Electronic control of ac power

In summary, the conversation discusses using an electronic circuit to control AC power for a light bulb based on a sensor. The idea of using a relay is suggested and the individual asks for advice on what to consider when working with AC. It is clarified that not all AC power is 3-phase and a typical residential voltage is 120 VAC.
ramonegumpert
Hi Experts,

I would like to make an electronic circuit to control AC power to switch on and off a light bulb based on sensor.

Being new to this , i hope know what aspects i need to pay attention to when using DC to control AC?

sincerely
Ramone

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can use a relay.

Hi waht, that's a great idea. i thought about it before but have always been nervous about AC due to the 3 phase concept which i have not understood well. I thought i ask to see if there are other things i should consider when dealing with AC. I suppose power transistor is not suitable due to the high current in the 'live' wire? Thank you.

I am going to get myself a high power relay. cheers!

Last edited:
ramonegumpert said:
Hi waht, that's a great idea. i thought about it before but have always been nervous about AC due to the 3 phase concept which i have not understood well. I thought i ask to see if there are other things i should consider when dealing with AC. I suppose power transistor is not suitable due to the high current in the 'live' wire? Thank you.

I am going to get myself a high power relay. cheers!

You have 3-phase light bulbs? :wink:

Not all AC power is 3 phase. Typical residential power in the US is split-phase (i.e. a center tapped transformer). So the common household voltage of 120 VAC is single phase line to neutral.

CS

1. What is electronic control of AC power?

Electronic control of AC power refers to the use of electronic devices and circuits to regulate and manipulate the flow of alternating current (AC) electricity. This allows for precise control over the voltage, frequency, and phase of the AC power, making it useful in a variety of applications such as motor speed control, lighting dimming, and power supply regulation.

2. How does electronic control of AC power work?

Electronic control of AC power typically involves the use of solid-state devices such as transistors, thyristors, and diodes to control the flow of electricity. These devices can be switched on and off rapidly, allowing for precise control over the amount of power that is delivered to a load. In addition, electronic control circuits, such as pulse width modulation (PWM) controllers, are used to regulate the power output.

3. What are the advantages of electronic control of AC power?

Electronic control of AC power offers several advantages over traditional methods of power control, such as mechanical switches or variable resistors. These include faster response times, higher efficiency, and more precise control over the power output. In addition, electronic control allows for a wider range of control options, such as remote control and programmable settings.

4. What are the applications of electronic control of AC power?

Electronic control of AC power has a wide range of applications in various industries, including consumer electronics, industrial automation, and renewable energy systems. It is commonly used in devices such as motor drives, dimmer switches, and power supplies. It is also an essential component in solar inverters, wind turbine generators, and other renewable energy systems.

5. What are the potential challenges of electronic control of AC power?

While electronic control of AC power offers many benefits, it also presents some challenges. One of the main challenges is the potential for electromagnetic interference (EMI), which can affect the performance of other electronic devices and circuits. In addition, electronic control circuits may be more complex and require more specialized knowledge for design and troubleshooting compared to traditional power control methods.