow up on important references for a more in-depth understanding.
Krique
Cliffs:

- ChE & Math double major, currently a junior.
- Just got offered a project in ChE department that starts after Thanksgiving.
- Project could turn into head start on Thesis, letting me get a masters only a year after my B.S.
- Told to learn Sturm-Liouville => Separation of Variables as they apply to PDE's before starting (and I assume their application to transport phenomena, I really wasn't told much as of now).
- Am taking a math class on PDE's next semester, which touches on what I should know but not enough and not soon enough.

How should I start? What is the best way to learn something without having homework, lectures, quizzes, etc? Is there a good book that anyone can recommend to me for this particular situation? I have my Diff Eq book, which I plan on reading through some and doing some problems out of.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like haberman's book on PDE's as a nice not too difficult introduction. It has a good section on Sturm Liouville problems.

I'd start by going down to the library and downloading the papers that your new research group has written. They may turn out to be incomprehensible, but look for terms and equations that get repeated and then go and look for textbooks and tutorials that explain those terms.

Best way with a well-established topic is to get a few textbooks, see which writing style you like the most, and follow the chapters on the subject for a couple of days. If there are no errors and the style has a lot of descriptive text to go with the equations it can be very useful.

If it's not a well-established topic then try to locate some review articles, read and re-read, and follow up the important references.

That's been my understanding in my early learning process for self-study at a postgrad level.

1. What are the benefits of self-teaching for research?

Self-teaching allows for flexibility and independence in the learning process. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the subject matter as the individual takes ownership of their learning.

2. How can I structure my self-teaching to be effective for research?

Creating a schedule and setting specific goals for each study session can help structure the self-teaching process. It's also important to utilize various resources such as books, online courses, and hands-on experiments.

3. What are some tips for staying motivated while self-teaching for research?

Setting achievable goals, taking breaks, and seeking support from peers or mentors can help with motivation. It's also important to remember the end goal and the impact the research can have.

4. What are some potential challenges of self-teaching for research?

Self-teaching may require more discipline and time management skills. It can also be challenging to find reliable resources and stay focused without the structure of a traditional classroom setting.

5. How can I track my progress while self-teaching for research?

Keeping a journal or log of what has been learned and achieved can help track progress. Seeking feedback from peers or mentors can also provide insight into areas of improvement.