Why do some of you use make-a-layman-scratch-head kinda words?

• Thread starter blank.black
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of high/strong vocabulary words in everyday settings and whether or not it is appropriate or necessary. The speakers mention that the social relationship with the person they are speaking to determines the words they use, and that using "strong" terms can be appealing because they have a clear meaning. They also give examples of using technical terms in public and adjusting their language when someone doesn't understand. Some speakers express concern about being misunderstood or using language that is too complex for others to understand.
blank.black
I understand that sometimes there is no choice but to use these never-heard-of high/strong vocabulary words but I mean when you go to the store or mall or some place of that sort where you come across different people from different walks of life, even at such places do you still use these kinda words? I mean does it ever occur to you that a store clerk may not have the slightest clue of what you are talking about? Or do you realize that and just use those "fancy" words on purpose?

Physics news on Phys.org
When I discuss quantum field theory with store clerks, I avoid using never-heard-of high/strong vocabulary words.

What words to use and way of talking is intuitively determined by the social relationship with the people you are talking about. I think most people would feel weird using terms common to mathematical arguments such as "if and only if" in a non-mathematical setting, even though they may use them often when discussing mathematics. The appeal of such "strong" terms is that they have a much more clear-cut meaning than "ordinary" words.

Last edited:
Can you give us examples of these "make-a-layman-scratch-head kinda words" that "we" use in public?

blank.black said:
I understand that sometimes there is no choice but to use these never-heard-of high/strong vocabulary words but I mean when you go to the store or mall or some place of that sort where you come across different people from different walks of life, even at such places do you still use these kinda words? I mean does it ever occur to you that a store clerk may not have the slightest clue of what you are talking about? Or do you realize that and just use those "fancy" words on purpose?

Maybe we should talk down to people, then?

blank.black said:

What fancy words?

I too would like to know which words are too fancy to use around store clerks.

Okay, okay, maybe "sublimation", but really, it was all in context and everything when I used it.

blank.black said:

. . . oughta' be a crime to describe something without giving real examples.

Jimmy Snyder said:
When I discuss quantum field theory with store clerks, I avoid using never-heard-of high/strong vocabulary words.

My thoughts precisey. The last time I used a long word with a store clerk in a deep discussion of the quantum world I got kicked out of the store... without my goods.

The way that I post here is the same as the way that I speak in person, other than the fact that I don't always use complete sentences in person. If there is an indication that someone doesn't understand me, I "dummy it down" to whatever extent is required.

I used the phrase "IEC power cord" in BestBuy in an attempt to buy a computer power lead.
I think in the end I managed to make the sales assistant understand - "bendy wire thing goes into magic hole in wall where invisible stuff comes out and makes glowing box work"

mgb_phys said:
I used the phrase "IEC power cord" in BestBuy in an attempt to buy a computer power lead.
I think in the end I managed to make the sales assistant understand - "bendy wire thing goes into magic hole in wall where invisible stuff comes out and makes glowing box work"
:rofl:

blank.black said:

It's hard to read such clumsy writing. We use a broader vocabulary in order to avoid all those unnecessary hyphens and run-on sentences! Look at how much difficulty you have expressing yourself...

An example - when someone asks you "how are you doing today?"...do you seriously reply saying "i am doing Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!"?

Ben Niehoff said:
It's hard to read such clumsy writing. We use a broader vocabulary in order to avoid all those unnecessary hyphens and run-on sentences! Look at how much difficulty you have expressing yourself...

ok...but think about how much difficulty store clerks would have in understanding your "broader vocabulary"...eventually leading to you using "unnecessary hyphens and run-on sentences".

OP, you talk down to people on purpose?

I have a friend who failed out of university but I wouldn't be surprised if he can destroy any of us with words. He's hardcore into philosophy and I haven't got a clue what he's saying sometimes. I just ask him to explain and tell him the words I don't know. I have no problem doing that and he has no problem explaining.

If a store clerk or a stranger has no clue what I'm saying and is too afraid to ask me what I mean, then it's their problem. I'm not going to pre-adjust to everyone just because everyone might be afraid.

An example - when someone asks you "how are you doing today?"...do you seriously reply saying "i am doing Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!"?

Indubitably.

brushman said:
Indubitably.

That doesn't count as a difficult word; everyone who watches Bugs Bunny knows it. :biggrin:

blank.black said:

:bugeye: This is the example you give? Is this whole thread based on a freak incident that you experienced by any chance? I'm pretty sure that I've never heard anyone say that word except in the context of talking about long words or in a discussion about stories-set-in-England-about-a-nanny-who-can-fly-using-her-umbrella-like like movies.

Jamma said:
:bugeye: This is the example you give? Is this whole thread based on a freak incident that you experienced by any chance? I'm pretty sure that I've never heard anyone say that word except in the context of talking about long words or in a discussion about stories-set-in-England-about-a-nanny-who-can-fly-using-her-umbrella-like like movies.

Now that is a very long albeit hyphenated word!

I must say, floccinaucinihilipilification is quite un-supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, especially in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Ben Niehoff said:
You mean "reciting"; not "iterating".

