Solving Circuit Resistor Equations: Current, Voltage, Power

In summary: So in short, if you want to find a solution where x = 0, the equation will be f(x) = 0, and one of the solutions to that equation will be I=0.
sonutulsiani

Homework Statement

Find current flowing through each resister, voltage across each resister and power consumed by each element in the following circuit.

See the attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The question I want to ask here is that is the current = 10 A? Because I got 2 answers for current, 0 A and 10 A.

I did this:

I combined 10 and 10 ohm resistors to get a 5 ohm resistor.
Now total power consumed=total power supplied

So I^2(3) + I^2(5) + I^2(2) = 100I
which gives I = 0 or 10. Which one should I take?

Attachments

• Circuit.jpg
    Circuit.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org

sonutulsiani said:

Homework Statement

Find current flowing through each resister, voltage across each resister and power consumed by each element in the following circuit.

See the attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The question I want to ask here is that is the current = 10 A? Because I got 2 answers for current, 0 A and 10 A.

I did this:

I combined 10 and 10 ohm resistors to get a 5 ohm resistor.
Now total power consumed=total power supplied

So I^2(3) + I^2(5) + I^2(2) = 100I
which gives I = 0 or 10. Which one should I take?

I=0 is called the degenerate solution, and is not physical in this case. Use I=10.

Ok but what is the reason again? What is degenerate solution ?

If you add up the resistor values, you can get the total current flowing because you know the supply voltage.

Then take this current and work out the voltage across each resistor and the power dissipated in it.

With this circuit, you can tell by looking at it that zero current is not an option.

sonutulsiani said:
Ok but what is the reason again? What is degenerate solution ?

I apologize if I'm using and incorrect term there. I've been googling for a bit trying to find you a good definition, with very little luck so far. By degenerate solution, I meant when the variable x = 0 is a solution to an equation f(x) = 0, and it is a solution because all terms in the equation are zero. It's like multiplying both side of any equation by zero, and saying, yes, both sides are equal now.

In your equation you had I on one side and all I^2 on the other. You should divide by I in that case, before solving the equation. If you do that, you will not end up with I=0 as a degenerate solution of the equation.

What is a resistor and what is its function in a circuit?

A resistor is an electrical component that restricts the flow of current in a circuit. It is used to control the amount of current or voltage in a circuit, and is often used to protect other components from being damaged by high levels of current.

What is Ohm's law and how is it used to solve circuit resistor equations?

Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points. This means that as voltage increases, current increases in proportion. Ohm's law is used to solve circuit resistor equations by using the formula V=IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. This formula allows us to calculate any one of these variables if we know the other two.

How do you calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all individual resistances. This means that if there are three resistors in a series, with values R1, R2, and R3, the total resistance would be R1+R2+R3. This is because in a series circuit, the current has no other path to take, so it must pass through each resistor in order.

How do you calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3, where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, and R3 are the individual resistances. This formula takes into account the fact that in a parallel circuit, the current can split and flow through multiple paths, resulting in a lower overall resistance.

What is the relationship between power, current, and voltage in a circuit?

Power is equal to the product of current and voltage. This means that as either current or voltage increases, power will also increase. This relationship is described by the formula P=IV, where P is power, I is current, and V is voltage. This formula is important in understanding the amount of energy being used in a circuit, and can help determine the appropriate size and capacity of components for a given circuit.