Calculate a diver's turns in air

• Thread starter agadag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, the rotational inertia for a diver in a pike position is 15.5 kg m2 and 8.0 kg m2 in a tucked position. If the diver jumps off a 10.0-m platform with an initial angular momentum of 106 kg m2/s, he can make 4.5 turns in a tucked position and 1.4 turns in a pike position. To solve this problem, the equations used are angular momentum = I*ω and n = (wf/2πe) t, where t is the time it takes for the diver to fall to the water.
agadag

Homework Statement

The rotational inertia for a diver in a pike position is about 15.5 kg m2; it is only 8.0 kg m2 in a tucked position (the figure above).

(a) If the diver gives himself an initial angular momentum of 106 kg m2/s as he jumps off the board, how many turns can he make when jumping off a 10.0-m platform in a tuck position? [Hint: Gravity exerts no torque on the person as he falls; assume he is rotating throughout the 10.0 m dive.]

(b) How many in a pike position?

Homework Equations

WiIi= WfIf
n= (wf/2Pie) t

The Attempt at a Solution

The teacher mildly went over this problem in class. These are the eqns he gave us. I tried to solve for wf and substituted that answer in the second eqn to find the number of turns in time t, which i calculated thru the eqn :
h=vit + 1/2 at2
I really have NO idea how to do this problem, i only know these eqns from wat the instructor provided. If you can please teach me how to go about solving the problem and understanding it, i would really truly appreciate it! Thanks!

Attachments

• divers.gif
    divers.gif
    21.3 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you just need angular momentum = I*ω to find ω?
After that, use your second formula to get the number of turns in the time it takes to fall to the water.

First, let's define some variables:
Ii = initial moment of inertia (given as 8.0 kg m^2 for tucked position)
If = final moment of inertia (given as 15.5 kg m^2 for pike position)
Wi = initial angular momentum (given as 106 kg m^2/s)
Wf = final angular momentum (unknown)
t = time (unknown)
n = number of turns (unknown)

To solve for Wf, we can use the equation WiIi = WfIf and rearrange it to solve for Wf:
Wf = (WiIi)/If
Substituting in the given values, we get:
Wf = (106 kg m^2/s * 8.0 kg m^2) / 15.5 kg m^2
Wf = 54.19 kg m^2/s

Next, we can use the equation n = (Wf/2πIi) * t to solve for the number of turns, where t is the time it takes for the diver to complete the 10.0 m dive. We can calculate t using the equation h = vit + 1/2 at^2, where h is the height of the platform (10.0 m), vi is the initial velocity (0 m/s since the diver is starting from rest), and a is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.8 m/s^2). Solving for t, we get:
t = √(2h/a)
t = √(2*10.0 m / -9.8 m/s^2)
t = 1.43 s

Now, we can plug in the values for Wf, Ii, and t to solve for n:
n = (54.19 kg m^2/s / 2π * 8.0 kg m^2) * 1.43 s
n = 1.81 turns

Therefore, the diver can make approximately 1.8 turns in a pike position when jumping off a 10.0 m platform with an initial angular momentum of 106 kg m^2/s. Similarly, you can use the same method to solve for the number of turns in a tucked position.

What is the purpose of calculating a diver's turns in air?

The purpose of calculating a diver's turns in air is to determine the number of rotations or spins a diver performs in the air during a dive. This data can be used to evaluate a diver's technique and performance, as well as for scoring in competitions.

How is a diver's turns in air calculated?

To calculate a diver's turns in air, the number of rotations or spins must be counted and recorded. This can be done by visually observing the diver or using specialized equipment such as video analysis software. The number of turns is typically measured from the moment the diver leaves the board or platform until they enter the water.

What factors can affect a diver's turns in air?

There are several factors that can affect a diver's turns in air, including the type of dive performed, the height of the dive, the speed and angle of takeoff, and the diver's body position and technique. Environmental factors such as wind and water conditions can also impact the number of turns a diver is able to perform.

Why is it important to accurately calculate a diver's turns in air?

Accurately calculating a diver's turns in air is important for several reasons. It provides valuable data for coaches and judges to evaluate a diver's performance and progress. It also ensures fair and consistent scoring in competitions. Additionally, monitoring turns in air can help identify areas for improvement and track a diver's progress over time.

Are there any safety considerations when calculating a diver's turns in air?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when calculating a diver's turns in air. Distractions or obstructions that could impact the accuracy of the count should be avoided. It is also important to ensure that equipment used for counting turns is functioning properly and does not pose any safety hazards. Divers should also follow proper safety protocols and have proper training and supervision when attempting difficult or high-risk dives.