I had a quick glance at the name and it seemed to be almost iterating. Some words were at least repeated over and over again in similar sequences. Reciting would perhaps have been a more suitable word.

I was compelled to read an entry on divine simplicity in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy the other day by a link from an opinion blog in the New York Times which was the absolute height of bizarrely obtuse and convoluted language. If you think scientists are bad, don't ever, ever talk to a theologian.

Hmmm.

Intelligent people try to communicate their message in the most effective way possible; they don't use "big" words unless they are trying to make a strong point. Jerks are usually the ones who use "big" words to try to impress you but that's because they are generally spewing garbage (economists, in particular).

I don't think many people are noticing that the type of scenario they are imagining is not at all similar to the one the OP is flustered by based on his example

Office_Shredder said:
I don't think many people are noticing that the type of scenario they are imagining is not at all similar to the one the OP is flustered by based on his example
No kidding, his example is a song from Mary Poppins? In other words nonsense? Was intentionally not included in the op and wasted member's time?

What is a mythical creature similar to an orc?

Evo said:
What is a mythical creature similar to an orc?
In Tolkien's mythology, the nearest is a goblin... but orcs show up in different forms in different creators' work.

Danger said:
In Tolkien's mythology, the nearest is a goblin... but orcs show up in different forms in different creators' work.
Guess again, starts with a "t", not as intelligent as an orc.

Pffft. What a silly subject to troll about.

Can one discuss interacting galaxies without using phrases like "peculiar motion", for instance? It's a very simple concept, but not one that would come up when talking to the clerk at the convenience store when waiting for your change. Not big words, not hard to parse, but the phrase is used in a scientifically rigorous way in astrophysics.

lisab said:
Maybe we should talk down to people, then?

Would it be too much trouble? :shy:

Evo said:
Guess again, starts with a "t", not as intelligent as an orc.

If you refer to a troll, I disagree. Tolkien used the terms "orc" and "goblin" almost interchangeably, except that goblins were smaller in stature than orcs. They were of the same species, whereas trolls were another brand of critter.

Danger said:
If you refer to a troll, I disagree. Tolkien used the terms "orc" and "goblin" almost interchangeably, except that goblins were smaller in stature than orcs. They were of the same species, whereas trolls were another brand of critter.

Evo was referring to a troblin, a hybrid breeding between a male troll and a female goblin. These are far more rare than the groll, a hybrid between a male goblin and a female troll because of the propensity for the male troll to maim the female goblin in the mating process

<h2>1. Why do scientists use complex terminology?</h2><p>Scientists use complex terminology to accurately and precisely describe their findings and research. These words have specific meanings within the scientific community and help to avoid confusion or misinterpretation of results.</p><h2>2. Is using technical words a way for scientists to sound smarter?</h2><p>No, using technical words is not a way for scientists to sound smarter. It is simply a way to convey information in a clear and concise manner. In fact, many scientists strive to communicate their findings in a way that is easily understandable to the general public.</p><h2>3. Can't scientists just use simpler words to explain their work?</h2><p>While scientists do try to communicate their findings in a way that is accessible to the general public, some concepts and ideas in science are inherently complex and require technical terminology to accurately describe them. Additionally, using simpler words can sometimes oversimplify or distort the true meaning of the research.</p><h2>4. Does using technical words make science less accessible to non-scientists?</h2><p>Using technical words may make science seem less accessible to non-scientists, but it is important to remember that these words have specific meanings within the scientific community and are necessary for accurate communication of research. Scientists also make efforts to explain and define these terms in a way that is understandable to the general public.</p><h2>5. Why do some scientific terms sound like gibberish?</h2><p>Scientific terms may sound like gibberish because they are often derived from Latin or Greek words that have specific meanings within the scientific field. These words may seem unfamiliar or difficult to pronounce, but they are chosen for their precision and accuracy in describing scientific concepts.</p>

1. Why do scientists use complex terminology?

Scientists use complex terminology to accurately and precisely describe their findings and research. These words have specific meanings within the scientific community and help to avoid confusion or misinterpretation of results.

2. Is using technical words a way for scientists to sound smarter?

No, using technical words is not a way for scientists to sound smarter. It is simply a way to convey information in a clear and concise manner. In fact, many scientists strive to communicate their findings in a way that is easily understandable to the general public.

3. Can't scientists just use simpler words to explain their work?

While scientists do try to communicate their findings in a way that is accessible to the general public, some concepts and ideas in science are inherently complex and require technical terminology to accurately describe them. Additionally, using simpler words can sometimes oversimplify or distort the true meaning of the research.

4. Does using technical words make science less accessible to non-scientists?

Using technical words may make science seem less accessible to non-scientists, but it is important to remember that these words have specific meanings within the scientific community and are necessary for accurate communication of research. Scientists also make efforts to explain and define these terms in a way that is understandable to the general public.

5. Why do some scientific terms sound like gibberish?

Scientific terms may sound like gibberish because they are often derived from Latin or Greek words that have specific meanings within the scientific field. These words may seem unfamiliar or difficult to pronounce, but they are chosen for their precision and accuracy in describing scientific concepts.