Yes/No question about Minkowski-diagrams

• Thread starter bjnartowt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the components of a four-vector, specifically x/ct Minkowski-diagrams, and how they are invariant under Lorentz transformations. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using p/E Minkowski-diagrams to visualize messy collision problems, but the speaker is unsure of their usefulness in this context.
bjnartowt

Homework Statement

We have x/ct Minkowski-diagrams

Homework Equations

x/ct are components of a four-vector. Four-vector-inner-products (w/Minkowski-metric) are invariant under Lorentz transformations.

The Attempt at a Solution

...Are there p/E minkowski-diagrams? (That is: momentum/energy Minkowski-diagrams). I am wondering if they'll help me visualize messy collision-problems better... :-|

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, you could draw a graph with energy on the vertical axis and momentum on the horizontal axis. It's useful for plotting dispersion relations, functions that describe how a particle's energy depends on its momentum. I don't really see how they'd help you with collision problems, though. (If you figure out something, I'm interested)

1. What is a Minkowski-diagram?

A Minkowski-diagram is a graphical representation of events in special relativity, where the x-axis represents space and the y-axis represents time. It is used to visualize the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

2. How is a Minkowski-diagram different from a regular Cartesian graph?

A Minkowski-diagram has a rotated x-axis, with time on the vertical axis, and a scale that includes the speed of light. This allows for the representation of events in both space and time, as opposed to just space in a regular Cartesian graph.

3. What is the purpose of using a Minkowski-diagram?

The purpose of using a Minkowski-diagram is to understand the effects of special relativity on space and time. It helps to visualize concepts such as time dilation and length contraction, and to solve problems related to these concepts.

4. How do you plot a point on a Minkowski-diagram?

To plot a point on a Minkowski-diagram, you need to know the coordinates of the event in both space and time. These coordinates are then marked on the graph, with the x-coordinate representing the distance in space and the y-coordinate representing the time interval.

5. Can a Minkowski-diagram be used for any type of motion?

Yes, a Minkowski-diagram can be used for any type of motion, as long as it is in accordance with the principles of special relativity. It is most commonly used for objects moving at high speeds, but can also be used for stationary objects and objects with constant velocities.