Should I continue to work for this prof if he can't fund me?

• Thread starter creepypasta13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, It seems like the student is currently enrolled in engineering classes and doing research with a math professor, but is looking for more engineering-related work. They are unsure if they should continue working with the math professor who can only offer limited hours and may not be able to pay them. They are considering waiting until the summer when they may have the opportunity to work with an engineering professor through a program. It is recommended that the student have an honest conversation with the math professor about payment and their future plans, as it is important to maintain a good relationship with professors and not make excuses for leaving a project. A good letter of recommendation cannot be guaranteed, but it is important to communicate openly and professionally.
creepypasta13
I'm recently graduated after the fall quarter with my BS in physics and applied math, but am now currently enrolling/auditing engineering classes since I've decided i probably want to do engineering as a career. I'm currently doing research with a math professor, but its not quite the work I'm looking for since its not related to engineering at all. its mostly just doing c++, with no numerical analysis or anything involved. he can only hire me for 10 hrs/wk this quarter, and needs some time to figure out if he can pay/fund me this quarter or not, as I've previously worked for him voluntarily but now i want to get paid.

Since i'll probably get admitted to the SULI program for the summer with an engineering prof (i got accepted for the winter term but had to reject it due to a family crisis situation), i can always wait until then to work with an engineering researcher. That, in addition to the fact that I've already done an REU 2 years ago, would give me the 3 necessary profs to apply to grad schools. So I would have no need to work for an engineering prof right now, correct? Even if i wanted to, i couldn't anyways since I've recently asked engineering profs to do research with, and they all said they don't need students, i don't have the engineering background, etc.

so what should i do about my current prof? if he doesn't pay me, i don't see any need to continue working with him, unless he gives me a project related to engineering, but i doubt it

Physics news on Phys.org
creepypasta13 said:
so what should i do about my current prof? if he doesn't pay me, i don't see any need to continue working with him, unless he gives me a project related to engineering, but i doubt it

If you're not interested in the work and can't spare the time, you don't need to continue it. Just keep a good relationship with the professor and be polite when discussing why you're leaving his project. None of the profs I know have any hard feelings towards students who leave, 'cause they get that the work isn't for everybody.

I hope you've been keeping in touch with the prof you did an REU with, 'cause 2 years is a long time and lots of students ago.

So I would have no need to work for an engineering prof right now, correct?
Research in the field you want to go into is always a plus.

story645 said:
If you're not interested in the work and can't spare the time, you don't need to continue it. Just keep a good relationship with the professor and be polite when discussing why you're leaving his project. None of the profs I know have any hard feelings towards students who leave, 'cause they get that the work isn't for everybody.

well i can spare the time I guess, if he pays me. But what i should i do? go into his office and ask if he can pay me this quarter? if he says no, just make up an excuse as to why i can't work for him this quarter?

Professors are humans, and yes I know this is hard to believe but it is true.
From what I understand you are not doing any work for him that will in any way benefit you in the long run in terms of experience etc, which means that the only reasons for you to keep doing it would that you enjoy it OR you get paid. I am sure the professor in question will understand this..
Hence, my suggestion would be that you are honest, i.e. don't make up excuses. Simply ask him if he will have the money to employ this quarter, it should be obvious to him that you will leave if he says no and I would be very surprised if he gets annoyed or angry.

f95toli said:
Simply ask him if he will have the money to employ this quarter, it should be obvious to him that you will leave if he says no and I would be very surprised if he gets annoyed or angry.

so if he can't fund me, he won't get annoyed and hence will be able to write me a good LOR in the future, anyways?

Of course I can 't guarantee that. The guy might be a total *** as far as I know, but the point is that he will probably react just like any other normal person would.
Would YOU get annoyed if someone declined to work for free?

You can never be 100% sure that you will get a a good LOR regardless of what you do. Also remember that a LOR is -at least in theory- suppose to be "objective", i.e. it shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not you work for free (of course it doesn't always work that way).

Last year I had a student working with me for about 3 weeks, the idea being that he would get some experience working in a lab (and he was working for free). Now, he was a nice guy and did make an effort, but if I were to write a LOR I wouldn't exactly give him a glowing review; simply because he was one of those people who isn't very good at anything practical... The fact that I liked him is irrelevant when it comes to what I would write in a LOR (not that he would ask for one).

1. Should I continue to work for this professor if he can't fund me?

It depends on your personal circumstances and your long-term goals. If you are financially stable and can afford to work without funding, then you may choose to continue working for this professor if the research experience and mentorship are valuable to you. However, if you need funding to support yourself or if the lack of funding will significantly hinder your research progress, it may be wise to consider other options.

2. What are the potential consequences of working for a professor without funding?

Working without funding may mean that you have to take on additional teaching or research assistant duties, which could take away time and energy from your own research. It may also limit your resources and opportunities for professional development, such as attending conferences or workshops. Additionally, if the professor is unable to secure funding in the future, it may lead to the discontinuation of the project and your work may not be recognized or published.

3. Is it common for professors to not have funding for their research projects?

It is not uncommon for professors to face challenges in securing funding for their research projects. Funding is competitive and limited, and many factors can affect a professor's ability to secure funding, such as the current economic climate or the novelty of the research topic. However, it is ultimately the responsibility of the professor to secure funding for their projects and support their students.

4. How can I approach the professor about the issue of funding?

It is important to have an open and honest conversation with your professor about your concerns regarding funding. Schedule a meeting to discuss your financial needs and how the lack of funding may impact your work. It may also be helpful to suggest alternative funding sources or strategies to secure funding for the project. Be respectful and professional in your approach, and try to find a solution that works for both of you.

5. Should I consider finding another professor to work with if this one can't fund me?

This ultimately depends on your personal goals and priorities. If funding is crucial for your research and career development, and the professor is unable to secure it, you may need to consider finding another professor to work with. However, if the research experience and mentorship from this professor are valuable to you, you may choose to continue working with them and explore other funding opportunities.